• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    My apologizes if this has been asked before but I couldn't find it.

Last night my neighbor's dog, who is let out to wander and get into my trash, cornered a possum under my neighbor's car. We both have chicken houses so I am thankful for this dog (except when he gets into my trash--another issue). We do not live within any municipal districts.

We both live on 1/2 acre lots where from no point is greater than 100 yards from a dwelling.

It is my understanding that it would be unlawful to shoot this vermin due to the 100 yard rule--is that correct?

If true, then could we have killed the possum with an air pellet gun or bow? The dog kept the thing trapped under the car so it would have been an easy shot.

Can someone explain the 100 yard law to me please? From my understanding it just says no discharging of firearms within 100 yards of a dwelling. That obviously doesn't apply to self defense, but what about vermin attacking your livestock? What if the vermin appears rabid and I was in fear of my life?

Are other vermin fair game as well? (Raccoon, squirrel , groundhog)

Thanks in advance.

white rabbitt

Feb 27, 2013
    My apologizes if this has been asked before but I couldn't find it.

Last night my neighbor's dog, who is let out to wander and get into my trash, cornered a possum under my neighbor's car. We both have chicken houses so I am thankful for this dog (except when he gets into my trash--another issue). We do not live within any municipal districts.

We both live on 1/2 acre lots where from no point is greater than 100 yards from a dwelling.

It is my understanding that it would be unlawful to shoot this vermin due to the 100 yard rule--is that correct?

If true, then could we have killed the possum with an air pellet gun or bow? The dog kept the thing trapped under the car so it would have been an easy shot.

Can someone explain the 100 yard law to me please? From my understanding it just says no discharging of firearms within 100 yards of a dwelling. That obviously doesn't apply to self defense, but what about vermin attacking your livestock? What if the vermin appears rabid and I was in fear of my life?

Are other vermin fair game as well? (Raccoon, squirrel , groundhog)

Thanks in advance.

Yeah, you can not use a rifle for sure, maybe a shotgun. But what about using a Bow and Arrow instead ? EIther a Recurve Bow or a Crossbow would do the deed.

m4strmind

Nov 14, 2006
    I am curious about this too.

We have way to many squirrels and chipmunks in our yard that dig up plants and what not.

I've thought about taking a pellet gun to them but my neighbor is a bit of an ******* and i wouldn't want to get in trouble if he called the cops.

From what I've seen it is legal to shoot a pellet gun on a small piece of property in Carroll county but I'm not sure.

magnumpi

Jan 16, 2013
    Westminster MD
    Besides the firearm laws, I would check with DNR also, Possum, squirrel, Raccoon, all have regulated hunting seasons you could be charged with taking game out of season. There may be some exceptions if they are getting at your chickens.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I emailed the Sheriff's office to ask this question. He responded saying that he called animal control to ask them this question for me. He said animal control referred him to DNR. He also wrote saying if you fear life is in danger then certainly defend yourself.

Dead possums don't talk.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I am pretty sure that it is unlawful to discharge a firearm within 150 yards of any occupied structure without express permission of the occupants, even during hunting season. I know for certain that this regulation was posted for years in the Maryland Guide to Hunting and Trapping......likely still is.

m4strmind

Nov 14, 2006
    so if i read this right...

the sheriff has no problems with firing a pellet gun on a small amount of property at a pest..

the only problem is maybe the DNR?

so i just have to have my hunting license and wait till open season and problem solved? lol

for squirrels that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom