• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slumy__57

May 18, 2018
    Hampstead MD
    +1 on the no. I would imagine that would just lead to unneeded tension, and potential discrimination during traffic stops. I imagine there are a few officers out there that would bump a warning to a ticket for someone with a carry license.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    What is everyone's thoughts on linking driver's licenses to carry permits?
    For what purpose? Driving a car and carrying a firearm may occur together but are also mutually severable. I would only agree if there was national reciprocity and the DL served a dual purpose.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I read the first page. OP, I think you would be better served by picking a single 2A topic and trying to change that one topic. For instance, the ghost gun ban is something that is fresh and it was just passed last year. Maybe work on getting that one reversed. There is a federal case out there stating that a law criminalizing the possession of a firearm without a serial number is unconstitutional. Maybe use that argument.

With your OP, you are not merely trying to take a bite out of the apple, you are trying to swallow a bushel of apples without even chewing. A bushel in one gulp.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In the USCCA website ......

Of such 3rd party websites , the best is Handgunlaw ( dot) us. . Gary will frequently quote statutes , and always includes links to all firearm or self defense statutes .

USCCA will simplify and paraphrase .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Back at the DL discussion . It periodically comes up here , in the reverse .

Ie , Convicted Felons and other Prohibited Persons should have their DL/ non driver ID so marked . But that would never fly .

cyberalex

MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2022
    Federalsburg, Maryland
    For what purpose? Driving a car and carrying a firearm may occur together but are also mutually severable. I would only agree if there was national reciprocity and the DL served a dual purpose.
    I only heard of it from the USCCA website, but I haven't visited it in a while, so I don't know much about the practicality of it, but to my knowledge, it allows law enforcement to screen drivers for the potential of them carrying a firearm before law enforcement approaches drivers during encounters. I may have missed something, but I just wanted advice from everyone here on what it really means for people like me.

cyberalex

MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2022
    Federalsburg, Maryland
    I read the first page. OP, I think you would be better served by picking a single 2A topic and trying to change that one topic. For instance, the ghost gun ban is something that is fresh and it was just passed last year. Maybe work on getting that one reversed. There is a federal case out there stating that a law criminalizing the possession of a firearm without a serial number is unconstitutional. Maybe use that argument.

With your OP, you are not merely trying to take a bite out of the apple, you are trying to swallow a bushel of apples without even chewing. A bushel in one gulp.
    I was thinking to do that, as if I were to not get the votes on one huge bill, then none of my goals will be achieved, but if I do one bill on let's say repealing the ban on magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. I get the votes for that bill, but not for another bill on let's say the "ghost gun" ban. This way, we can slowly have our rights restored, not expanded as we always had the right to keep and bear arms, including ones that weren't mandated to have a serial number. I don't know about everyone here, but I couldn't find a law on serial numbers until at least sometime in the 1900s. I know because the first federal firearm law to my knowledge was the National Firearms Act, which was enacted in 1934. I don't know about states or localities requiring a serial number. Also, what about territories that did not yet become states? Did SCOTUS consider those laws relevant or no?

I forgot, but I do remember analyzing the Bruen decision, and Justice Thomas talked about that specific subject. What I understand about the judiciary is that since the federal case you mentioned came from a U.S. District Court Judge in West Virginia, it is not binding precedent because the case does not affect the 4th Circuit as a whole, including the states of Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina. Was the case appealed, and if so, where is it now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom