• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pk64f100

Cold Dead hands
    Aug 24, 2013
    Carroll Co Md
    I have been thinking about this for some time now especially since the price of quality ammo for my 308 Win, 7.62x51, 35 Rem, 45 acp and 223, 5.56x45 have gone up so high. Since I am new to reload should I start with single knowing I will go very quickly once i learn how to a progressive set up? So my questions are which type press, which manufacturer and does it make sense with the state of our country and all new reg's?
    Thanks for any & all input!

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I have been thinking about this for some time now especially since the price of quality ammo for my 308 Win, 7.62x51, 35 Rem, 45 acp and 223, 5.56x45 have gone up so high. Since I am new to reload should I start with single knowing I will go very quickly once i learn how to a progressive set up? So my questions are which type press, which manufacturer and does it make sense with the state of our country and all new reg's?

My recommendation is that you start with a progressive, preferably a Dillon RL550B. You can run the Dillon 550 as a singe stage or as a progressive, just by pulling 3 pins. Another advantage is the dies stay in a toolhead, so your not constantly adjusting the dies (happens sometimes on a single stage), in addition to that, when you want to change calibers it will take less than 5 minutes on a 550. As of right now, I am making some pretty accurate 308 match loads on my 550, running it as a single stage press. I would be willing to teach you how to reload if you are up for it.

I had 2 threads stickied in the reloading section, one is for a Dillon RL550B and the other is for single stage presses. The links to both threads are in my sig.

Start Here: DA's Sticky on MDS

Thanks for the vote of confidence buddy!

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I started with a single stage press, they're handy to have even after you get a progressive press. Plus they don't take up near as much room as a progressive. Get a good, solid single stage press first, it makes learning a lot easier and it's easier to catch mistakes since you aren't dealing with a big mechanical monster on your bench. Just FYI, I've been reloading since 1989, I still use a single stage press, but I do have a turret press I got a few years back when I want to crank out a bunch of rounds.

BRONZ

Big Brother is Watching
    Jan 21, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    I got into reloading many years ago. While I have slowed down with all the kid activities. I still enjoy reloading more then shooting.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

Some key questions to consider:

What exactly is it that you want out of reloading?

How often do you go shooting? Considerations can change dramatically if your answer is 4 times a year vs. 4 times a month.

How much ammo volume do you expend on each trip? You're mentioning some cartridges that indicate the potential for a lot of volume.....others not so much.

Do you have the time and the desire to reload? See it as an extension of the shooting hobby and a seperate hobby that you think you'd enjoy, or as a means to save money? I'd suggest to you that you probably won't save money......in fact, you may find that there are times when you can't afford to "save" any more money. :) But reloading can be rewarding in and of itself......or not.....depends on the person. What reloading can do is to allow you the ability to shoot more for the same dollars expended. Rather than saving money per se, I'd suggest to you that this is what more oftentimes happens. It's especially true with certain cartridges where the cost spread between reloads and factory ammo tends to be substantially greater than with some others.

These are but a few considerations. There are no right or wrong answers to these questions. There are only the answers that are right or wrong for you. Know that you can make excellent quality ammo on a single stage press. You just can't make it as quickly. Much depends on what sort of capability and capacity you need.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head

How often do you go shooting? Considerations can change dramatically if your answer is 4 times a year vs. 4 times a month.

How much ammo volume do you expend on each trip? You're mentioning some cartridges that indicate the potential for a lot of volume.....others not so much.

Do you have the time and the desire to reload? See it as an extension of the shooting hobby and a seperate hobby that you think you'd enjoy, or as a means to save money? I'd suggest to you that you probably won't save money......in fact, you may find that there are times when you can't afford to "save" any more money. :) But reloading can be rewarding in and of itself......or not.....depends on the person. What reloading can do is to allow you the ability to shoot more for the same dollars expended. Rather than saving money per se, I'd suggest to you that this is what more oftentimes happens. It's especially true with certain cartridges where the cost spread between reloads and factory ammo tends to be substantially greater than with some others.

These are but a few considerations. There are no right or wrong answers to these questions. There are only the answers that are right or wrong for you. Know that you can make excellent quality ammo on a single stage press. You just can't make it as quickly. Much depends on what sort of capability and capacity you need.

Boy I have asked those questions a 100 times to OP's myself. I think someone needs to start another sticky of "So... You Want To Reload ?" Simply to point out the primary questions of why you even want to get started.

ihriec

Aug 10, 2013
    I suggest you go for it. I find it relaxing, rewarding (since I work in an office and only push paper) and I save quite a bit of money. Also, it's been a great way for me to learn about the sport and my guns by experimenting with different loads.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    I just went thru the same decision.

I ended u with a dillon 550 for all the reasons DA mentions and having spent a couple of hours with him it is worth doing so if you can make the trip. Great teacher!!

For how much I shoot, couldn't justify more spread to go to the 650 and since the 650 auto indexes, much harder to run as a single stage without tinkering and removing linkages.

If you go dillon, Consider purchasing from bob Mancer of Maryland ReloadR he spends quite a bit of time going they the machine setup (you do it, not him) and it is a great introduction.

I calibrated the dies, built some ammo and then test fired in my pistol before leaving his house.

scrub buck

Nov 1, 2013
    I say go for it. I just bought my first press, but have used a few buddys in the past. For me it was a simple decision. I don't own a semi anything, just bolt action hunting guns, so i bought a rcbs rockchucker single stage. It is what i'm familar with, and produces great ammo.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Boy I have asked those questions a 100 times to OP's myself. I think someone needs to start another sticky of "So... You Want To Reload ?" Simply to point out the primary questions of why you even want to get started.

I'll start working on a new thread tomorrow after I wake up, going into all of those questions and more.

dweaver

Jun 8, 2013
    Washington Co. MD
    See it as an extension of the shooting hobby and a seperate hobby that you think you'd enjoy, or as a means to save money? I'd suggest to you that you probably won't save money......in fact, you may find that there are times when you can't afford to "save" any more money. :) But reloading can be rewarding in and of itself......or not.....depends on the person.

Good info! For me it was a number of random reasons why I got started in reloading but the above is definitely the reasons I stick with and love to do it. The satisfaction of producing the rounds that i shoot and being able to tune and control the factors of the ammo(ie. Accuracy).

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Great idea! That said, I love to reload, mostly shoot reloaded ammo out of all but my rimfires. Used to do it to load ammo that shot well, now you can buy ammo that shoots well and uses premium bullets, so there is less need, but I will never stop... LOL

I use a single stage, but I don't shoot a ton of ammo, so I don't really need a progressive. Got a buddy that is going to setup a progressive and I'll just go use his for any quick needs I have for a bunch of ammo, but I will be building on my inventory this winter with the ol single stroker.. ;)

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

I'm going to start the thread here in a few minutes. If it is ok with you, can I use your thread title idea?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Looking forward to seeing that take shape. You did a damned nice job on your single stage sticky!:thumbsup:

Thank you sir! I can only take credit for doing the typing on most of it, but the entire first post has been and will always be a team effort by all of the reloaders on the forum. They have helped me with both of the sticky threads so the credit belong to all of them too.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

I added your questions and more to the "So... You want to reload?" thread.

Looking forward to seeing that take shape. You did a damned nice job on your single stage sticky!:thumbsup:

The thread is created and it is up!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I typically recommend starting with a single stage, as it you will always have use for it, even when moving to a progressive.

As for a progressive, how much do you shoot? With my 650, I can load 1000 rounds of .45 in an hour. If you only shoot a 1000 a year, the progressive will get used 1 hour per year. :)

And what type of shooting? I load my plinking and handgun ammo on the progressive, but the precision rifle rounds are loaded on the single stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom