• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I've never fired or even held and AK-47 (although I hear that they're as heavy as 10 boxes!)

I'm merely interested in them because they are iconic and because Russian engineers often arrive at their solutions through entirely different paths and methods than Western engineers. I'm always fascinated by this stuff. Their tanks, their Buran space shuttle, their aircraft and submarines are all good examples of very different thinking.

Obviously I'm looking at some sort of civilianized reproduction of an AK that is semi-auto only, and that's perfectly fine. I'd like it to be chambered in the original 7.62x39, not 5.56 or something. I want the wood furniture, and as close to the "original experience" as possible. Does such a thing exist that is legal in Maryland or is it considered some sort of illegal copycat of an assault weapon? I know the MD 2013 ban might have some affect on this.

For me, this is about the "experience" kind of like owning and shooting an original Mosin. It's not about whether the AK is good or bad, superior to the AR or a good SHTF gun or anything like that.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Yeah, we're grandfathered in.

Lafayette

Not that kind of doctor
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2021
    Maryland
    Aw. :(

Well... people were allowed to retain their pre-2013 purchased AK's, right? Maybe I can link up with someone and shoot theirs.
    This is my only hope of experiencing a true AK. At least until Bianchi v. Frosh strikes down the 2013 FSA

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Milled are heavier than stamped; stamped receivers are not that heavy. 7.62x39 Norinco's are a hoot to shoot; never fail and accurate enough.

If not already done, you may want to sample a SKS. Not quite the same as an AK but a lot of fun also.

I'm with OP on this; interesting to have different platforms with different design concepts.

blipper

MDS Supporter
    Dec 4, 2017
    Dundalk (Baltimore County)
    I've never fired or even held and AK-47 (although I hear that they're as heavy as 10 boxes!)

I'm merely interested in them because they are iconic and because Russian engineers often arrive at their solutions through entirely different paths and methods than Western engineers. I'm always fascinated by this stuff. Their tanks, their Buran space shuttle, their aircraft and submarines are all good examples of very different thinking.

Obviously I'm looking at some sort of civilianized reproduction of an AK that is semi-auto only, and that's perfectly fine. I'd like it to be chambered in the original 7.62x39, not 5.56 or something. I want the wood furniture, and as close to the "original experience" as possible. Does such a thing exist that is legal in Maryland or is it considered some sort of illegal copycat of an assault weapon? I know the MD 2013 ban might have some affect on this.

For me, this is about the "experience" kind of like owning and shooting an original Mosin. It's not about whether the AK is good or bad, superior to the AR or a good SHTF gun or anything like that.

I’ve seen Free State offering the opportunity to go full auto on an AK for about $100 a session.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    An AKM has a 16.3” barrel, so a 15.9” SBR looks close enough. I’ve seen a few Marylanders do that.

You can also do various other SBRs like an SLR-107CR cut down to its proper barrel length or a Draco into a PM Md.90 if you want something reasonably clone correct for your combloc collection.

Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    How is that possible?!? :party29: Where can I find...HOLY :wtf: look at that price! :eek:
    Yes not cheap, but then again, what is cheap these days. You can buy them online, sign up for in stock notifications and be ready to buy. They go like candy.

Edit: I just saw it showed “in stock”. Fair price.

Last edited:

Rocinante

Jul 19, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    How is that possible?!? :party29: Where can I find...HOLY :wtf: look at that price! :eek:
    Beryl 7.62 uses a different bolt and front trunnion than nearly all other AKM derivatives and is not cross-compatible. The locking lugs are longer with correspondingly longer lug recesses in the trunnion. If you put a standard AKM bolt group into a Beryl 7.62, the lugs will not interface correctly with the trunnion and it will lead to an OOB detonation.
    Hence it fails the copycat test.

I'm merely interested in them because they are iconic and because Russian engineers often arrive at their solutions through entirely different paths and methods than Western engineers.
    Your best option then in this state is to find a Zastava ZPAP M92 and pretend it's a permanently under-folded M92, a Draco HG1916N and pretend it's a Romanian Pm.90 permanently side-folded, or broaden your specifications to include non-7.62x39 AK variants that were officially adopted by many nations.
    For example; Yugoslavia alone adopted and fielded AK derivatives in 5.56x45 NATO (M80, M85, M90), 7.62x51 NATO (M77, M77B1), 8x57 Mauser (M76) and 7.62x54R (M91) all before its dissolution in 1992 (you can find period photographs of all of these being used in the Yugo wars). Serbia is currently fielding the M21 (5.56x45), and is in the process of transitioning to the M19 (6.5x39 or 7.62x39).

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    An AKM has a 16.3” barrel, so a 15.9” SBR looks close enough. I’ve seen a few Marylanders do that.

You can also do various other SBRs like an SLR-107CR cut down to its proper barrel length or a Draco into a PM Md.90 if you want something reasonably clone correct for your combloc collection.
    This seems like the affordable way. How close is the conclusion of Bianchi v. Frosh? It seems like a lot of people are discussing their fantasy rifles as if a decision isn't too far in the future.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    This seems like the affordable way. How close is the conclusion of Bianchi v. Frosh? It seems like a lot of people are discussing their fantasy rifles as if a decision isn't too far in the future.
    No idea. I think people have been talking about their dream rifles since 10/1/2013, especially those who weren’t 21 or didn’t have the money at the time.

Sirex