• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Should be picking up my new Savage rifle soon.

It's a Savage 11 FCNS in .308 It has the Accu-stock and trigger.

Looking for a complete scope package for this rifle including a base and rings.

The rifle is going to be used for hunting and also target shooting. I was thinking a 10 or 12X scope. Does this seem like enough magnification for hunting between 50-200 yards? My issue is there are literally hundreds of scope options.

I'm looking to spend less then 300 for the scope and hopefully not much more on the mount/rings.

What are some good scope is this range?

I hate to say it, I bought a Cabelas package gun with the Piney Ridge 4 to 12 zoom scope. Love the gun and the scope has held up to a .308 pounding so far and has really clear optics. A good scope for the money. If you are building a long range gun then go up to the Leopolds etc.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I really have grown fond of the vortex diamondback scopes. If you hunt in thicker areas a 2-7x is more then enough. I have a fixed 4x on a 308 carbine and i have no problem shooting at 200yds even with the low power.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    With a ceiling of $300 you don't leave much room. For the money you are looking to spend this is what I would personally buy. Your total will be a little a little lower than the $300 you quote, but this is the least I would personally go on scope quality.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/38...e-10-through-16-round-rear-short-action-gloss

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/529983/leupold-1-standard-rings-gloss-medium?cm_vc=S015ID389169

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/658473/nikon-prostaff-rifle-scope-3-9x-40mm-nikoplex-reticle-matte

Your total puts it at about $230 shipped.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    Just got the extra pennies together to finally get this packaged together.

Ordered a VXII 3-9x40 Leupold and EGW base.

Chad stated in a PM it's probably best to match up rings when it gets mounted/bore sighted and I wasnt sure if Med or High rings were needed so I decided to wait to get the rings.

I decided I had a lot of "unfinished" guns in the safe that I needed to get sorted before buying any other guns....so hopefully this gets me back on track.

I should have read the whole thread before showing you what I'd buy in your price range, but I left my post up for others who may be looking for a budget hunting rig. The nikon prostaff is the absolute cheapest I'd go on any scope anymore.

centerpoint is a cheap priced scope but is decent in my opinion...around $70 lighted red green crosshairs

I have a heavy barreled savage 12BVSS in .223 that wears a tacticool center-point 4-16. It was a scope I pulled off a rifle I once bought. Sold the rifle, kept the scope and in a bit of haste one day needed something for my .223. The center-point has been on that rifle for a few years now and it hasn't given me a reason to take it off yet. On a harder recoiling (than a .223 heavy barrel) sporter weight .308 though, I'm not sure I'd put too much faith in it. But I will say, I'm very impressed with it on my .223 plinker.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Just an update here.

Got a Leupold VXII and the EWG mount. I didnt order any rings not knowing if I needed low or meduim.

Took it to get bore sighted and the guy used some relatively cheap rings I believe they were Weaver rings.

The rifle wouldnt group at all at 50 yards let alone 100 yards.

I was using PPU 168 grain ammo so now I'm deciding if it's a mounting issue or a ammo issue. It was on paper at both distances but the group was really bad. I'm not an ace shot by any means but at 50 yards I expeted MUCH better groupings.

I might get a GOOD set or rings and have someone else mount it.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    What do you mean "horrible". How tight of a group at 50 yards? I would doubt you would get horrible groupings 3" at 50 yards even shooting really bad ammo. I would check the scope mount first, is it loose by chance?? First time every shooting the gun?

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I would say the 3 shot groups were atleast 2 inches away at 50 yards and worst at 100. I did not measure or keep the targets. I stop firing the rifle as the groupings were so bad I didnt want to waste any more ammo.

The scope does not "wiggle" and seems tight to the mount.

First time shooting the rifle since it's the first time it's had a scope mounted. It was cleaned before taking it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom