• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CSHS

Apr 21, 2015
    Getting back into reloading skeet/trap. Shocked at the cost of shot. What are the best places for shot and approximately what do you pay for 25#.

Is reclaimed shot any good (washed, regraphite).

Good locations for powder?

As always, thanks.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    I was just getting back into it before I got sick but I always had a problem buying shot. I used to find it at Gander Mountian York PA in the fall in big wood bins. I usually use 71/2 chilled shot ( that went fast) at 1200 fps that is what most trap ranges spec. The powder is usually pistol powder I use Universal Clays myself. If people aren't hoarding it I found it there too. You may ask the same question in the shotgun forum. Maybe other trap shooters can help. I'm trying to bump your question.

Not sure what 25# is.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Don't know where you are, but try W.E.Sell Sporting goods in Hanover pa. They have a good supply of reloading gear.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I can't remember too accurate but Shyda's was like $36 for 25 lbs of shot cash price last time I was there in October. It was definitely higher than that prior to that and I have no idea what the current prices are.

It's not a bad ride if you're up here by the PA line, but would suck the further south you live in Maryland.

CSHS

Apr 21, 2015
    I was just getting back into it before I got sick but I always had a problem buying shot. I used to find it at Gander Mountian York PA in the fall in big wood bins. I usually use 71/2 chilled shot ( that went fast) at 1200 fps that is what most trap ranges spec. The powder is usually pistol powder I use Universal Clays myself. If people aren't hoarding it I found it there too. You may ask the same question in the shotgun forum. Maybe other trap shooters can help. I'm trying to bump your question.

Not sure what 25# is.

Before it became "hashtag", the # symbol meant pounds.

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    no. 9 is hard for me to find in my local shops, so I usually purchase it straight from Lawrence. I've never shot reclaimed, due to what are most likely rumors. I've heard of small rocks/pebbles mixed in. I dunno.

http://www.lawrencebrandshot.com/lead-shot/

Buy in pairs, as shipping for odd numbers gets expensive. They ship USPS priority.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Yeah, you really need to screen reclaimed shot once you get it. I doubt many people put a whole lot of effort in making sure all the pebbles are out.

Reclaimed ain't all that, it patterns weird. Good for farm shoots but it wouldn't be my first choice even in my weekend warrior Sporting Clays.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    So it depends on how much you want to buy and how far you want to drive. Locally, PG trap and skeet sells powder and shot. I believe their shot is $45.00/25#. They're having the same problems getting powder as everyone else but they sell it in 4# containers. If you don't mind driving up to Shyda's in Lebanon PA they're cheaper at $34.00 a bag. They charge extra for credit so bring cash or check. If you buy 10 bags they'll knock off $1.00/ bag. 10 bags = $10.00. I'll split an order with a friend to get to ten bags. Their prices and selection of powder is better too.

There is another place 10 minutes from Shyda's called Richland's in Richlands PA. Lately their prices have been better than Shyda's. So I get some orders together from my friends and ride up with a couple of friends too. We stop at Richlands first then go to Shyda's for whatever we can't get at Richlands. We then stop for lunch and then make our way back. I do this 2 or 3 times a year. We split the $30.00 of gas between everyone's orders. The friends that don't go are happy to get their stuff delivered to them at our club and we have a nice day trip. To me it's cheaper than having everything shipped. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    So it depends on how much you want to buy and how far you want to drive. Locally, PG trap and skeet sells powder and shot. I believe their shot is $45.00/25#. They're having the same problems getting powder as everyone else but they sell it in 4# containers. If you don't mind driving up to Shyda's in Lebanon PA they're cheaper at $34.00 a bag. They charge extra for credit so bring cash or check. If you buy 10 bags they'll knock off $1.00/ bag. 10 bags = $10.00. I'll split an order with a friend to get to ten bags. Their prices and selection of powder is better too.

There is another place 10 minutes from Shyda's called Richland's in Richlands PA. Lately their prices have been better than Shyda's. So I get some orders together from my friends and ride up with a couple of friends too. We stop at Richlands first then go to Shyda's for whatever we can't get at Richlands. We then stop for lunch and then make our way back. I do this 2 or 3 times a year. We split the $30.00 of gas between everyone's orders. The friends that don't go are happy to get their stuff delivered to them at our club and we have a nice day trip. To me it's cheaper than having everything shipped. YMMV.

^^^This. Quite simply, this!^^^ :thumbsup:

CSHS

Apr 21, 2015
    Cabela's had free shipping the last few days so we got shot delivered for $39.99 a bag. Still on the search for a good deal on 4 lbs of Clays and 1000 209 primers. Thanks for the Shyda's tip.

CSHS

Apr 21, 2015
    I was on a road trip, so I stopped here. http://www.steelcityguns.com/ It's in the Pittsburgh/Monroeville area. Nice guy, basically sells out of his home. Best selection and quantity of powder I've seen anywhere. Got Hodgdon Clays at $18.99 a pound out the door. W209 primers $3.64 a hundred. Rio Magnum shot $39.59 a bag. Call him if you're in the area.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    I was on a road trip, so I stopped here. http://www.steelcityguns.com/ It's in the Pittsburgh/Monroeville area. Nice guy, basically sells out of his home. Best selection and quantity of powder I've seen anywhere. Got Hodgdon Clays at $18.99 a pound out the door. W209 primers $3.64 a hundred. Rio Magnum shot $39.59 a bag. Call him if you're in the area.

Not too far from this dealer is CAC Associates. Good prices! It's s little far for me but a good place.

http://www.cacassociatesinc.com/index.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom