• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dec 31, 2022
    hey everybody i need a scope for a new savage b22, i some advice, help... ive not bought a scope in 50 years. i do need 1 that is clear , brite, not for hunting, just shooting maybe even long range shootin, now i dont want to pay over $200.00 and i know that dont go far, but 1 of you out there can give me some leeds, and i started looking at some Monstrum scopes, just to start thanks everybody 00

St-Mtx.

May 28, 2021
    I've been looking at Athlon Optics they make a 3-12x40 for around 180-160 with deals.

If you're looking for bright glass steer away from any of the older scopes the glass quality and tech wasn't there back in the day and the sellers online will price gouge you bc the scopes made in the 80's and 90's are now vintage and thus as expensive as budget entry scopes (I have no idea why).

Vortex is good, basically don't buy anything without any reviews. In the 200 and less budget range there's a lot of crap like NcStar, UTG, and other Chineseium.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    hey everybody i need a scope for a new savage b22, i some advice, help... ive not bought a scope in 50 years. i do need 1 that is clear , brite, not for hunting, just shooting maybe even long range shootin, now i dont want to pay over $200.00 and i know that dont go far, but 1 of you out there can give me some leeds, and i started looking at some Monstrum scopes, just to start thanks everybody 00
    Call the Buffalo police department, there’s a sniper (maybe soon to be former sniper) there that might sell you his duty rifle scope cheap.....

Dec 31, 2022
    I've been looking at Athlon Optics they make a 3-12x40 for around 180-160 with deals.

If you're looking for bright glass steer away from any of the older scopes the glass quality and tech wasn't there back in the day and the sellers online will price gouge you bc the scopes made in the 80's and 90's are now vintage and thus as expensive as budget entry scopes (I have no idea why).

Vortex is good, basically don't buy anything without any reviews. In the 200 and less budget range there's a lot of crap like NcStar, UTG, and other Chineseium.
    ok thanks

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie

I have a 25-06 that my Dad built, probably in the mid 1960s before I was even born, and the scope sitting on that rifle is a Redfield 3-9x40 with a fine wire crosshair reticle.

I had bought an 18" AR that I wanted to put a scope on, and I spent $200 on a Cabela's brand AR scope for $199 - it comes with a 1-piece picatinny rail mount. (Actually less than $199 with my military discount.)

I decided to A/B the Cabela's scope with that old Redfield, and I was blown away by how much better the glass was on the Cabela's scope. That Redfield was I'm sure the cat's pajamas back in 1968, but that illustrates the point you made about the tech and glass quality for those scopes from yesteryear.

I sold that scope to a member here - I hope they enjoy it as much as I did. Granted, the BDC on that scope is specifically for either 223 or 308, but I don't see why it couldn't be used in a practical way for something else. It even has parallax adjustment/side focus and an illuminated reticle - not too many scopes in the $200 range boast that.

The problem with Cabela's scopes is that they have a limited warranty window - I think it's only 2 years. Vortex's warranty program is considerably better than that, but you'd have to spend a fair amount more to get a scope with the features of that Cabela's scope.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Vortex all the way. Look at the Crossfire line from Vortex.
    Another brand to consider would be Athlon - they also have a lifetime warranty, and generally speaking they seem to offer either the same or more than Vortex for slightly less money.

Comparatively, the Athlon Talos series, at least from a quality and glass perspective is the same as the Vortex Crossfire series, only with the Athlon, it's a bit less expensive, but you get parallax adjustment, which the Crossfire II does not have. The Crossfire has an illuminated reticle, but do you know how many times I've actually used the illuminated reticle on any of my scopes? Zero. None.

The downside with Athlon is that it's a bit tougher to take advantage of their warranty. With Vortex, I've heard it's as easy as taking the scope to a Vortex dealer/vendor and it's a straight exchange across the counter. With Athlon, you have to send it back on your own dime and wait for it to be returned.

I have an Athlon Talos 1-4x24 LPVO on an AR, and it's a solid scope for what it is and what it cost. However, I did have an issue with the first one I had, so I had to send it back. Athlon made good on it and replaced it for free.

I recommend going with Athlon.

Last edited:

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    These little guys are fairly decent. Maybe not for precision target shooting at 200 yards but it did plenty good for me at 100 yards on a 10/22.

Attachments

• EEFA907F-F2A9-4436-9A12-93B1E330D0CE.jpeg
      EEFA907F-F2A9-4436-9A12-93B1E330D0CE.jpeg
      246.1 KB · Views: 31

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads