SB1 (2023) - Criminal Law - Wearing, Carrying, or Transporting Firearms - Restrictions (Gun Safety Act of 2023)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    I doubt it. People on the far left would still vote for him and probably cheer the fact that he signed it in the first place. They hate the Constitution. People in the middle aren’t voting for his far left ass anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This^^^^^

He's not a normal person that faces consequences for stupidity.

He's protected.

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    Yes, I would think so. We did manage to get a mens rea requirement inserted (the violation must be "willful" so that will help protect against misunderstandings and non-willful violations.
    This was a really important addition to the legislation. Thank you for bringing it up in testimony before the House of Delegates committee. I believe that influenced the outcome.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Cool thank you! How would the mens rea requirement affect businesses or property being rented/leased? Is that more to do with going to stores, people’s houses, etc?
    SB1 requires the State to prove a "willful" violation which generally means that you knew it was unlawful and you did it anyway. Generally, that inquiry is highly fact dependent and a question for the jury, e.g., big GFZ sign with flashing lights is going to make it difficult to say that the violation was not willful. As to lessees, they have a "property interest" in real property under Section 6-411(b)(6) so under my reading of that provision, they are exempt. But assuming that my reading of SB1 is somehow wrong, it is a least a plausible reading of 6-411(b)(6), which means that until court rules otherwise, any violation by the lessee is arguably not willful.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    @esqappellate

Thanks you for all you and MSI do.

Walmart has the phrase "Kindly refrain from open carrying a firearm." Would that count as permission to carry concealed under SB1? It is my understanding that there is no specified signage in that bill.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    @esqappellate

Thanks you for all you and MSI do.

Walmart has the phrase "Kindly refrain from open carrying a firearm." Would that count as permission to carry concealed under SB1? It is my understanding that there is no specified signage in that bill.
    My non lawyer reading of that sign, is its plausible to say you read it as, they allow the carry but not open carry, only leaving concealed.

Under the willful part of breaking the law you probably would get away with it once. But then again the first time your caught you would probably get away with it anyways. I doubt the court will be throwing the book at people unless they are in monkey county.

kmittleman

Nov 22, 2010
    Howard County
    SB1 requires the State to prove a "willful" violation which generally means that you knew it was unlawful and you did it anyway. Generally, that inquiry is highly fact dependent and a question for the jury, e.g., big GFZ sign with flashing lights is going to make it difficult to say that the violation was not willful. As to lessees, they have a "property interest" in real property under Section 6-411(b)(6) so under my reading of that provision, they are exempt. But assuming that my reading of SB1 is somehow wrong, it is a least a plausible reading of 6-411(b)(6), which means that until court rules otherwise, any violation by the lessee is arguably not willful.
    Thank you Mark!

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    I wouldn't want to make that argument in court
    It seems like a perfectly reasonable understanding of the sign to me.

I am really curious how many people are going to abide by this BS come October and how many are just going to say "screw it" and do what they want. I suspect that most people won't admit to either, so will probably never know. After all, who wants to admit in public to a level of cowardice? And who is willing to publicly admit to committing a crime? How many will say they Will Not Comply, while actually complying? And how many will go about pretending to comply while lugging around two or three pounds of plastic, steel, copper and lead?

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Everyone on MDS is law abiding and the forum even has rules about posting illegal things so I am certain everyone always complies with all legal laws. The first rule of the carry club is.....

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Everyone on MDS is law abiding and the forum even has rules about posting illegal things so I am certain everyone always complies with all legal laws. The first rule of the carry club is.....
    We are all respectful of the Constitution AND the principles of Liberty our Country was founded upon. This is not a law.

"The general rule is that an unconstitutional statute, though having the form and name of law, is in reality no law, but is wholly void, and ineffective for any purpose; since unconstitutionality dates from the time of its enactment, and not merely from the date of the decision so branding it.No one is bound to obey an unconstitutional law and no courts are bound to enforce it."(16 Am. Jur. 2d, Section 177; later 2d, Section 256)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It seems like a perfectly reasonable understanding of the sign to me.

I am really curious how many people are going to abide by this BS come October and how many are just going to say "screw it" and do what they want.

Incomplete question.

Should be :

How Many will attempt to thread the needle ?

How Many will say screw it , and go full outlaw ?

How Many will say screw it , and hardly ever carry ?

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    At my favorite sub shop/deli in Sykesville. This is the kind of place that gets my money.
    IMG_4154.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom