• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    Have a new M4 built from PSA parts.

I have the stock front sight, a Magpul flip-up rear sight, and a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot sight on a 3/4" riser.

I assume the correct way of setting the sights up is to start with the iron sights (forgetting for a moment that the Magpul sight is actually plastic), and adjust those until accuracy is good, then put the RDS on and adjust that until accuracy is good?

anil

Sep 28, 2008
    Silver Spring, MD
    If the Red Dot gets in the way of the Irons, then it is probably best to adjust the irons first. Though, it probably doesn't really matter.

Not sure if it matters even if you are trying to have co-witness (irons and red dot point to the same spot).

I've always adjusted the irons first; but, I've never gotten new irons and a red dot on the gun on the same day.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    When I put the rear Magpul sight on my M4gery, it was dead on for 50 yards out of the box. Then I put an Aimpoint on, and used the sights to set the dot. When I got to the range, I lowered the Magpul sight and the Aimpoint was dead on at 50 yards.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I went kind of bass-ackwards, I set my zero for RDS and then set the irons to co-witness with the RDS (EO-Tech 512).

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    To me, the red dot is much more accurate than irons. So I sighted it in, then I adjusted my irons to cowitness. It seems to work. I imagine it doesnt matter which one you do first. However my science background tells me to use the most precise and accurate tool I have to make a measurement, then use less accurate tools based off the first. I know most people say to use the irons until you are proficient with them and then worry about red dots and such, but if you have a red dot, it makes no sense not to use it.

**My experiences and advice are based on being a newb to the AR-15. So take it fwiw.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    For initial setup bore sighting works pretty well. Set your upper up on a steady rest and look down the bore. Adjust the sight/scope etc to match the bore then fine tuning should only take a few rounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom