• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigrascal

Sep 7, 2012
    Chase
    IMAG0301.jpg

I work for the U.S.P.S. The past 3 months I have seen a disturbing amount of busted packages containing Bullets.

Every bullet in the above pic represents a package of over 1000 bullets that has broken open on our automated conveyors. These are NOT packages from the online suppliers such as Midway, Natchez, or Widener's but packages being shipped from one individual to another.

The shipper is usually trying to take advantage of the "If It Fits It Ships" program. There is nothing wrong with that, Pack em in there. BUT secure your box with a couple wraps of Packing Tape !!!!! Not just around the center but do the sides, top, and bottom.

I have not seen this many broken packages in 25 yrs total to what I have seen in the past couple months. As a shooter and a reloader it bothers me when I go out to make my checks and find bullets scattered 100 ft up a conveyor. We do our best to gather as many as we can, locate the damaged box, repack it and send it on its way but it is doubtful we find every one.

Just because you can put lbs of bullets in a box doesn't mean that box is going to hold up. Especially if it is raining or damp outside and the integrity of the cardboard is compromised a little packing tape can go a long way.....

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    What happens to all that stuff that gets broke open? I bought a Garand barrel once............ got empty box, he just let it flop around in the tube. Well nice lil hole in box where it fell out. Wonder what ever happened to it. :sad20:

The guy DID give me a full refund.

Bigrascal

Sep 7, 2012
    Chase
    Any merchandise found that the original box /invoice/paperwork cannot be identified gets sent to Claims and Inquiries at the Main Post Office in Baltimore.

900 E Fayett St.

If you contact them and can identify the item and provide proof that it belongs to you fill out some paperwork and pick it up....

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    Thanks for sharing!
    You see many trying to ship ammo to or just bullets?
    Not sure it's worth it to go to jail to ship ammo but I'm sure some people still try

Bigrascal

Sep 7, 2012
    Chase
    Very rare to see loaded ammo shipped and never in very large quantities, but I do on occasion find a loaded round.

I do Q/C on package tracking. I make sure our equipment is talking to the right servers to update Tracking Info. on the net, so I am mostly around the equipment that handles packages instead of letter mail.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I have a couple hundred ballistic tips that i had to refun a buyer. usps says was open when received which it not true. Package was not overstuffed and was double taped but when it arrived to the buyer there was one bullet in the pack. I in return am out the bullets and the money. Thanks so much usps.

I'm sorry but its bs to have to buy insurance that a company will not ruin your item and will in fact do their job right. If it is packaged improperly then they should note it when you drop it off and notify you if it breaks its your prob but drstroying things that are properly packaged and shipped posses me off.

I know you are trying to help others on the board but I have been diligent with shipping in the past and still got screwed.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Thanks for the heads up. Even packages from real suppliers come in busted sometimes, I guess due to the excessive weight in the box. Those are usually taped and beefed up pretty good, at least they were on the beginning of the trip.

What is wrong with that bullet second from the left? Looks like a chunk out of it or a huge dent in its side.

MH

MH

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I see a product liability lawsuit. Obviously "If it fits it ships", is just plain false advertising. Maybe a few pounds of lead will slip out of one of these defective and dangerous boxes and hit me in the head.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I was giddy as a school girl last night, and I am manly enough to admit it. My Berry's order came in. I was running my hands through 1000 9mm bullets, and 500 45 acp. Life is good.

CraZ4GunZ

Dec 12, 2008
    HoCo
    Man I keep forgetting about Clyde's - I'll give them a call. I usually have my sister pick some up from a buddy's shop in PA, but he's been out too.
    Thanks.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    View attachment 81676

I work for the U.S.P.S. The past 3 months I have seen a disturbing amount of busted packages containing Bullets.

Every bullet in the above pic represents a package of over 1000 bullets that has broken open on our automated conveyors. These are NOT packages from the online suppliers such as Midway, Natchez, or Widener's but packages being shipped from one individual to another.

The shipper is usually trying to take advantage of the "If It Fits It Ships" program. There is nothing wrong with that, Pack em in there. BUT secure your box with a couple wraps of Packing Tape !!!!! Not just around the center but do the sides, top, and bottom.

I have not seen this many broken packages in 25 yrs total to what I have seen in the past couple months. As a shooter and a reloader it bothers me when I go out to make my checks and find bullets scattered 100 ft up a conveyor. We do our best to gather as many as we can, locate the damaged box, repack it and send it on its way but it is doubtful we find every one.

Just because you can put lbs of bullets in a box doesn't mean that box is going to hold up. Especially if it is raining or damp outside and the integrity of the cardboard is compromised a little packing tape can go a long way.....

If USPS employees cared about their customers packages and stopped playing Baseball and Football with them they would hold up too. Don't even get me started on this subject.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom