• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Anyone have a setup with a red dot and scope mounted on top? I am fimilar with the red dot on a 45° mount on the right side and tilting the rifle to use it and scope on top. I have a Vortex Viper red dot and was wondering if anyone mounted one of these low ones with shoot through scope mounts on top of an AR.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Anyone have a setup with a red dot and scope mounted on top? I am fimilar with the red dot on a 45° mount on the right side and tilting the rifle to use it and scope on top. I have a Vortex Viper red dot and was wondering if anyone mounted one of these low ones with shoot through scope mounts on top of an AR.
    Most people either angle them,a s you mentioned, or they put them on top of the scope(special scope ring with a picatinny rail. When you put the dot on top of the scope, you will want to get used to a 'chin weld' as opposed to a cheek weld, when moving to the red dot.

Thusly...

cdz7000ou68a1.jpg

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Top mount, for me, felt awkward. It was faster to angle the rifle than it was to tilt my head up for the red dot. Practice with either until it was automatic fixes that,

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    NO I wanted a red dot for up close and moving action if I have SHTF situation or coyote and fox hunting. We have had it before where they run by trying to check you out and you can't find them in the scope at 40 -50 yards moving. Or I could shoot 200 yards with the scope.

I wanted a long distance and up close sighting system. Just like shoot through iron sites on a scope.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    NO I wanted a red dot for up close and moving action if I have SHTF situation or coyote and fox hunting. We have had it before where they run by trying to check you out and you can't find them in the scope at 40 -50 yards moving. Or I could shoot 200 yards with the scope.

I wanted a long distance and up close sighting system. Just like shoot through iron sites on a scope.
    That makes perfect sense.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Have you ever tried to shoot anything moving, close, with a scope? I can do it with a red dot dot and iron sights. Plus I can't get peripheral awareness that I am not swinging toward the cows or sheep on a farm. It's a big no no, to drill a cow, sheep or goat when missing a fox or yote. Farmers get touchy about things like that.

Using what I have. I got three scopes to try and a red dot now.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    It depends on the scope.
    If it usable to be set to fairly low power (4X max for me) & has a "BOLD" reticule( or a red dot center)?
    If so Yes. Just open both eyes & Use the "Bindon Aiming Concept"
    (Remember, detractors we're close up here).
    Just look through the scope with both eyes open. The brain will superimpose the two images into one.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It depends on the scope.
    If it usable to be set to fairly low power (4X max for me) & has a "BOLD" reticule( or a red dot center)?
    If so Yes. Just open both eyes & Use the "Bindon Aiming Concept"
    (Remember, detractors we're close up here).
    Just look through the scope with both eyes open. The brain will superimpose the two images into one.
    This is how I shoot...

...everything.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    I just got a 1-8 scope and it seems to be the best of both worlds as far as closeup and far away. I can only do 100 yards at my range but I didn't even need to dial it to 8. I don't see a need for a prism or holo scope with this.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Mounting up top can be better for nightvision. It can also be useful in the same way the gbrs mount is useful for keeping a straight posture and not needing to bend your neck to find the dot.

The main drawback is that it takes the already high height-over bore of an AR and makes it ridiculous. So depending on the distance you're zero'd and the distance of that fox, you could be throwing shots way under or over it.

If you're not running nods, a canted red dot 45 off to the side makes for a faster transition from the scope to the dot and hugely reduces the height over bore problem.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Mounting up top can be better for nightvision. It can also be useful in the same way the gbrs mount is useful for keeping a straight posture and not needing to bend your neck to find the dot.

The main drawback is that it takes the already high height-over bore of an AR and makes it ridiculous. So depending on the distance you're zero'd and the distance of that fox, you could be throwing shots way under or over it.

If you're not running nods, a canted red dot 45 off to the side makes for a faster transition from the scope to the dot and hugely reduces the height over bore problem.
    You would want to at least have a 50 yard zero and know/train for the shorter distances. IMO, if it is strictly an HD gun, you could get away with a shorter zero because, more than likely, you aren't going to be engaging anyone beyond the longest indoor shot you abode will affords.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom