• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    Technically it is correct. It HAS been debated (past tense). The debate is now over and we have Heller and McDonald.

But they of course live in denial... and it goes well beyond gun rights.

It's all about controlling YOU as a cog in a collective machine and throwing away your individuality. If you talk to some of these people you will see that they think that the Government has the ultimate authority over you and can decide life and death if they wanted. That's how they like it. You're too stupid and untrustworthy to fend for yourself, at least not in their society.

BigToe

Well Armed Vagrant
    Amendment II (1791)
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Whether this provision protects the individual's right to own firearms or whether it deals only with the collective right of the people to arm and maintain a militia has long been debated.

OK, so let's say that the anti 2A people are right. That we only have the right to bear arms if members of a militia. So when it comes time to form a militia to fight for our freedoms, is the government going to allow us arm ourselves?

How daft do you have to be not to understand the concept that the founding fathers brought fourth. That you need arms to form a militia, and not the reverse.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Amendment II (1791)
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Whether this provision protects the individual's right to own firearms or whether it deals only with the collective right of the people to arm and maintain a militia has long been debated.

OK, so let's say that the anti 2A people are right. That we only have the right to bear arms if members of a militia. So when it comes time to form a militia to fight for our freedoms, is the government going to allow us arm ourselves?

How daft do you have to be not to understand the concept that the founding fathers brought fourth. That you need arms to form a militia, and not the reverse.

The only debate is because of ignorance. People do not understand the context of 18th century legal writing. There was often a prefatory and an operative clause. The prefatory clause is irrelevant to the spirit of the law. The operative clause is what is intended. You only need to read:

The Right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

The prefatory clause discusses why the operative clause is necessary. Why? For the security of a free State? Who may threaten the Freedoms? Enemies foreign and domestic. It would be remarkable if a bunch of guys who didn't want a standing army made laws which said only the army could have arms.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    The only debate is because of ignorance. People do not understand the context of 18th century legal writing. There was often a prefatory and an operative clause. The prefatory clause is irrelevant to the spirit of the law. The operative clause is what is intended. You only need to read:

The prefatory clause discusses why the operative clause is necessary. Why? For the security of a free State? Who may threaten the Freedoms? Enemies foreign and domestic. It would be remarkable if a bunch of guys who didn't want a standing army made laws which said only the army could have arms.

I agree, however, in my non legal opinion at least, the predatory clause in the Second Amendment also allows for the formation of the civilian militia. A rather fine point, but an important one, and one I feel will be the next step in the 2A struggle.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I've always heard the debate is over the commas, that there are commas in different places in different early writings of the amendment, and that the comma position changes the meaning of the text from individuals to groups.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I agree, however, in my non legal opinion at least, the predatory clause in the Second Amendment also allows for the formation of the civilian militia. A rather fine point, but an important one, and one I feel will be the next step in the 2A struggle.

Absolutely.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    As Mr. Burns would say ...

:gun1:

Attachments

• Burns%2BExcellent.jpg
      Burns%2BExcellent.jpg
      15.7 KB · Views: 204

40-Cal-Polymer

Known Gunmen
    Jan 30, 2013

"Free State Militia" Marylands Finest Minutemen. I honest have to agree with this statement Aggie. I fear that in our present state of affairs, It'll be inevitable to secure our rights and freedoms. Not only as a state, but as a nation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom