• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DimaK

May 15, 2012
    I own a couple of C&R handguns that I had to transfer via a local gun shop due to seller preference. They are now "MSP registered." I want to sell them out of state using my C&R license. Is there a problem with me getting rid of them, while MSP still thinks I own them? Is there a way to take them out of my name when they are sold? I have a feeling the answer for those questions is "no", but does anyone have any comments about this?
    Thanks.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    as long you still have c&r license.. i dont see you having problem selling it to another c&r holder.

its still legal and make sure its on the bound book. who cares if its md registered or not.

DimaK

May 15, 2012
    I just feel funny getting rid of them and MSP thinking I still own them. I guess it would be the same a someone selling their a handgun of gunbroker and shipping it to an FFL in another state.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    No problem with selling them. If you still have your C&R, just don't make a habit of selling. After your C&R expires, you can sell as many as you want without concern.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    No problem with selling them. If you still have your C&R, just don't make a habit of selling. After your C&R expires, you can sell as many as you want without concern.

you can sell as many as you want even when you do have a C&R.

as long as you're not using it as a business.

you can sell off your whole collection if you like.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    You don't need any license to sell. The buyer needs a license to buy.

If MSP ever asks where they went, you show the the copy of the license you got from the buyer. Piece of cake.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

DimaK

May 15, 2012
    Thank you for your replies. The few that I sell are sold at some loss, so I am not worried about that part :)

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    Thank you for your replies. The few that I sell are sold at some loss, so I am not worried about that part :)

why sell at a loss?

That argument will go badly if you're audited.

not true, that is what the law says, and its confirmed.

as long as you're not obviously using the license as a business, you're fine.

there are lots of people who buy and sell many guns in a year, there is no specific line saying "you cant sell this many guns".

this has been discussed to death on many forums, its been asked of the ATF etc etc. even the ATF's own specific literature mentions selling off ones collection.

now, if you were to sell your whole collection, then buy it all up again, and do it again, then they may feel you're abusing the license. but there are tons of folks, even ones who've been audited, who have sold plenty of guns no problem.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    By that logic, buying hundreds upon hundreds of Mosins and selling off 90% in order to cherry pick the best 10% is fair game? Selling a hundred or more rifles wouldn't be considered operating as a business? ATF wouldn't see such a scheme as ripe for abuse? I want to hear from the first person who tries it and gets audited.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    By that logic, buying hundreds upon hundreds of Mosins and selling off 90% in order to cherry pick the best 10% is fair game? Selling a hundred or more rifles wouldn't be considered operating as a business? ATF wouldn't see such a scheme as ripe for abuse? I want to hear from the first person who tries it and gets audited.

again, there is no specific line, no one knows exactly where the line is.

obivously buying, and selling , that is buying for the purpose of selling, hundreds of guns will certainly raise red flags.

however, many people HAVE bought crates of rifles, picked a few, and sold the rest, and even those people have been fine.

if however you own hundreds of guns, and you decide to sell your collection, YES< selling hundreds of guns in that case is perfectly acceptable under your license.

the license is for furthering ones collection, therefore, if you buy and sell regularly for the purpose of upgrading your collection, thats perfectly acceptable, there is a line somewhere, but i guarantee you that its far and above what any average person would have to worry about.

this is not speculation, there are tons of colelctors out there who buy and sell many guns in a year, and its perfectly acceptable.

buying and selling hundreds in a short period? now thats certainly abusing the rules.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    But have you done it and were you audited? That's all I'm asking and would like to get it straight from the horse's mouth. Any of us can make unsubstantiated third-person claims/assertions.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    But have you done it and were you audited? That's all I'm asking and would like to get it straight from the horse's mouth. Any of us can make unsubstantiated third-person claims/assertions.

ive never sold a gun period myself, but thats not because of worry or anything.

auditing of C&R holders is extremely rare so theres not tons of examples to go off of, but reading forums over the years and interactions with ATF agents, the simple fact is they simply dont want anyone acting as a dealer.

the law does not limit your ability to sell guns, period.

in fact people HAVE asked the ATF about whether they can buy crates of rifles and sell most, and the basic response has been as long as its an occasional thing, IE< if you show up to a gun show every weekend with a new crate of mosins, they're probably going to shut you down.

if you receive a crate of mosins for a group of other collectors, you'll be fine, yes, even though you will be loging in 20 rifles and imemediately logging out most of them.

if you didnt notice in another thread right now, we have a group of guys doing this with 2 crates of mosins.

i personally probably wouldnt do this i personally think its pushing the line, but it seems to be within reason according to the ATF and plenty of people have done similar.

my point is not that you should go out and start buying and selling a bunch of guns.

my point is simply that there is no reason to be cautioning people not to sell guns, someone who trades in and out a dozen or so guns per year is no where near abusing the license.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    ive never sold a gun period myself, but thats not because of worry or anything.

auditing of C&R holders is extremely rare so theres not tons of examples to go off of, but reading forums over the years and interactions with ATF agents, the simple fact is they simply dont want anyone acting as a dealer.

the law does not limit your ability to sell guns, period.

in fact people HAVE asked the ATF about whether they can buy crates of rifles and sell most, and the basic response has been as long as its an occasional thing, IE< if you show up to a gun show every weekend with a new crate of mosins, they're probably going to shut you down.

if you receive a crate of mosins for a group of other collectors, you'll be fine, yes, even though you will be loging in 20 rifles and imemediately logging out most of them.

if you didnt notice in another thread right now, we have a group of guys doing this with 2 crates of mosins.

i personally probably wouldnt do this i personally think its pushing the line, but it seems to be within reason according to the ATF and plenty of people have done similar.

my point is not that you should go out and start buying and selling a bunch of guns.

my point is simply that there is no reason to be cautioning people not to sell guns, someone who trades in and out a dozen or so guns per year is no where near abusing the license.

Not really rare occurrence of getting audited. mass purchasing and selling it does put a red flag.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    Not really rare occurrence of getting audited. mass purchasing and selling it does put a red flag.

01 ffls are audited often im sure, but C&R license holder,s its quite rare.

surplusrifle forum is one of the biggest C&R groups online and there is only a small handful of folks who've been audited on there.

mass purchasing and selling may be a red flag, but it depends what you consider mass purchasing and selling, and they only have a chance to "red flag" anyone once every 3 years, when you renew, because they dont actually know what any of us buy and sell.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Remember. Some of c&r are bought through regular ffl. If ATF see that you purchase a crate of mosin for example. They will raise an eyebrow.

I'm not trying to scare anybody. It is what it is. Just use caution is all what we are trying to say.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    Remember. Some of c&r are bought through regular ffl. If ATF see that you purchase a crate of mosin for example. They will raise an eyebrow.

I'm not trying to scare anybody. It is what it is. Just use caution is all what we are trying to say.

even then its not reported to the ATF.

and buying is not an issue.

buying and selling in volume is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom