• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sam Salvati

blacksmith
    Apr 22, 2013
    Finksburg
    Prepare yourself beforehand. 120 grit then right to a strop on a 400 wore out 800 grit rubbed with green rouge, tape it down over a mousepad.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    We had one of the very first versions of the Sharpmaker - Dad picked it up at a gun show sometime in the early 1980s, and we used it quite a bit for a while, but eventually he went back to the traditional flat oil stones and whetstones.

I maintain that someone who has developed a good sharpening technique with the flat stones can match or beat the edge obtained from any of the angle sharpeners.

I agree that you can, esp if you are familiar with the particular blade. For the less experienced, the Sharpmaker is a good learning tool along the way.

I learned on a whetstone and I use both; sometimes one tool works better than the other ... that's why there are toolboxes and tool sheds

cb51

9301151064_fe27d7c200_c.jpg

Most tmes I just use the cut down Eze-Lap model L I keep in my wallet. With freehand technique, I get a razor edge in a few minutes. Freehand is not that hard to master if you sit down with someone who knows how to do it. I don't believe in all those gizmos they sell that just get your money out of your wallet and into their pocket.

9301173458_27598c32af_c.jpg

If I'm at home, I'll use the old boy scout stone I keep in the kitchen drawer. Back in the 50's we called it a carborundum stone, but I think it's proper name is silica oxide or aluminum oxide.

I'm more than willing to teach anyone how to sharpen in just a few minutes with basic tools that can be carried in a pocket. A coffee mug also works very well if it has the unglazed ring on the bottom. A quick strop on the back of your belt when done and your good to go.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    trial run on an old Gerber edge didnt go well. 100/320 stone. geez. any tips ?

100 grit is mighty coarse.
    I sharpen my chisels and plane blades using Norton waterstones and DMT diamond stone. THe DMT is 220 grit and it only gets used when things are really nicked up and to flatten the waterstones. the waterstones are 1000, 4000 and 8000 grit. Once I get a mirror finish with those. I uses a strop block with leather and rouge to get the edge super sharp.
    If your blade has no nicks but needs sharpening then start at 1000 then work up.
    With all that, For EDC kinves, I use a lansky kit. Works fine, lasts a long time.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I have the double sided diamond hone that stores in the handle as well for routine maintenance.

^^^This.
    The old "Buck" sharpener is GREAT!!!! (They stopped making them, though!)
    I have a couple of the "Smith" sharpeners, that are very similar.

Plus, I have a 'steel' that I use to 'chase' the edges between sharpenings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom