• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    This is incorrect. The 7-day rule is in effect due to the requirement to MAIL applications to the MSP and for the MSP to MAIL back the Not Disapproval. (Note the assumption that 7 days was enough for mail to and from Pikesville.)

This rule should be abolished as the transmission is now electronic. Twelve hours to complete the NICS/MD database check to Not Disapproved. (Yes, this should be electronic and instantaneous.)

No . The actual Legislative Intent in 1966 was explicitly and specifically to create a * Cooling Off Period * . It's in the Bill File , and in all the contemporary news coverage .

Maki

Jun 11, 2020
    Odenton
    I didn't read through all 6 pages, but just in case it wasn't mentioned, you shouldn't use "Ghost Gun" as that's just a hot word they use to evoke negative reactions. I'd use the term "Privately Manufactured Firearm (PMF)" as it has less negative connotations as the prior.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I agree with you. Also, I just thought about this, but what if we could have it where, for handguns, not only we fill out and submit the 4473 and the 77R forms, but we could also have the FFL contact the references from when we applied for the Wear & Carry Permit. We just bring our references list along with us, and the references can be contacted, completing the background investigation while we wait on the background check. It makes no sense to me, in my case, to take the carry course and pass it, wait 90 days for my background investigation to be done, get the approval, and then apply for the HQL. Next, go to an FFL to pick out a handgun, pass the background check, and wait 7 days. And then, come back to pick up the handgun. Insane world produces insane people. It does not take 90 days, 60 days, 45 days, 30 days, or even 15 days to call 3 people and ask them whether or not someone is crazy, was ever a troublemaker, or got into a fight with his/her S.O. or any other person. I don't know about everyone else's opinions, but logic dictates to me that it should only take up to a week, maybe 2 to give MSP the benefit of the doubt. I don't know, but 90 days is crazy, plus 2023 is coming, and less and less paper is being used. I don't absolutely like it the way it is, but it's the way things are for the moment.
    Let's make it easier, lobby to make the MD Carry permit an ATF approved background document, in which case, 4473, 77R, no background check by either FEDs or State.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Let's make it easier, lobby to make the MD Carry permit an ATF approved background document, in which case, 4473, 77R, no background check by either FEDs or State.
    But then there'd be no inconvenience or expense in transfers, and that would upset MGA's sensibilities.

cyberalex

MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2022
    Federalsburg, Maryland
    I didn't read through all 6 pages, but just in case it wasn't mentioned, you shouldn't use "Ghost Gun" as that's just a hot word they use to evoke negative reactions. I'd use the term "Privately Manufactured Firearm (PMF)" as it has less negative connotations as the prior.
    I agree with you.

cyberalex

MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2022
    Federalsburg, Maryland
    Update
    My legislation was tabled to April for the Annual Session of the Maryland Student Legislature, which I view to be a positive as I can improve my legislation and have more research backing me up.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Thank you for that suggestion. I love it when people like you and others offer such amazing ideas! :)
    No problem at all, nice job by the way. Good luck on what was submitted and don't forget to ask for help if/when the bills make it to Annapolis.

cyberalex

MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2022
    Federalsburg, Maryland
    can you show us what you have submitted?
    I'm trying to convert the word documents to pdf so that I can share my work with everyone.

Update
    Here are my documents. For simplicity, just convert them to word and download them, then highlight anything that needs to be revised or deleted, or added. Use a key to identify what is happening, depending on the color of the highlight (i.e., yellow for revise, orange for delete, and light blue for add). Be sure to explicitly state what the original text needs to be changed to within the highlighted portion, and if you are adding something, please make it known so that I can see it.

Attachments

• Safer Streets Act of 2023.pdf
      762.1 KB · Views: 56
    • Right to Keep and Bear Arms Act v3.pdf
      181.2 KB · Views: 49
    Last edited:

Kilroy3006

Jun 10, 2015
    While I admire the youthful enthusiasm, it is politically naive to think the Maryland General Assembly would seriously consider, much less pass such legislation. Even if in a pot fueled stupor it should be passed in the MGA, Moore would never sign it.

cyberalex

MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2022
    Federalsburg, Maryland
    While I admire the youthful enthusiasm, it is politically naive to think the Maryland General Assembly would seriously consider, much less pass such legislation. Even if in a pot fueled stupor it should be passed in the MGA, Moore would never sign it.
    That's not my point on drafting the legislation. I'm making it clear to the Democrats that we will not go away, and we will keep putting pressure on the MGA to restore our rights, no matter how long it takes.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    So far, I'm thinking government buildings, bars and restaurants that serve alcohol, and commercial aircraft, not aircraft owned by carry permit holders, are "sensitive places" What else?
    You're regulating means not a desired result. If you don't want people to carry drunk than prohibit people from carrying while drunk. Just because I go into a restaurant that serves alcohol while armed doesn't mean I will get drunk. Perhaps I just want dinner.

cyberalex

MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2022
    Federalsburg, Maryland
    You're regulating means not a desired result. If you don't want people to carry drunk than prohibit people from carrying while drunk. Just because I go into a restaurant that serves alcohol while armed doesn't mean I will get drunk. Perhaps I just want dinner.
    I realized later on that Maryland currently has laws in place that prohibit people from carrying while under the influence of alcohol or drugs, and that you can carry in restaurants and bars. I got that information from the USCCA website. I removed the language from the bill because there's no point in solving something that isn't a problem. You do have a great point, and I realize that I have to be careful when drafting any kind of legislation. Sadly, I predict that the Democrats in the MGA might wanna prohibit carrying a firearm in all places that serve alcohol, not just bars, and the chances of a bill that would do that becoming law is highly likely.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I realized later on that Maryland currently has laws in place that prohibit people from carrying while under the influence of alcohol or drugs, and that you can carry in restaurants and bars. I got that information from the USCCA website.
    You could have gotten that info from here, complete with a cite and a link to the actual verbiage in State Statute.
    Do not be afraid to use us (MDS) as a research resource to provide links and cites for answers to questions and solutions to problems. While we might discuss (sometimes harshly) amongst ourselves what/how things should be done, I have yet to ever se this community not pitch in and help when asked.

I removed the language from the bill because there's no point in solving something that isn't a problem. You do have a great point, and I realize that I have to be careful when drafting any kind of legislation. Sadly, I predict that the Democrats in the MGA might wanna prohibit carrying a firearm in all places that serve alcohol, not just bars, and the chances of a bill that would do that becoming law is highly likely.
    Sadly, You are correct on the last part, let's hope the TRO and the Injunctions issued against NYs "all places" laws, will make the MGA pause a moment before they try.

cyberalex

MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2022
    Federalsburg, Maryland
    You could have gotten that info from here, complete with a cite and a link to the actual verbiage in State Statute.
    Do not be afraid to use us (MDS) as a research resource to provide links and cites for answers to questions and solutions to problems. While we might discuss (sometimes harshly) amongst ourselves what/how things should be done, I have yet to ever se this community not pitch in and help when asked.

Sadly, You are correct on the last part, let's hope the TRO and the Injunctions issued against NYs "all places" laws, will make the MGA pause a moment before they try.
    In the USCCA website, it says that for places that serve alcohol, "...there is no statute making it illegal to concealed carry with a Maryland WCHP, unless posted and provided you are not under the influence." (USCCA, 2022, Carry Locations). Thank you for your advice. :)
    Screenshot (779).png

USCCA. (2022, July 5). Maryland concealed carry laws: WCHP & reciprocity map. https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/md-gun-laws/#recRestricted

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom