• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Overwatcher

MDS Supporter
    Dec 12, 2019
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    I have 2 sig MSR geen dots and a red dot. Lately I have not been seeing a double dot and a halo or starburst in both colors. I've others look thru them and they dont see it. I do wear glasses to read and tried looking thru them with glasses on but no change .Any one else have this problem ?

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    … Lately I have not been seeing a double dot and a halo or starburst in both colors. …

Not sure if I am mis-reading how you typed ^that^ or not but, I never saw “double dots” in mine … the halo or sunburst otoh, “could” be indicative of an astigmatism or other ocular issue …?

Interested in what others opine as I’d be torn which to do first: go see my eye Dr or call SIG (I’d probably go see my eye guy first - his receptionist is so hot even my wife admires her! ;-)

Last edited:

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Do you see the same effect at night when you look at the taillights of the car in front of you, or bright stars in the sky?

It could be astigmatism. What should be a round point of light can appear to be oval, dumbbell shaped, or even two separate points.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Red-Dot-Astigmatism-585x163.png

Overwatcher

MDS Supporter
    Dec 12, 2019

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    My right eye astigmatism is much like the first example but with three images. One is a little brighter than the other two. Makes using irons or red dots kinda tricky.
    I have been training myself to line up the three dots with the three images. If I focus on that, my shooting is pretty good.
    Green reflex sights seem to work better for me than red dots.
    When I really want to insure accuracy with dots or irons, I shoot left handed. At first it felt unnatural, but practice has made it almost as comfortable as shooting right handed.
    I should probably get some shooting glasses made. Can't read without the readers, either.

LuckyBoy

Jun 27, 2022
    Ellicott City, MD
    I have two Sig red dots and I find that where it sits on my pistols it gets dirty fairly fast. I’m not trying be a smart ass, but when my red dots exhibit these kinds of behaviors it’s been a signal that I’m overdue on cleaning the glass lens. If both sides of your lens are clean I’d explore other causes like the ones mentioned in this string.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    If both sides of your lens are clean I’d explore other causes like the ones mentioned in this string.
    :thumbsup:

That's why I asked the question about taillights and stars. If he doesn't see the same effect with other points of light it is probably something with the optic. If he does, unfortunately it's most likely his vision.

Overwatcher

MDS Supporter
    Dec 12, 2019
    Do you see the same effect at night when you look at the taillights of the car in front of you, or bright stars in the sky?

It could be astigmatism. What should be a round point of light can appear to be oval, dumbbell shaped, or even two separate points.
    I do see it at night on taillights, and its really bad in the rain.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    I used to use orange squares for sighting spots on targets. I use Leupold scopes. The squares would look blurry or a double image. I don't have the same issue with black and can see bullet holes just fine. I think maybe the color spectrum and my eyes.
    I haven't shot clay birds in many years but was a better than average shot back then. In the past couple years I've tried shooting clay targets with very poor results. Part of the problem was my progressive lens glasses not focused where I need to see when in shooting stance. Trying regular shooting glasses, I see 2 targets and two beads. They eventually come together as my eyes come to focus together but it's too slow and the target is out of range.
    They say your eyes are the second thing to go when you get old.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I have 2 sig MSR geen dots and a red dot. Lately I have not been seeing a double dot and a halo or starburst in both colors. I've others look thru them and they dont see it. I do wear glasses to read and tried looking thru them with glasses on but no change .Any one else have this problem ?
    How old are you?

Cataracts can do strange things . . .

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    I used to use orange squares for sighting spots on targets. I use Leupold scopes. The squares would look blurry or a double image. I don't have the same issue with black and can see bullet holes just fine. I think maybe the color spectrum and my eyes.
    I haven't shot clay birds in many years but was a better than average shot back then. In the past couple years I've tried shooting clay targets with very poor results. Part of the problem was my progressive lens glasses not focused where I need to see when in shooting stance. Trying regular shooting glasses, I see 2 targets and two beads. They eventually come together as my eyes come to focus together but it's too slow and the target is out of range.
    They say your eyes are the second thing to go when you get old.
    Instead of special lens I just use a pair of readers

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom