• ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    From Gary Slider at handgunlaw.us:
    ID Enhanced Now Honored by South Carolina . . . Confirming Information
    Idaho and South Carolina have now signed an agreement so that South Carolina will honor the Idaho Enhanced Permit Only. The Idaho State Police have been showing on their site for over a month that reciprocity existed. You can see by viewing the actual agreement that SC signed on 9/20 and ID signed it today 9/24. http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/I...yAgreement.pdf

Previously I had posted about how anyone can make an error. Even some state websites do not have the correct or most up to date info. On the New Hampshire Page at www.handgunlaw.us I posted a date and stated the date was 10/17/2013. I read the date on the paperwork and not only read it wrong but put that wrong date on the page. The date was actually 10/17/2004. I have no idea how I got 2013 out of 2004 but I did. A reader finally got that through my think skull and I saw my error. It has been removed. Again confirm anything you read on the internet. Anyone can make an error. Alabama Officials , Idaho Officials and Myself have made errors that I have seen in the last month.

At www.handgunlaw.us on every state page there are links to state sites in the upper right corner that takes you to that states webpage on their firearm laws/regs on firearms etc.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    iD does issue non-resident permits, so this my be great for the South Carolina vacationers!

EDIT: Nevermind:sad20: ....(per below posts)

Last edited:

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    YES!!!

According to the agreement, SC will honor permits issued to citizens of the US... meaning that non-resident ID is good in SC.

However to get an enhanced permit you need one from your home state. Back to square 1.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Where did you see this? Handgun law still says SC does not honor NR permits.

From SC SLED page:
    Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wyoming.
    Residents of reciprocal states who hold permits issued by their states of residence may carry concealed firearms in South Carolina, but must abide by the restrictions in the South Carolina CWP law. For that reason, out of state residents of reciprocal states should familiarize themselves with restricted carry locations and other provisions of South Carolina law posted on this website. South Carolina permittees who carry firearms in reciprocal states are likewise responsible for familiarizing themselves with the applicable laws and regulations of the reciprocal state. Web sites of those states may be accessed by selecting the desired state name listed above.

Perhaps the web site is not updated but according to this and handgun law SC still does not honor NR permits from any state.

http://www.sled.sc.gov/Reciprocity1.aspx?MenuID=CWP

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    I am not 100% sure. Just going by what I read in the agreement. It could be that there is a general statute in SC that honors only res permits.

SLED likely hasn't updated yet since ID isn't listed.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Nope. The enhanced license is available ID residents or residents who hold a resident permit from their home state.

We're SOL.

-
    3302K. Issuance of Enhanced Licenses to Carry Concealed Weapons.
    (1)
    The sheriff of a county shall, within ninety (90) days after
    the filing of an ap
    plication by any person who
    is not disqualified from possessing or receiving a firearm under state or federal law and has otherwise
    complied with the requirements of this section for an enhanced license,
    issue an enhanced license to the
    person to carry a w
    eapon concealed on his
    person. Licenses issued under this section shall be valid for five
    (5) years
    from the date of issue.
    (2)
    A person may file an application with the sheriff of the county in
    which he resides or, if not an Idaho
    resident, with the sher
    iff of any county
    in Idaho.
    (4)
    The sheriff shall deny an enhanced license to carry a concealed
    weapon if the applicant is disqualified
    under any of the criteria listed in
    section 18
    -
    3302(1)(a) through (n), Idaho Code, or does not meet all of the
    followin
    g qualifications:
    (a)
    Has been a legal resident of the state of Idaho for at least six (6)
    consecutive months before filing
    an application under this section or
    holds a current license or permit to carry concealed firearms
    issued by his state of residency; and
    (b)

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I spoke to Gary Slider at handgunlaw. SC does not honor non resident permits by statute, so even if the reciprocity agreement allowed it, if you do not have a resident permit from a state they honor, you're SOL.

Gary Slider

Feb 15, 2009
    The only way for a person to legally carry in South Carolina is to have a SC Permit or at this time have a resident permit/license from
    AK, AR, AZ, FL, ID, KS, KY, LA, MI, MO NC, ND, NM, OH, OK, TX, TN, VA, WV or WY.

South Carolina along with Michigan, Colorado, Florida, New Hampshire and Maine only honor resident permits from the states they honor. Those 6 states will not honor any non resident permit from the states they honor.

To get an SC Permit you have to be a resident of SC or if you own property in SC that you pay property tax on even if you are not a resident of SC you can get an SC Permit.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    To get an SC Permit you have to be a resident of SC or if you own property in SC that you pay property tax on even if you are not a resident of SC you can get an SC Permit.

Or military stationed there (but they are considered to be residents).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom