• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Foohaus

Nov 22, 2020
    We’re in the early stages of designing a home on our land near Romney. I was wondering if anybody had experience with builders in that area, or in the eastern WVA/Winchester area in general, that they would recommend.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    We’re in the early stages of designing a home on our land near Romney. I was wondering if anybody had experience with builders in that area, or in the eastern WVA/Winchester area in general, that they would recommend.

I don't know any builders but I'd be curious what you're thinking about building, costs,exc.

I'm needing to upgrade my housing as well but am finding the new housing they're putting up around here always has a catch. House will be big and nice on the inside, but it'll have no yard.
    I wanted to buy a piece of land (maybe an acre) and have a modular built but it's so hard trying to figure out how much that would cost

Foohaus

Nov 22, 2020
    I don't know any builders but I'd be curious what you're thinking about building, costs,exc.

I'm needing to upgrade my housing as well but am finding the new housing they're putting up around here always has a catch. House will be big and nice on the inside, but it'll have no yard.
    I wanted to buy a piece of land (maybe an acre) and have a modular built but it's so hard trying to figure out how much that would cost
    We’re working with an architect to do a custom, mid-century style house. It’s a “lifelong dream” kind of project that we’ve been saving for for eons, but I do not recommend that approach unless you want to burn money.

When I priced out new construction from builders a couple years ago (before the serious swell in the cost of materials), you could expect to pay something like $100-150/sq foot around that part of the state for what I’d classify as “normal” in terms of how fancy the house is.

Sadly, I’m sure it’s significantly more given the current market.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    A buddy is building a custom designed house near there. Ended up doing most of the work himself.

It's been impossible to find someone to take it on. The builders are busy popping up boxes in Winchester, or charging $300 per square foot on high end stuff.

carpoor

Dec 17, 2011
    Just priced a cabin in the same area from bryson homes was a 244 a square foot. Going to look at other options or wait for everything to settle back down hopefully.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Having been in the industry,, there are no (almost no) "Custom" builders on the east coast.
    Most builders idea of custom is a tract home where they let you choose the colors.

I could not find a framing crew that could do anything past frame a box and set trusses on it, That was 15 years ago. I framed it my self after searching for 3 months.

MVC-805F.JPG

MVC-806F.JPG

MVC-808F.JPG

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    There are plenty of them down here in LSD. The majority of them are all Hispanic crews.

People need to start watching Larry Haun videos again....

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    There are plenty of them down here in LSD. The majority of them are all Hispanic crews.

People need to start watching Larry Haun videos again....
    They can lay down the deck, frame and stand walls, and set the trusses.
    I have not found a framing crew Hispanic, White or black that can stick frame a roof with compound angles.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Having been in the industry,, there are no (almost no) "Custom" builders on the east coast.
    Most builders idea of custom is a tract home where they let you choose the colors.

I could not find a framing crew that could do anything past frame a box and set trusses on it, That was 15 years ago. I framed it my self after searching for 3 months.
    wow that's some serious framing there!!

Johnconlee

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2019
    Mechanicsville
    I have not found a framing crew Hispanic, White or black that can stick frame a roof with compound angles.
    I know 2 people capable of that type of work. The dad is 85 the son doesn’t do much framing work anymore.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    I know 2 people capable of that type of work. The dad is 85 the son doesn’t do much framing work anymore.
    Yeah,, the old school guys are retiring or long gone.
    I framed that roof with one other guy and a helper,, most valuable tool was my trig calculator and my "Roof framers bible". It was actually a very satisfying framing job,, even though it took me 3 months.

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    This is part of a house my son and his friend framed - both mid twenties.

Attachments

• 790648AD-9E6B-4D92-BAC9-FF9479293BEB.jpeg
      790648AD-9E6B-4D92-BAC9-FF9479293BEB.jpeg
      131.4 KB · Views: 102
    • 2EA7D758-DBE5-4E91-900E-11C98C6549E2.jpeg
      2EA7D758-DBE5-4E91-900E-11C98C6549E2.jpeg
      78.3 KB · Views: 105
    • EF54D8F0-7945-450B-AD16-3D250DA08C2E.jpeg
      EF54D8F0-7945-450B-AD16-3D250DA08C2E.jpeg
      84.6 KB · Views: 99
    • 5F1CB0C0-A130-4F55-B6B0-FA8C7436D64D.jpeg
      5F1CB0C0-A130-4F55-B6B0-FA8C7436D64D.jpeg
      79.6 KB · Views: 100

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    Very nice, do they frame houses for a living or extreme diy?
    They wanted to build houses for a living when they were younger but came to their senses…lol. My son is an architect and designed the house for a client and she asked them to build it so they did just for the experience.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    This is part of a house my son and his friend framed - both mid twenties.
    Nice, it is a lost art.
    I see a lot of devotion and attention to detail in those pictures.
    She was wise to get him to frame it,, same as I ended up framing my own,,,, There are no "Professional builders" that would take the time, or even have the know how to frame something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom