• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    So I might be in the market for a new/used 22lr rifle. Not my first .22lr. I just have an itch for another. I haven't been in a dedicated gun store in while so I'm out of touch with who specializes in what. Seeing as how gas is what it is and my free time is really short lately, I can't just go randomly driving store to store like back in the good ole days. Can anyone recommend a shop that you know has a nice selection of rimfires in stock to check out? I'm in eastern Baltimore, but willing to go to surrounding counties if I know a shop is worth the trip. Thanks guys!

On a side note of the good ole days. I remember my dad and I driving to 6 or 7 shops in multiple counties all in one day just to find me a Mini-14 for my very first purchase. Man those were good times!

Last edited:

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The Ruger 10-22 is a standard and should always be considered. When it comes to bolt guns it's hard to beat CZ dollar for dollar...they make a superb rifle for the money.

Can't help you with gun stores...not familiar with your area of operations.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    The 10-22 is my all time favorite semi-auto .22! The CZ is one that has always been on my radar, but I never came across one back in my shop hopping days. I actually get out to Frederick about once a month. Any shop I should go out of my way to check out when I'm in your neck of the woods?

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Frederick isn't the best place for gun deals...too few dealers so little competition here. You might check with Brian at South Carroll Sporting Goods in Woodbine. He's an internet partner here and gives as good or better deals than anyone else...plus he's personally a super guy and will treat you right.

In Frederick itself is The Gun Center...most here don't like them but if you talk to Kevin there he'll treat you right. The owner is an ass-hat. The Machine Gun Nest is a great place but their inventory isn't that great...they deal mostly in transfers and the indoor range and classes. Gunrunners in downtown Frederick has a good name but limited hours as it's a part-time business for the owner. Gun Shack in Mt. Airy has always been good to me but due to Covid the last two years I'm rarely in that area so I don't know what they might have in stock. A call to them could get you that info.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    The CZ 457 American looks hard to beat if you're into factory bolt actions with exceptionally good out of the box accuracy

That said, can't go wrong with a Ruger 10/22 or a Marlin model 60 for plinking

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Its not super close to you but Ron at 3R guns in Hagerstown always has a lot of 10-22s. Its a small home shop but he usually has a round lazy susan rack that is entirely different varieties of 10-22. You could call to check inventory before making the drive. He has limited hours so you should call first anyway.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Thanks for the info guys! Looks like I have a few shops to call.

I think this time around I may want another bolt gun. Though, the right model/price 10-22 could easily convince me to add another to the pile! I'm pretty much not set on any particular model. I just want to find a shop that has a bunch to look at!

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Continental Arms in Timonium has a good selection of 22s. They had a whole pile of Tippman M4s the last time I was there. That's probably my next Rimfire.
    2A Sales in Jessup is a CZ dealer. They almost always have a couple of CZ 457s in stock

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    That is a big category. If you don't have any real criteria on what you want and just want to see if something looks cool, probably best to go to a gunshow being most shops don't have a big variety. If you have more specific criteria or a model or two then you can usually pull up that manufacturer's dealer locator and see if someone has it. IMO easiest is to have a decent transfer dealer lined up, do the research and narrow it down online, and order it. Will probably have a different answer if you are looking for a lever action cowboy rifle vs nice target bolt action vs something AR22 platform. IMO for a non-regulated rifle I would probably shop southern PA gun shows, lots of variety, within an hour or so of Bmore, and they can sell to MDers.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Saint Firearms on Back River Neck Rd poasted a video on Facebook today. They have a rack of 22's, including a 10-22, M-1 Carbine pattern 22, Rossi Pump amd some others

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I think as availability improves, so will dealers rimfire inventories. Demand is there. I know I'm not the only one who made the switch from centerfire to rimfire during the past couple of years. Prices for centerfire ammo have improved but, still nowhere near pre-March 2020. Meanwhile, I'm happy to plink-away with a .22 rifle until the cows come home. No problemo.

I don't know how practical/sustainable dedicating a part of your shop exclusively to rimfire rifles and handguns would be but, if you did, I'd probably be a regular shopper. I like being able to fondle the merchandise before I buy it and willing (before $5-a-gallon gas) to drive a considerable distance.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    That is a big category. If you don't have any real criteria on what you want and just want to see if something looks cool, probably best to go to a gunshow being most shops don't have a big variety. If you have more specific criteria or a model or two then you can usually pull up that manufacturer's dealer locator and see if someone has it. IMO easiest is to have a decent transfer dealer lined up, do the research and narrow it down online, and order it. Will probably have a different answer if you are looking for a lever action cowboy rifle vs nice target bolt action vs something AR22 platform. IMO for a non-regulated rifle I would probably shop southern PA gun shows, lots of variety, within an hour or so of Bmore, and they can sell to MDers.
    Sure is a big category. That's why I'd really like to find a local shop with a nice selection. A gun show is a possibility, but its easier for me to make time to swing by a local shop than it is to drive out to a show worth the admission cost at the moment. My only criteria is what ever strikes my fancy when I see it and is not insanely priced. I've been to all the manufacturers sites and I don't want to order online. I just want to find a store and browse in person.

Pre-covid, most of the shops I went to had decent selections of .22 rifles to rummage through. Found some cool older ones too. Since I haven't been to any shops in a good while, I figured I'd strike up conversation with other enthusiasts about which shops they've been to lately that might have a selection still. I want to find that shop that has racks of guns out on the floor to look at again.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    I know this may sound "blasphemes" to some, but have you considered BassPro Shop? They have a large selection. Sometimes pricing is OK, sometimes it is overpriced, but if you're looking for a lot in one place it's a good option.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    I know this may sound "blasphemes" to some, but have you considered BassPro Shop? They have a large selection. Sometimes pricing is OK, sometimes it is overpriced, but if you're looking for a lot in one place it's a good option.
    I didn't consider Bass Pro, as I refuse to go to Arundel Mills. I did how ever think of the Cabelas in DE. They used to have a huge selection of used guns out on the floor. Dont know if they still do though. Thats also sadly pretty far for me and is much less convenient. I basically chose to buy a new(used) rifle at the worst possible time. Gas is stupid high and my time is extremely limited. Never was any good at timing. lol

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I was at Bass Pro the other day and other than a Volquartzen that has a $1400 price tag on it there wasn't much else to pick from. That Volquartzen has been sitting there for over a year now. You would think they would mark it down just to get rid of it. It is a very nice gun. I personally have a Ruger 10/22 and the CZ457. A semi-auto and bolt action. My bases are covered. I would check out 2A gun sales in Laural. I got my CZ from them. Their prices are very reasonable also. Don't make that long drive to Cabelas. The gas and tolls will kill any kind of deal you might get there.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    What are you looking for in a bolt 22? Wood stock, chassis, or synthetic stock? Whats the use? Competition, hunting, plinking, or suppressor mount?

For factory guns, I would go with a bergara B14R, Tikka T1X or a CZ457. If you are willing to spend the money and wait for a good deal on a used one, look at the RimX or Vudoo. The 700 footprint rifles are nice since so many aftermarket systems are made for that footprint

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    Tyler Firearms sometimes has a couple of 22s. 2A sales has CZ457s and sometimes the ruger precision rimfire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom