SB86 (2023) - Rifles and Shotguns – Possession – Age Requirement (Raise the Age Act of 2023)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Want to guess why the Everytown rep (who I believe is a lawyer) is doing lobbying work and not pleading cases instead?
    Oh, he's not just lobbying/testifying, he writes briefs and replies to lawsuits for Everytown.

Most of this stuff is just ill conceived. I guess I am almost relieved that they mostly write stuff up based on feelings rather than hard legislative and judicial research to put together laws that might really stand judicial scrutiny. Or even ones where their own party isn't picking them apart after listening to their constituents.
    Not really ill conceived, just tilted to how they want the jurisprudence to be, and the jurisprudence they would like potential laws to be built on. The idea being that if a bill based on the jurisprudence they believe becomes law, it will bleed the 2A community dry with lawsuits overturning the erroneous laws.

One thing MD has proved, thankfully, is it is no New Jersey or New York. I realize the dust hasn't settled after the hearing and we have 2 months and some change till Sine Die. But NY? They special sessioned it, had effectively no public input or hearings and voted it out in what, one day? A day and a half? NJ took a little longer, but also rammed it through (unchanged?).
    Senator Smith may be a Democrat, but I believe him to be as close to an old school "blue dog" Democrat in todays terms. He doesn't drink the koolaide, and like he predecessor, takes the time to understand what the ultimate ramifications of the legislation in his committee could be.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Oh, he's not just lobbying/testifying, he writes briefs and replies to lawsuits for Everytown.

Not really ill conceived, just tilted to how they want the jurisprudence to be, and the jurisprudence they would like potential laws to be built on. The idea being that if a bill based on the jurisprudence they believe becomes law, it will bleed the 2A community dry with lawsuits overturning the erroneous laws.

Senator Smith may be a Democrat, but I believe him to be as close to an old school "blue dog" Democrat in todays terms. He doesn't drink the koolaide, and like he predecessor, takes the time to understand what the ultimate ramifications of the legislation in his committee could be.
    I hope the last bit remains true here. Mark has been very clear as to why what they are proposing is flatly unconstitutional. I hope Smith listens and doesn't just bow

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Him and Delegate Clippinger over in the house both seem very levelheaded in that respect.

I have some hope on these bills that they'll ultimately fail. Still sitting bummed this morning as the Howard County legislation was pushing a reduction in Archery safety zones, and then because of the Ellicott City and Columbia parts of the delegation they amended and gutted it. So reduced safety zones only apply to crop damage permit holders and county managed hunt programs.

Even though the director of DNR and the county managed hunt official told the delegation 50yd archery safety zones are safe and effective and in 50+ years of collecting statistics there has not be one SINGLE incident where a non-hunter was injured or killed from archery in Maryland, including in all of the counties with 50yd safety zones. Also that the amendment would likely do little to help the deer herd.

The Columbina and EC delegates had some feels though, and those has to be assuaged. I still can't believe MOCO managed to reduce their safey zones. And to 50 yds, but HoCo can't do the same. Oh well. Maybe next year they'd consider 100yds like AACo.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I hope the last bit remains true here. Mark has been very clear as to why what they are proposing is flatly unconstitutional. I hope Smith listens and doesn't just bow
    I won't just cave, Just like Zirkin, who got fed up with the games, Smith really doesn't play them.

Lafayette

Not that kind of doctor
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2021
    Maryland
    Him and Delegate Clippinger over in the house both seem very levelheaded in that respect.

I have some hope on these bills that they'll ultimately fail. Still sitting bummed this morning as the Howard County legislation was pushing a reduction in Archery safety zones, and then because of the Ellicott City and Columbia parts of the delegation they amended and gutted it. So reduced safety zones only apply to crop damage permit holders and county managed hunt programs.

Even though the director of DNR and the county managed hunt official told the delegation 50yd archery safety zones are safe and effective and in 50+ years of collecting statistics there has not be one SINGLE incident where a non-hunter was injured or killed from archery in Maryland, including in all of the counties with 50yd safety zones. Also that the amendment would likely do little to help the deer herd.

The Columbina and EC delegates had some feels though, and those has to be assuaged. I still can't believe MOCO managed to reduce their safey zones. And to 50 yds, but HoCo can't do the same. Oh well. Maybe next year they'd consider 100yds like AACo.
    And yet Clippinger just introduced a bill that would further limit W&C, increase fees and training requirements, and add more restrictions on who would be eligible for a permit.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I believe those pins are Art and Katie’s doing. Fvcking brilliant !!!
    Thanks for the credit ;). I really try not to brag about much...but indulge me a little on this on :D. I'm pretty proud of that slogan and it's popularity. I'm not going to claim to have created it (though I hadn't heard it before...but I'm sure someone else thought of it too), but I'm pretty sure I can take credit for all the one's we've seen in Annapolis so far. I first ordered them in 2020, in several batches. Patriot Picket was generous enough to buy most of them from me :bowdown: (I considered the cost a donation to the cause...but it did not take a lot of arm twisting to get reimbursed...and I used that money to buy more ;) ). That's why Stoveman still had some. I wanted to order more for this year...but lost track of time :o

Certainly, if anybody else wants to kick in their own, I ordered them here:
    Amazon product ASIN B07F428W29with this image:

gatbgfo.png

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    A shout out to my 18yo, James who got called up by Folden on the fly to testify after a loooong day. He only planned to be there with me to observe the process and had no plans to speak.

He came into yesterday not feeling particularly strong on the issue, not yet having a desire to get his own gun (other focuses at the moment) though understanding it was bad legislation.

After hours of testimony, he left feeling like someone was trying to take something important from him that he previously didn't know how important it was.

Proud of him and the other youngun's who stood up.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    A shout out to my 18yo, James who got called up by Folden on the fly to testify after a loooong day. He only planned to be there with me to observe the process and had no plans to speak.

He came into yesterday not feeling particularly strong on the issue, not yet having a desire to get his own gun (other focuses at the moment) though understanding it was bad legislation.

After hours of testimony, he left feeling like someone was trying to take something important from him that he previously didn't know how important it was.

The young folks who spoke were great. Be very proud, Dad!

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019

I sat next to him in the back row, and talked to him a bit.
    I was bragging to my wife about the fine young man that I was talking with.

Great job Dad

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    WV has a bill that would grant provisional carry permits to 18-21 year old residents for college campus carry. License expires at age 21 due to constitutional carry. Passed the state senate, but not sure of the house status. Some of these MD politicians would have aneurysms.

18-20yo in WV Can carry , just not conceal . And it's fairly common .

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Just testified for them to pass it so we can sue and collect 1983 fees.
    If only it was that easy. Point: We sued in 2016 on the HQL law. Here, in 2023, the merits are finally being considered by the 4th Circuit in oral argument next month. We might get a decision from them this year and then the losing party will seek en banc and SCT review. I may be dead and gone before that case is resolved.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    If only it was that easy. Point: We sued in 2016 on the HQL law. Here, in 2023, the merits are finally being considered by the 4th Circuit in oral argument next month. We might get a decision from them this year and then the losing party will seek en banc and SCT review. I may be dead and gone before that case is resolved.
    I will put my retirement in to life support. You're not escaping Maryland that easy!

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Oh, I understand the timeframe my friend, I just wanted to present a different view.

Great job by the way.

Slowhand

Pre-Banned
    Dec 13, 2011
    In a van, down by the river.
    Proposal to refer to Everytown as EveryClown. I had to leave at 2pm. Watched the video for hours, loved it. Young people are definitely our future leaders, at least the 4-Hers.
    Anybody have an idea on the time marker where one senator said "AG wants passed so vote it in. We'll deal with it in court"? I want that clip played all over the internet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom