SB1 (2023) - Criminal Law - Wearing, Carrying, or Transporting Firearms - Restrictions (Gun Safety Act of 2023)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ebrew4

Sep 28, 2022
    Does anyone know what they are proposing as new restrictions to get or renew a w&c permit? Got mine only after an expungement. Concerned about renewing.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Equal protection clause:

"No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."
    Due process is an historical artifact that is no longer recognised by the legislatures.

PO2012

Oct 24, 2013
    And, I suspect patrons at that time might be punished for being drunk, but not for carrying a pistol.
    Precisely.

Maryland already has a statute called Intoxicated Endanger that makes it a misdemeanor to endanger the safety of a person or their property while intoxicated.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Does anyone know what they are proposing as new restrictions to get or renew a w&c permit? Got mine only after an expungement. Concerned about renewing.
    Read up, it's all here in this thread for you to see.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    There are some 28 other states (give or take) that recognize my MD permit through reciprocity. I find it downright embarrassing that none of those states put restrictions on my carry in THEIR state as much as MD puts on me in my own state. So other states trust our State Police to issue permits properly but our own legislators don't?

If you stop and listen, you can hear the carnival music playing in the background.....

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    If the the Bill merely banned conduct, e.g., banned the consumption of alcohol while armed, it probably would be unobjectionable. But it is silly to content that all restaurants are sensitive places merely because they may serve alcohol to others. No historical basis for that at all.
    I think someone pointed that out during the hearings and they ignored you... errmm.. the person that basically point that out.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Not sure where you are getting "make us feel like telling you to suck it." I don't mind you being blunt and honest, and I'm not trying to pick a fight here.

Reasons why? On the surface some might say it's because police face special risks. Underneath? It's bribery, plain and simple and appealing to baser natures of people. Making some people special, reinforcing division.

What I'm saying is that the MGA knows what they are doing. They are buying police complicity with the "I got mine" deal. I want to believe people got into law enforcement to fight for others, not to personally enrich themselves either monetarily or in special privilege. I guess I'm still an idealist somewhere under this hardened and cynical shell, and hoped police would stand up for their fellow citizens and deny special privilege.

And to clarify - I'm not asking retired police to deny special privilege. I'm asking them to fight just as hard for me to have that privilege too.
    Many people hate that we get to carry into retirement. I get it. People get their balls hurt. I and every one I know wants everyone to be able to carry. Don't lump retirees into the group of Licensing Division Troopers who happen to hate you.
    Those who can suck it are the ones who hate that we get the carve out, like we had something to do with it. Don't bring that shit to us.
    How is me carrying under LEOSA or with my WC permit a bribe? I don't vote for those assholes, and I don't work for any agency anymore. Also, I was Federal, so the state does not have any influence whatsoever.
    I have been followed by real, actual terrorists. Guys in my agency had government imposters go to their house.
    You ever arrest someone and then weeks later run into them at the mall? I have
    Correction Officers spend YEARS with hardened criminals who eventually get out and could be a legit, targeted threat. Not some random act of violence. So those in LE get a double whammy. Threats AND random violence.
    Those are some examples of probably/could be why the MGA allows it. I have no clue. More good guys with guns in more places. Lame, but that could be their reasoning as well.
    Active duty cops should be allowed to carry everywhere in order for them to perform their duties. You're a cop 24/7.

You find me a cop or retiree who doesn't want you to be able to carry, and I'll take up for you, ok?
    I am not going to feel guilty because I can and you can't. Like I said, I don't work in the licensing division, I'm not against people carrying. I also have no control if the MGA makes exemptions.

Lafayette

Not that kind of doctor
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2021
    Maryland
    Many people hate that we get to carry into retirement. I get it. People get their balls hurt. I and every one I know wants everyone to be able to carry. Don't lump retirees into the group of Licensing Division Troopers who happen to hate you.
    Those who can suck it are the ones who hate that we get the carve out, like we had something to do with it. Don't bring that shit to us.
    How is me carrying under LEOSA or with my WC permit a bribe? I don't vote for those assholes, and I don't work for any agency anymore. Also, I was Federal, so the state does not have any influence whatsoever.
    I have been followed by real, actual terrorists. Guys in my agency had government imposters go to their house.
    Correction Officers spend YEARS with hardened criminals who eventually get out and could be a legit, targeted threat. Not some random act of violence. So those in LE get a double whammy. Threats AND random violence.
    Those are some examples of probably/could be why the MGA allows it. I have no clue. More good guys with guns in more places. Lame, but that could be their reasoning as well.
    Active duty cops should be allowed to carry everywhere in order for them to perform their duties. You're a cop 24/7.

You find me a cop or retiree who doesn't want you to be able to carry, and I'll take up for you, ok?
    I am not going to feel guilty because I can and you can't. Like I said, I don't work in the licensing division, I'm not against people carrying. I also have no control if the MGA makes exemptions.
    I’ve got no beef here. I’m glad you can carry. I don’t resent that you can exercise your rights. I resent that there are people trying to prevent me from doing the same. And those people are manipulating police and the unions into supporting (or at least not actively fighting against) these restrictions. But nothing about what I’ve said is intended as an attack on police or you.

And whether you’re feeling guilty or not? I’ll leave it up to you to decide about that. Your prerogative.

You’re a good dude from what I’ve observed here in my years of lurking. Not that you do care or even should care about my random opinion. Thanks for taking the time to reply, though. :thumbsup:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I’ve got no beef here. I’m glad you can carry. I don’t resent that you can exercise your rights. I resent that there are people trying to prevent me from doing the same. And those people are manipulating police and the unions into supporting (or at least not actively fighting against) these restrictions. But nothing about what I’ve said is intended as an attack on police or you.

And whether you’re feeling guilty or not? I’ll leave it up to you to decide about that. Your prerogative.

You’re a good dude from what I’ve observed here in my years of lurking. Not that you do care or even should care about my random opinion. Thanks for taking the time to reply, though. :thumbsup:
    My apologies if you thought I thought you were bashing. I confuse easily and often. ;)

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    If the the Bill merely banned conduct, e.g., banned the consumption of alcohol while armed, it probably would be unobjectionable. But it is silly to content that all restaurants are sensitive places merely because they may serve alcohol to others. No historical basis for that at all.

Good point. They aren't banning behavior they are banning the location (restaurants) which as you mention can hardly be argued as a "sensitive place" either. Maybe we do have a chance to overturn it. Ridiculous that the GA just doesn't care and will pass it like this anyway. Bring on the legal challenge.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    They’re wasting OUR money on both ends. Not theirs

Well not wasting money by donating to MSI, but eating our valuable and limited resources

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Allowing retired police, correction officer, Ect.
    To carry while we can not .Is not Their fault or doing by any means that they are allowed To still carry.

The new law Is just a backdoor means to the “old good and substantial clause” before Bruen was passed.
    Once again the state is trying to divide/ Pitt one class of citizen against the other.
    All respect to those that have and still serve our country , state, and community

Just trying to look at the big picture along with what politicians are trying to accomplish with these exceptions.

Imagine if these exceptions were not in place.
    Would police unions be allowing new laws restricting carry take place without a fight?
    Would new proposed laws have more opposition if not for these exemptions ?

Just asking. And thank you for those that have and do serve our community.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg

dick statement, brother. I love ya but that is the exact attitude others here say the MGA and Po Po think, guns for me not for thee. Boo effing hoo. Perhaps if you said it a little less sharkskin-like it would go further. Although, I know you give no phucks on that. Enumerated right should not be an issue. Then you have the ones I mentioned saying no no no I cannot have non experienced gun owners. They need years of training first, blah blah.

Next time, let the mfer's make 1A assholes like blantifa get fingered I mean fingerprinted, take classes, wait 7 days, renew licenses, photo ID, etc. on their dime. I'll wait....

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    dick statement, brother. I love ya but that is the exact attitude others here say the MGA and Po Po think, guns for me not for thee. Boo effing hoo. Perhaps if you said it a little less sharkskin-like it would go further. Although, I know you give no phucks on that. Enumerated right should not be an issue. Then you have the ones I mentioned saying no no no I cannot have non experienced gun owners. They need years of training first, blah blah.

Next time, let the mfer's make 1A assholes like blantifa get fingered I mean fingerprinted, take classes, wait 7 days, renew licenses, photo ID, etc. on their dime. I'll wait....
    Gee. It's almost like you have no clue what I said. Read it sober tomorrow and then you can change your mind.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    How the heck would some patron be expected to know that... must you conduct a financial audit before walking into an establishment? Good grief.

In order for that to apply , the establishment must be posted with a sign of specified ( large) size and font , specifically citing the statute .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There are some 28 other states (give or take) that recognize my MD permit through reciprocity.

Really? I don’t think so….

Semantics time again ;

Reciprosity = Bilateral agreement between two states to recognize each other's Permits , sometimes with fine print .

Recognize = One state deciding on their own to accept another's Permit , sometimes with fine print .

Several states , including neighboring MD , will blanketly recognize All Permits .

Add those to Con Carry ( with fine print) states , and +/- 30 is plausible .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

If we were to be discussing unobjectionable alternatives to address a hypothetical need to proscribe drunken stupidity , the model would be those states that explicitly use " BAC such to prohibit the operation of motor vehicle " , to prohibit the possesion of Loaded firearm .

Reasonable , objective standard , no subjectivity .

[ Yes , there have been greater than zero cases of people legitimately defending themselves at home when they were over the limit to drive . But if you're going to have any statute at all on the subject , the above is least worst .]

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom