• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Shot a Mossberg 500 today and DANG I forgot how much they kick. Shot about ten rounds and I no longer had the urge.

Go ahead say it "WHIMP", but I def. respect the power of the shotgun. Shot 12 gauge buck shot, tore up a target. Nothing in the way of that thing would be happy.

I like my handguns, puny as they are.

TD

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    I just recently bought a limbsaver for my Mossy. After shooting 15 rounds of slugs at the Freestate Big Boom night, my shoulder was sore for 3 days.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Wimp! Okay I had to. Anyways make sure to place the shotgun in the pocket of your shoulder and lean into it. Then if that don't help buy a limbsaver or Blackhawk Knoxx Recoil Reducing stock.

Atec

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    Maryland
    Shot a Mossberg 500 today and DANG I forgot how much they kick. Shot about ten rounds and I no longer had the urge.

Go ahead say it "WIMP", but I def. respect the power of the shotgun. Shot 12 gage buck shot, tore up a target. Nothing in the way of that thing would be happy.

I like my handguns, puny as they are.

TD

:lol:

Wimp !
    Do you want me to send up next door neighbors daughter
    to help you package the lighters when they arrive. I would not want you to pull your back out.

And ask her how she did at the range after going through a box of twelve Guage. Of course I will have to get her parents permission first she just turned 13.:D:D

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    wimp! lol

i can understand. maybe you are holding the shotgun wrong? build some chest muscle may help cushioning the recoil. lol

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Im am only disappointed it took you guys this long. If you are sending any petite, hot, females please make sure they are of the appropriate age as I will be checking IDs.

Great idea to send a few babes to help me pack the lighters, kinda a lot of lighters though so I should probably have 2 or 3 helping out.
    :lol:

Actually I think one of the reasons was no recoil pad on the mossberg, if so it was VERY thin. Don't think I am any worse for wear, but my heart is warm from all your concern.:sad20:

TD

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Holding it wrong is a good point. I noticed about five stations into 50 rounds of sporting clays recently that one of the new guys was leaning his head way over and mounting the recoil pad between his shoulder and bicep. Wowser. He already had one hell of a bruise by then and his arm was stiff and painful.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Holding it wrong is a good point. I noticed about five stations into 50 rounds of sporting clays recently that one of the new guys was leaning his head way over and mounting the recoil pad between his shoulder and bicep. Wowser. He already had one hell of a bruise by then and his arm was stiff and painful.

Any pics on the correct way. Im a handgun guy so it is very possible I was doing something incorrect. I await knowledge..................

TD

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Any pics on the correct way. Im a handgun guy so it is very possible I was doing something incorrect. I await knowledge..................

TD

put the butt of the shotgun on your chest.. make sure no gap. ive seen people put it on their shoulder joint or near it.

http://artofmanliness.com/2012/06/06/a-beginners-guide-to-the-shotgun/

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    High up and planted firmly on your chest, at or just below the collar bone. Close to your cheek so that your head does not tilt sideways. Your head might be a bit forward for best sighting if you prefer to shoulder a little low (below the collar bone). Important is if the shotgun properly fits you (length of pull, buttstock drop, cast on/off). You will get bruised badly no matter how hard you try if the shotgun is not a good fit for your body frame.

The gentlemen below are shouldering correctly and demonstrate high and low shouldering with head straight up versus canted forward. First timers with no training or practice tend to mount on their shoulder/bicep area like the girl below and end up badly bruised.

Attachments

• 260.jpg
      260.jpg
      31.7 KB · Views: 101
    • 750px-Benelli_M4_Super_90.jpg
      750px-Benelli_M4_Super_90.jpg
      107.4 KB · Views: 104
    • Ashinator+with+shotgun.jpg
      Ashinator+with+shotgun.jpg
      68.5 KB · Views: 103

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Had to use a little girl for the wrong way huh? And of course big guys in camo for the right way. :innocent0

Don't feel like I have a bruise, but I do think I was tilting my head to much so I am sure I had it to far out towards my arm.

TD

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    It's a glimpse of reality. The folks in uniform are trained. Many kids receive none.

Let's turn it around. How's this? First photo is a guy who shot similarly to the girl above. Second photo is a girl being trained to shoot properly. Third and fourth photos are women in Olympic shooting, without question very skilled, one shouldering low with head canted forward and the other shouldering somewhat higher.

Attachments

• bruise.jpg
      bruise.jpg
      10.2 KB · Views: 95
    • DSC_0136.JPG
      DSC_0136.JPG
      29.3 KB · Views: 93
    • olympic_shotgun.jpg
      olympic_shotgun.jpg
      11.4 KB · Views: 92
    • 84_115_zemfira.jpg
      84_115_zemfira.jpg
      16.6 KB · Views: 88

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    No bruise, just a little sore. From the area that is sore I think I was somewhere between the wrong and right place. If I get one I'll go out and get someone who knows what they are doing to help me out.

TD

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    Light pumps kick. Slugs kick. Buckshot kicks. An ill fitted gun kicks.. Once you learn, buy the right gun and shoot the right loads, there is little recoil and 100-200 rounds a day is not really a problem. It's a learning curve.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Light pumps kick. Slugs kick. Buckshot kicks. An ill fitted gun kicks.. Once you learn, buy the right gun and shoot the right loads, there is little recoil and 100-200 rounds a day is not really a problem. It's a learning curve.

yup..

but i cheat a little for buck shots and slugs.. my beretta has that recoil feature
    urika-2-dt.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom