SB1 (2023) - Criminal Law - Wearing, Carrying, or Transporting Firearms - Restrictions (Gun Safety Act of 2023)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    Rights aren't privileges. Just because the MGA treats them that way doesn't make it so. LEOs are only getting what they should be getting anyway as lawful citizens.

The problem isn't what LEOs are getting. The problem is that the MGA and all other leftist dominated entities are treating a right, that all lawful citizens should be enjoying, as a privilege.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    That was my understanding as well. If it is private property and guns are defacto banned, the owner(s) of the property, any licensed security guards employed by the owners, or anyone providing security without compensation and with the approval of the owner(s) may carry.

I think it would be real tricky if it was an employee who was armed with the approval of the owner(s). They are getting paid, but I'd assume so long as you can show that them being armed was not a function of the job, they were not employed because they volunteered to carry a firearm, and were not being provided any extra pay or benefits (remuneration) for carrying it would comply with the law.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The property tax relief is capped at the state level to a certain amount (I think its $1500) its primary goal is an incentive for volunteers because they are giving back to the community instead of JUST "draining"
    If it is a fixed amount, so effectively a fixed grant/stipend, I don't have any issues with that. Volunteer EMS and firefighters are doing exactly that, and if they get a small incentive to volunteer, I am down.

It would be a problem to me if it was not a fixed amount. Why would the volunteer EMS or firefighter who lives in the $1 million house deserve more benefit than the guy living in the $200,000 house? $1500 crap basically means anyone living on private property they own would get the same benefit (that's what, about $140-170k home, depending on the county to hit the $1500 cap? I'd imagine there are some homes worth less than that in the most rural parts of the state, but you'd probably still have to do a bit of searching to find one worth well under $200k in Maryland)

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    If it is a fixed amount, so effectively a fixed grant/stipend, I don't have any issues with that. Volunteer EMS and firefighters are doing exactly that, and if they get a small incentive to volunteer, I am down.

It would be a problem to me if it was not a fixed amount. Why would the volunteer EMS or firefighter who lives in the $1 million house deserve more benefit than the guy living in the $200,000 house? $1500 crap basically means anyone living on private property they own would get the same benefit (that's what, about $140-170k home, depending on the county to hit the $1500 cap? I'd imagine there are some homes worth less than that in the most rural parts of the state, but you'd probably still have to do a bit of searching to find one worth well under $200k in Maryland)
    it is fixed at the state level. When MoCo adopted it the MCVFRA (essentially volly union) threw a fit that the relief is a pittance in the costs of taxes in county. Council replied with thats the max legslly they can provide.

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    The benefit is tied to making your LOSAP requirements. LOSAP is essentially a retirement for volunteers. Its low (depending on county 250-600 max/mo after 25+ years) But they apply the monetary benefit equally. Make LOSAP? Here's your $1500 tax credit. Its paid out by the county in the form of a credit on your property tax, so no physical money comes from it.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    The benefit is tied to making your LOSAP requirements. LOSAP is essentially a retirement for volunteers. Its low (depending on county 250-600 max/mo after 25+ years) But they apply the monetary benefit equally. Make LOSAP? Here's your $1500 tax credit. Its paid out by the county in the form of a credit on your property tax, so no physical money comes from it.
    Just an aside - the property tax benefits don't apply to those volunteers, like me, that don't live in the county in which they volunteer.

Pax

Feb 11, 2023
    Sparks Maryland
    Saw this posted this morning under SB1 on MGA: Study pdf Racial Equity Impact https://mgaleg.maryland.gov/Pubs/BudgetFiscal/2023RS-SB0001-REIN.pdf
    My instructor has expressed to me many times how discriminatory these laws are. His opinion that there are minority citizens who have the greatest need due to their environment are being left behind. Little access to education and live fire training. Between availability as well as the associated expenses (which are going up for whole process). The cost for those who are in lower socioeconomic groups, are subject to the State's highly discriminatory set of laws.
    I have to agree there are so many flaws in this attempt to to circumvent the rights of all citizens interested in a simple right to defend self and family.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    My instructor has expressed to me many times how discriminatory these laws are. His opinion that there are minority citizens who have the greatest need due to their environment are being left behind. Little access to education and live fire training. Between availability as well as the associated expenses (which are going up for whole process). The cost for those who are in lower socioeconomic groups, are subject to the State's highly discriminatory set of laws.
    I have to agree there are so many flaws in this attempt to to circumvent the rights of all citizens interested in a simple right to defend self and family.
    Gun control is rooted in racism

Someone please ask Clippinger why he hates poor people when he tries to double the permitting fees in SB1

elwojo

File not found: M:/Liberty.exe
    Dec 23, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland

Here Webster is talking about how Bruen is making carry more accessible to people - and how that's a bad thing because more guns will be stolen from "unlocked vehicles". Never mind that any data they have is pre-Bruen...

This is the same Webster who provided expert testimony in support of SB1. This is the same guy who advocated for more firearms to be stored in cars as a result of SB1, and he is complaining that firearms are being stolen from cars, and he can't see that he advocated for more of that to happen.

Some people just really can't see the reality of the world outside of their ivory towers...

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Here Webster is talking about how Bruen is making carry more accessible to people - and how that's a bad thing because more guns will be stolen from "unlocked vehicles". Never mind that any data they have is pre-Bruen...

This is the same Webster who provided expert testimony in support of SB1. This is the same guy who advocated for more firearms to be stored in cars as a result of SB1, and he is complaining that firearms are being stolen from cars, and he can't see that he advocated for more of that to happen.

Some people just really can't see the reality of the world outside of their ivory towers...

The same Webster who has been found to lie. Nobody there cares.

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017

He sees it. He knows it. He's saying these things knowing full well he is lying and obfuscating.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Some helpful statistics in that report.

Someone should have asked them to study the real problem ..... "How does the existing permitting scheme and the SB 1 enhancements discriminate against poor residents who are disproportionately composed of ethnic and racial minorities?"

Now there are even more restrictions on inner city residents because there is virtually nowhere where they would be allowed to carry even if they could afford a permit and jump through the necessary hoops to acquire one.

elwojo

File not found: M:/Liberty.exe
    Dec 23, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Now there are even more restrictions on inner city residents because there is virtually nowhere where they would be allowed to carry even if they could afford a permit and jump through the necessary hoops to acquire one.
    This is not a bug. It's a critical feature of the proposed carry bills. They are on record that you shouldn't need a gun to protect yourself, and that anyone carrying a gun is a de-facto bad person (unless they are protecting the state's interests).

Remember, they are prohibitionists. They can't ban guns, so they are trying to pass whatever they can that will at least last a few years at a time in the courts.

They couldn't care less about an individual's problems. They've got their utopia to build at whatever costs.

Biknman

MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2023
    Baltimore City
    8317DCE9-D6D0-4D4A-BD1B-9606137B899D.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205