SB1 (2023) - Criminal Law - Wearing, Carrying, or Transporting Firearms - Restrictions (Gun Safety Act of 2023)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    You all give them too much credit

The Dems fall in line when they are told to do so. Smith may be a professional moreso than others there but he's a leftist in the end. If Moore (haven't heard much from him have we?) or Ferguson lean hard enough he will cave. If not he will just be replaced at JPR.
    No, he really won't just "fall in line" like his predecessor, he very much dislikes passing a bill just to pass it knowing it will be struck down by the courts. He really doesn't part take in the koolaid, and understand the Constitutional ramifications of passing ill conceived bills.
    He has been that way since he was a freshman Delegate on the House Judiciary Committee.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Agree. Though restricting carry in public areas flies in the face of Bruen. The 2A could care less if Waldstreicher gets Koro from wondering if the guy next to his family at a restaurant has a gun….because THAT guy has a right to defend HIS family. Bruen said as much. They can’t pass anything that isn’t repugnant to the Constitution.

Koro is my favorite psychiatric disorder….
    Koro. Isn’t that that prion disease people in New Guinea were getting from canabalism?

Yeah. For 2A, someone’s feelings aren’t my problem. The ability to defend myself or my family is my problem.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    No, he really won't just "fall in line" like his predecessor, he very much dislikes passing a bill just to pass it knowing it will be struck down by the courts. He really doesn't part take in the koolaid, and understand the Constitutional ramifications of passing ill conceived bills.
    He has been that way since he was a freshman Delegate on the House Judiciary Committee.
    I respect your experience. I really do.

We've seen the Left rally time and time again when they were reported to be in disarray and disagreement. Sure it's normally at the national level but that groupthink permeates the party.

I hope that come April I am eating my words. In fact I'll gladly eat them right before you and admit as much.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    I hate this state! As a transplant from New Jersey, when I moved to the “free state” 30 years ago I was hoping it would be better. Unfortunately it’s just New Jersey south with the same BS. I really thought it couldn’t get worse than the O’Malley years but every year it gets worse. Maybe I just have BGOS, but unless this BS gets stuck down I’m gonna have to move. This is 2013 all over again.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I hate this state! As a transplant from New Jersey, when I moved to the “free state” 30 years ago I was hoping it would be better. Unfortunately it’s just New Jersey south with the same BS. I really thought it couldn’t get worse than the O’Malley years but every year it gets worse. Maybe I just have BGOS, but unless this BS gets stuck down I’m gonna have to move. This is 2013 all over again.
    Let’s see how far they get. We have Supreme Court precedent…also FSA2013 should be dead any time now.

44 Bulldog

Oct 25, 2012
    Dunkirk-Calvert County
    Has Waldstriecher realized that if some nut case came into a place of business where he and his family were that it's possible that a wear and carry permit holder just might save his life.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I respect your experience. I really do.

We've seen the Left rally time and time again when they were reported to be in disarray and disagreement. Sure it's normally at the national level but that groupthink permeates the party.

I hope that come April I am eating my words. In fact I'll gladly eat them right before you and admit as much.
    Don't get me wrong, they will probably pass something, but t the demand of the Senate President, The Speaker of the House, or the Governor. If he passes something out of committee, it will be something he feels will stand a chance of surviving a lawsuit from Mark (which it probably won't)

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    As much as we may not agree with his politics, I really respect Smith's professionalism, just like Clippinger on the House side. They both do a much better job masking and working through their disdain for us than the vice chairs, and you can see it when they step out to potty or whatever and the VC's take over.

I have heard it from other respected sources (in addition to dblas, who is just as respected) that Smith does not want to pass "bad" laws...at least it terms of holding up to scrutiny. As was pointed out, Smith's name was conspicuously absent as a sponsor of this bill (the first version, anyway...I didn't check the second). Considering the other realistic alternatives, I think we are lucky that he is the chair.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Don't get me wrong, they will probably pass something, but t the demand of the Senate President, The Speaker of the House, or the Governor. If he passes something out of committee, it will be something he feels will stand a chance of surviving a lawsuit from Mark (which it probably won't)
    Niether the Senate Prez, Governor, or Speaker are as politically powerful as what the Dems had in 2013 and prior. They hold powerful positions, but they lack the seniority power. They are fresh up-n-comers, just not there yet. Not that they won't try.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    As much as we may not agree with his politics, I really respect Smith's professionalism, just like Clippinger on the House side. They both do a much better job masking and working through their disdain for us than the vice chairs, and you can see it when they step out to potty or whatever and the VC's take over.

I have heard it from other respected sources (in addition to dblas, who is just as respected) that Smith does not want to pass "bad" laws...at least it terms of holding up to scrutiny. As was pointed out, Smith's name was conspicuously absent as a sponsor of this bill (the first version, anyway...I didn't check the second). Considering the other realistic alternatives, I think we are lucky that he is the chair.
    If he’s realistic, he’ll know they are dead in the water. The question can be answered by knowing how much Bloomberg and Soros money sits in his coffers…

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom