• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I thought there was considerable variation in .22 sub velocity ... and varying with barrel length. Why not just learn the drop of your ammo and barrel? (Take it to a range where you can move the target in increments and measure the drop at each.)

Edit: Perfect if your ammo chrono's at 1057

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I thought there was considerable variation in .22 sub velocity ... and varying with barrel length. Why not just learn the drop of your ammo and barrel? (Take it to a range where you can move the target in increments and measure the drop at each.)

There is, but I have 5000 or so of the same ammo. I figured 1. I needed a new scope because I had a really cheap Walmart special and 2. $150 wasn't a whole lot of money to dump into it. The gun is basically dedicated to subsonics. It will be nice if I can use the reticle to gauge shots, and let other people shoot it without much of a learning curve.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Sound reasoning and it looks like a pretty good option for your needs. I use a bdc style scope and just learn where I have to dial to for different yards, extrapolate it on a graph and it's pretty accurate.. obviously I have to dial it past 100yds for a 100yd shot and it does depend on the ammo being used as there is a wide variety of subsonic ammo, much of it around 1050, which would work well with this scope. Like the lighted reticle too!

I shoot mostly the really quiet stuff (CCI Quiets) that are about 700fps... a lot of drop, but they are very accurate for me.

I am just finishing up my two rimfire suppressors, so I will play around with some faster subsonics, but I'm pretty sure I will settle back to Quiets after more testing... lol One of them is going on an FV-SR, the other on an MP-1522.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Sound reasoning and it looks like a pretty good option for your needs. I use a bdc style scope and just learn where I have to dial to for different yards, extrapolate it on a graph and it's pretty accurate.. obviously I have to dial it past 100yds for a 100yd shot and it does depend on the ammo being used as there is a wide variety of subsonic ammo, much of it around 1050, which would work well with this scope. Like the lighted reticle too!

I shoot mostly the really quiet stuff (CCI Quiets) that are about 700fps... a lot of drop, but they are very accurate for me.

I am just finishing up my two rimfire suppressors, so I will play around with some faster subsonics, but I'm pretty sure I will settle back to Quiets after more testing... lol One of them is going on an FV-SR, the other on an MP-1522.

The FV-SR was a great investment for me. So much fun and really opens up where I can shoot. I shoot the Quiets sometimes, but find they work really well in my 22/45 suppressed. I use Remington subsonics and Aquilla subs in the FV-SR. It was sighted in at 50 yards, and does great.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I would think any rifle scope with a BDC reticle could be used. I like that one there because it has many marks to list on your cheat sheet. Like most BDC scopes, you'll no doubt have to learn and mark your own drops, and not go by quoted drops of a manufacturer.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I would think any rifle scope with a BDC reticle could be used. I like that one there because it has many marks to list on your cheat sheet. Like most BDC scopes, you'll no doubt have to learn and mark your own drops, and not go by quoted drops of a manufacturer.

Yep, but once I get it no groundhog will be safe. .22 subs may also be the "go-to" round for people courting my daughter. It should be pretty close.....

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    The FV-SR was a great investment for me. So much fun and really opens up where I can shoot. I shoot the Quiets sometimes, but find they work really well in my 22/45 suppressed. I use Remington subsonics and Aquilla subs in the FV-SR. It was sighted in at 50 yards, and does great.
    I love mine too... I have another MkII with a 20" bbl, that shoots really well, but I didn't want to thread the bbl (and add another 6" of can to it), so I picked up the FV-SR for a host.

Not sure what I'll run through the M&P, that will likely have to be something with more pop than the Quiets to cycle. I know it won't cycle them without a can, haven't tried it with yet, but soon..

I am fairly certain the FV-SR will become my go-to hunting 22 tho, from groundhogs to squirrels, they just won't be safe anymore... lol

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Having a BDC and a cheat sheet seems overly complicated to me.

Why not have a scope with good turrets and a drop table for each ammo?

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Having a BDC and a cheat sheet seems overly complicated to me.

Why not have a scope with good turrets and a drop table for each ammo?
    That's sort of what I do and it works well. I have a std crosshair reticle, but target turrets and I just dial it up for longer ranges beyond the 50yd sight in. A simple list, printed and taped to the stock will help recall the range settings for different ammo.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    That's sort of what I do and it works well. I have a std crosshair reticle, but target turrets and I just dial it up for longer ranges beyond the 50yd sight in. A simple list, printed and taped to the stock will help recall the range settings for different ammo.

A cheat sheet. Some guns I tape them to my stock. Others I put inside the flip up scope caps. It's just a matter of preferences. For long range shooters I guess it's easier to dial up your scope. I'm not a long range shooter. I'm a hunter. It's quicker for me to range my target, then find my zero on my BDC reticle without having to do a bunch of dialing.:)

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    [/B]

A cheat sheet. Some guns I tape them to my stock. Others I put inside the flip up scope caps. It's just a matter of preferences. For long range shooters I guess it's easier to dial up your scope. I'm not a long range shooter. I'm a hunter. It's quicker for me to range my target, then find my zero on my BDC reticle without having to do a bunch of dialing.:)
    I have scopes of both types, it depends on the use/s for each and most of the time, if I need to take a quick shot, I just use the old school holdover.... :lol2: :innocent0

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Honestly, for strictly a 22 rifle, I rarely will be taking shots past 100yds... perhaps 150 on a groundhog in some of the areas we shoot them where we have to use 22's and that would be with supersonic hunting ammo, not subs, so the drop isn't quite as critical.

Sighted at 50yds with a particular hunting ammo, I just need to know the drop at longer distances and to remember to hold under on a close-up shot. With subs, the distance estimation is more critical on longer shots and much of the time I just estimate it rather than taking the time to actually range it (unless the target gives me that opportunity).

The one thing about ranging reticles, is if the ammo you are shooting is a different velocity than what it was designed for, you have some odd yardages at the different marks which causes you to sometimes pause and think about it .. In practice, it really doesn't take me any longer to dial up the elevation knob and level the crosshairs than it does to remember which mark to use on the reticle and zero that on the target.

Sounds like Doc will be using ammo that is close to the 1050 or so and therefore it should work well for his needs. :thumbsup:

Ranging is much more critical with subs versus supers. My FV-SR drops about 3.5" from 25 to 50yds with Quiets.. that is significant on a small target! I would imagine the ranges would not be very close with that scope shooting ammo at 700fps and stretching out the shots to longer distances.. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom