SB1 (2023) - Criminal Law - Wearing, Carrying, or Transporting Firearms - Restrictions (Gun Safety Act of 2023)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sclag22

Jan 9, 2013
    Fred Co.
    Not a lawyer, but...this seems like it no longer means we're getting double charged for violating terms of the carry permit, which ais a lifetime disqualifier?
    Screenshot_20230314-162245.png

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Where do I find how Senator Ron Watson voted? I’d like to compare that with how he votes after both chambers reach a decision and pass it to the governor.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Strikeouts reflect language removed from current law. Amendments to the bill, once accepted, will completely remove language from the bill prior to passing. Make sense? At least this is my understanding of the bill process.
    Amendments show up as strike outs as well for new language removed and brackets for new language added.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    There’s no way that this could possibly pass constitutional muster, see the screenshot of the section of the bill I added below. I think they know they’re going to get beat in court, they just want to try to shove anything they can so they can tell their handlers that they tried when it gets struck down. .

I drive a truck for a living, I don’t think I even knew four people that aren’t my family. Hopefully this ******** will be struck down in the courts by the time I have to renew my permit.
    The section you posted has been removed from the current text of the bill (Senate 3rd reader).

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Saw that after I posted and read further, glad you got squared away.
    If you want to see the amendments, go here: https://mgaleg.maryland.gov/mgawebsite/Legislation/Details/sb0001

Click on the arrow beside history and the amendments and their text are laid out. So are the voting records to date.
    Thanks I’ll give it a look see. I’m just waiting to see the Supreme Court stomp a mud hole in their ass when they get slapped down.
    Until then I like the taste of freedom all of us have waited for for a lifetime and I don’t plan on doing anything different than I’m doing now. Carry on ladies and Gentlemen. :draw:

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    In the current senate version, is the ban on carry in restaurants still there, and is there still a presumption that all private property is presumed to be no-carry unless there is a sign explicitly permitting carry?

I hate this state.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    In the current senate version, is the ban on carry in restaurants still there, and is there still a presumption that all private property is presumed to be no-carry unless there is a sign explicitly permitting carry?

I hate this state.
    Anywhere that sells alcohol is banned. Folden tried to amend it to say folks consuming alcohol can't carry but that was defeated.

Presumptive ban is gone. It is replaced by signs backed by force of law. A new charge called criminal trespass or something.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Anywhere that sells alcohol is banned. Folden tried to amend it to say folks consuming alcohol can't carry but that was defeated.

Presumptive ban is gone. It is replaced by signs backed by force of law. A new charge called criminal trespass or something.

These people are ridiculous. What is the penalty for violations? As I read it, the first two instances of conviction would not be sufficient to rise to the level of a ban on possessing firearms, correct?

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    These people are ridiculous. What is the penalty for violations? As I read it, the first two instances of conviction would not be sufficient to rise to the level of a ban on possessing firearms, correct?
    Correct. I don't recall penalty but it's minor. Issue is if it runs you afoul of 4-203 (essentially carrying without a permit) that's a disqualifier

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    When does this go into effect or is it all ready?
    Tell us you haven't read the thread without telling us you haven't read the thread

I try to keep up folks as best I can. Call it my way of helping I suppose. I don't know. But I'm not going to reply to this base level of "I don't want to read just tell me" anymore

will/ar15

Apr 3, 2018
    Tell us you haven't read the thread without telling us you haven't read the thread

I try to keep up folks as best I can. Call it my way of helping I suppose. I don't know. But I'm not going to reply to this base level of "I don't want to read just tell me" anymore
    I am so confused. It has a date if Jan 2023. They didn't even vote on it yet. I don't think is is stupid question. I am reall confused

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom