• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    I found this one on my own-no help from mawkie :D
    I paid $100 more for this one ($377 to my door) than my first, but believe it was still a solid deal. Unlike my first Swede, this rifle is all matching and in overall nicer condition.

Things to like:
    -All matching (except the cleaning rod-I understand this doesn't count against it as most cleaning rods won't match).

-1923 is a very hard to find year.

-It is Finnish property stamped.

-Muzzle is unthreaded.

-Per the disc, it seems to be in almost perfect condition.

This is about the extent of my knowledge on the Swede Mausers. I did notice the old trajectory plate has been removed at some point (you can see the four holes next to the stock disc).

With my recent studying up on the M96's, the only things wrong with this rifle appear to be the handguard displays minimal warpage (not tight to stock along the entire length) and the hashmarks cut into the underside of the stock. I would tend to think those were added stateside-maybe Bambi kills?

In the end, I'm still very happy with my newest addition to the Finn collection. Add this to the Finned Carcanos and Arisaka and I've got the main non-Finnish rifles used by the Finns.

Thanks for looking and comments welcome ;)

Attachments

• DSC04924.jpg
      DSC04924.jpg
      149.1 KB · Views: 352
    • DSC04926.jpg
      DSC04926.jpg
      121.4 KB · Views: 420
    • DSC04929.jpg
      DSC04929.jpg
      78.2 KB · Views: 326
    • DSC04930.jpg
      DSC04930.jpg
      84.5 KB · Views: 371
    • DSC04942.jpg
      DSC04942.jpg
      67.2 KB · Views: 351

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    That's a very nice Swede. Is the cleaning rod numbered at all? I know the earlier ones weren't; I think the later ones were (too lazy to look it up).

It sounds like you got a good deal, especially with the Finnish provenance. Could the hash marks have been filed by a Finn?

Could it be the very rifle used by Simo Häyhä during that fifteen minute period when the armorer was giving his M28/30 a good cleaning?

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Nice rifle, could those grooves been added to aid in gripping the stock?

While a good suggestion, I highly doubt it as the cuts are at the muzzle end of the stock. WAY out of reach for a normal hold.

That's a very nice Swede. Is the cleaning rod numbered at all? I know the earlier ones weren't; I think the later ones were (too lazy to look it up).

It sounds like you got a good deal, especially with the Finnish provenance. Could the hash marks have been filed by a Finn?

Could it be the very rifle used by Simo Häyhä during that fifteen minute period when the armorer was giving his M28/30 a good cleaning?

Both of my Swedes have numbered, but mis-matched cleaning rods. My understanding is all were removed to do the import stamping on the barrel and no attention was made as to which rod went back with which rifle.
    This is why the Swede Mauser guys always forgive the mis-matched cleaning rod.

The hash marks could have been filed by a Finn, but the collectors I talk to seem to think any soldier that defaced his rifle in that manner would face disciplinary action and/or have to pay to repair it. This meaning the hash marks were most likely added post import.
    The >ONLY< thing that sits in the back of my mind is this rifle is still slathered in cosmo, including the barrel (I thought it was dark and pitted so I ran a patch and came out yellow with cosmo). This being the case, I have to doubt someone was marking off deer or such to keep track. Also, since this was purchased with no mention of either the hash marks or Finn provenance - I start wondering...
    I do own some Finns with similar hash marks, so it's not unprecedented. At least they'll be good for conversation :D

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I wonder what those 6 notches are..

While a good suggestion, I highly doubt it as the cuts are at the muzzle end of the stock. WAY out of reach for a normal hold.

Both of my Swedes have numbered, but mis-matched cleaning rods. My understanding is all were removed to do the import stamping on the barrel and no attention was made as to which rod went back with which rifle.
    This is why the Swede Mauser guys always forgive the mis-matched cleaning rod.

The hash marks could have been filed by a Finn, but the collectors I talk to seem to think any soldier that defaced his rifle in that manner would face disciplinary action and/or have to pay to repair it. This meaning the hash marks were most likely added post import.
    The >ONLY< thing that sits in the back of my mind is this rifle is still slathered in cosmo, including the barrel (I thought it was dark and pitted so I ran a patch and came out yellow with cosmo). This being the case, I have to doubt someone was marking off deer or such to keep track. Also, since this was purchased with no mention of either the hash marks or Finn provenance - I start wondering...
    I do own some Finns with similar hash marks, so it's not unprecedented. At least they'll be good for conversation :D

Immediately saw the hash marks were behind the front band, not the rear, as the width of the stock would be wider. What they're for, don't know.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    beautiful rifle!

looks like it used to have a shooting club plaque in it.

I'm told the four pin holes are where a trajectory plate used to be. Some were brass or steel and some were stickers. I don't know much about them, but I saw some posts on Gunboards in reference to similar holes behind the disc.

Demoneyes86

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2011
    Baltimore
    Is it possible the has marks were for confirmed kills? Smaller for no names and larger for officer? Figured that a possibility i don't know lol. Very nice rifle.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Nice find! I sensed that the one I found for you was going to be a "place setter" until a nicer example could be found. Occasionally the range plates are found up on Evil Pay and I even got some repops of the stickers from a fellow based back home in SW PA. He's now offering the same decal mounted on a aluminum plate.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Nice looking Swede h2u, I need to find an SA marked M96, I'm starting to regret giving that heads up to Mawkie when he got his :D

I've been looking at damned near every reasonably priced M96 for Finn marks, it's making my eyes hurt. I've also been doing the same for Arisaka Type 38s (if I find one of those I won't share it with you!). :)

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Thanks for the kind words, guys.
    I definitely dig the M96's, but I'm done with them for now (unless I find one CHEAP). I have a couple of examples of each of the Finn-used foreign rifles and need to get back to mining the auction sites for the true Finns.

I too am keeping an eye out for a CG marked T38, mawkie. Should I find two-I'll let ya know ASAP! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom