SB1 (2023) - Criminal Law - Wearing, Carrying, or Transporting Firearms - Restrictions (Gun Safety Act of 2023)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    My Sainted Maternal Grandmother’s maiden name was Feeley.

The Polish and Irish tend to marry regularly.

The world’s two most notorious drinkers!

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    My Sainted Maternal Grandmother’s maiden name was Feeley.

The Polish and Irish tend to marry regularly.

The world’s two most notorious drinkers!
    Here, here, says this Polack who's best friends are an Irishman and a Scotsman, and I worked for a Feeley back in the day, so I have that going for me. Back to my glass of Midleton.

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    Just looked at the amendment for SB858. It is a significant softening of the law. Now the firearm AND ammunition must be readily accessible to be a violation. Still a problem. But no longer makes it a crime to have guns in your home unless ammo and guns are at all times locked up separately.
    They can KMA I keep at least one firearm loaded condition 1 at all times. Anything else is useless for home defense. Even MD case law respects defense in one's home.

Lafayette

Not that kind of doctor
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2021
    Maryland
    They can KMA I keep at least one firearm loaded condition 1 at all times. Anything else is useless for home defense. Even MD case law respects defense in one's home.
    I’m with you on this one.

In sum, we hold that the District’s ban on handgun possession in the home violates the Second Amendment, as does its prohibition against rendering any lawful fire- arm in the home operable for the purpose of immediate self-defense.”

Seems like Heller v. DC was pretty clear on this…you can’t force me to store my weapons in an inoperable state (which I would include unloaded.) I can certainly choose to do so myself of course.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The language means a loaded gun can be left in the home. So long as it is not readily accessible to a minor or prohibited person, or they are supervised.

I'd hope you don't leave loaded unsecured guns laying around if you've got little kids. If I have a loaded gun, its either on me, or in a quick access safe. Because I do have kids in the home.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    What is the current law regarding transport of a firearm in regards to “separation” and “locked”?
    like maybe a truck gun?

I just read there’s a carve out for transport if in separate containers and ”locked”!

”-Firearms carried or transported in motor vehicles so long as the firearm(s) is unloaded and locked in a container that is separate from any ammunition that is suitable for use in the firearm(s)” MSI link

Damn locks and their Friggin carve-outs, tired of these locks and their unions and oh I’m better than everyone blah blah blah. Sum biches! I don’t care if I divide the community … damn locks, “oh I’m your first line of defense blah blah … shut up!

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    The language means a loaded gun can be left in the home. So long as it is not readily accessible to a minor or prohibited person, or they are supervised.

I'd hope you don't leave loaded unsecured guns laying around if you've got little kids. If I have a loaded gun, its either on me, or in a quick access safe. Because I do have kids in the home.
    I have 2 quick access safes (one upstairs, one downstairs) with loaded handguns, I have my larger safe with my longguns, those are kept condition 3.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    What is the current law regarding transport of a firearm in regards to “separation” and “locked”?
    like maybe a truck gun?

I just read there’s a carve out for transport if in separate containers and ”locked”!

”-Firearms carried or transported in motor vehicles so long as the firearm(s) is unloaded and locked in a container that is separate from any ammunition that is suitable for use in the firearm(s)” MSI link

Damn locks and their Friggin carve-outs, tired of these locks and their unions and oh I’m better than everyone blah blah blah. Sum biches! I don’t care if I divide the community … damn locks, “oh I’m your first line of defense blah blah … shut up!
    Current bill. It isn't law yet.

Yeah, it is stricter than what current transport law is. It appears to only apply to transport in these new areas.

Which is kind of crazy, since the laws appear to only apply to buildings for the most part. Limited exceptions like "at a protest". Of course how are you supposed to know a protest is happening when it is "within 100 yards away" from a protest, so long as there are no gun signs. And if you do find yourself driving through one, you should have already removed your carry gun, unloaded it, and locked up the gun.

It is batshit crazy.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    If the fees are doubled and the courts rule that BS, what happens? Are permits free until they pass a new law with acceptable fee amounts or do the old fees return?

I don't see how permits issuance can be frozen unless they say the expiration will have a grace period, but that doesn't solve the problem of new permits. But if that takes a bill -> law then that would be moot because they would just "fix" the fees.

They wouldn't have to contend with these problems if they would just go constitutional carry.

Last edited:

Lafayette

Not that kind of doctor
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2021
    Maryland
    If the fees are doubled and the courts rule that BS, what happens? Are permits free until they pass a new law with acceptable fee amounts or do the old fees return.

I don't see how permits issuance can be frozen unless they say the expiration will have a grace period, but that doesn't solve the problem of new permits. But if that takes a bill -> law then that would be moot because they would just "fix" the fees.

They wouldn't have to contend with these problems if they would just go constitutional carry.
    I imagine it would revert to status quo - aka same fees as exist presently.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I wonder if the Bruen majority envisioned the level of shenanigans being pulled at every level of government following publication of the opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom