• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    SB-1 was voted out of the Maryland Senate and it will be heard by the House Judiciary Committee on March 29th. SB-1 is the proposed law that will SEVERELY restrict YOUR lawful right to wear and carry a firearm for self-defense outside the home in Maryland. If this legislation passes it will become a practical impossibility for many law-abiding people to legally carry a firearm for self-defense outside the home. The people most victimized by this law will be domestic violence survivors, people living and working in high-crime areas and anyone that is vulnerable to violent crime, at anytime. If the House Judiciary Committee votes favorably on this discriminatory legislation it will become law in October.

PLEASE IMMEDIATELY CONTACT contact the members of the House Judiciary Committee to tell them to stop this bill in committee so it will not proceed to a floor vote. Please VISIT these Delegates and tell them to vote unfavorably in committee. And if you can't do that please EMAIL, CALL OR MAIL your thoughts to them. Make sure to tell them to vote unfavorably on this discriminatory and illegal bill.

Delegate contact information is below. Please also share this information with all your friends and family to make sure they are also contacting these MGA delegates.

Maryland wear & carry permit holders now number close to 140,000 people. If at least 15,000 people contact these committee members between now and March 29th this bill can be stopped in committee. Only with numbers can we stop this bill (and others like it.)

PLEASE CONTACT YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS AND TELL THEM TO CALL, WRITE AND VISIT THESE DELEGATES IMMEDIATELY.

SB-1: Criminal Law - Wearing, Carrying, or Transporting Firearms - Restrictions (Gun Safety Act of 2023)

House Judiciary Committee

NamePartyEmail AddressPhone NumberPhone NumberToll Free Number
    Delegate Luke ClippingerDemocratluke.clippinger@house.state.md.us410-841-3488301-858-34881-800-492-7122 ext. 3488
    Delegate David MoonDemocratDavid.Moon@house.state.md.us410-841-3474301-858-34741-800-492-7122 ext. 3474
    Delegate Lauren ArikanRepublicanlauren.arikan@house.state.md.us410-841-3334301-858-33341-800-492-7122 ext. 3334
    Delegate J. Sandy BartlettDemocratsandy.bartlett@house.state.md.us410-841-3370301-858-33701-800-492-7122 ext. 3370
    Delegate Christopher Eric BouchatRepublicanchristopher.bouchat@house.state.md.us410-841-3200301-858-32001-800-492-7122 ext. 3200
    Delegate Jon S. CardinDemocratjon.cardin@house.state.md.us410-841-3054301-858-30541-800-492-7122 ext. 3054
    Delegate Frank M. Conaway, Jr.Democratfrank.conaway@house.state.md.us410-841-3189301-858-31891-800-492-7122 ext. 3189
    Delegate Charlotte CrutchfieldDemocratcharlotte.crutchfield@house.state.md.us410-841-3485301-858-34851-800-492-7122 ext. 3485
    Delegate Elizabeth EmbryDemocratelizabeth.embry@house.state.md.us410-841-3638301-858-36831-800-492-7122 ext. 3638
    Delegate Robin L. Grammer, Jr.RepublicanRobin.Grammer@house.state.md.us410-841-3298301-858-32981-800-492-7122 ext. 3298
    Delegate Aaron M. KaufmanDemocrataaron.kaufman@house.state.md.us410-841-3314301-858-33141-800-492-7122 ext. 3314
    Delegate Rachel MunozRepublicanrachel.munoz@house.state.md.us410-841-3510301-858-35101-800-492-7122 ext. 3510
    Delegate Cheryl E. PasteurDemocratcheryl.pasteur@house.state.md.us410-841-3448301-858-34481-800-492-7122 ext. 3448
    Delegate N. Scott PhillipsDemocratn.scott.phillips@house.state.md.us410-841-3358301-858-33581-800-492-7122 ext. 3358
    Delegate Stuart Michael Schmidt, Jr.Republicanstuart.schmidt@house.state.md.us410-841-3110301-858-31101-800-492-7122 ext. 3110
    Delegate Gary SimmonsDemocratgary.simmons@house.state.md.us410-841-3581301-858-35811-800-492-7122 ext. 3581
    Delegate Karen SimpsonDemocratkaren.simpson@house.state.md.us410-841-3436301-858-34361-800-492-7122 ext. 3436
    Delegate Kym TaylorDemocratkym.taylor@house.state.md.us410-841-3331301-858-33311-800-492-7122 ext. 3331
    Delegate Chris TomlinsonRepublicanchris.tomlinson@house.state.md.us410-841-3359301-858-33591-800-492-7122 ext. 3359
    Delegate Karen TolesDemocratkaren.toles@house.state.md.us410-841-3524301-858-35241-800-492-7122 ext. 3524
    Delegate William ValentineRepublicanwilliam.valentine@house.state.md.us410-841-3636301-858-36361-800-492-7122 ext. 3636
    Delegate Nicole A. WilliamsDemocratnicole.williams@house.state.md.us410-841-3058301-858-30581-800-492-7122 ext. 3058
    Delegate Caylin YoungDemocratcaylin.young@house.state.md.us410-841-3429301-858-34291-800-492-7122 ext. 3429

Thank you very much.

Biknman

MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2023
    Baltimore City
    Here is a copy of what I sent please feel free to cut and paste for your own response:

Dear Lawmakers,

As a constituent I am emailing you today to strongly suggest that you OPPOSE the proposed state bills SB 1 being proposed as they are grossly unconstitutional and I’m afraid will make more law abiding citizens criminals via unintended consequences.
    Yet again peaceable individuals are being scapegoated and punished for the actions of others. Yet again, the state is incapable of doing anything besides reaching for tired, old, and failed policies that abuse the natural rights of their constituents.
    As the state has become increasingly weaponized against peaceable people, faith in the institutions of this state has also increasingly diminished. Actions such as this, pushing to totally ban firearms across almost all public and private property, will only increase social and political disillusion.
    These laws have been struck down repeatedly across the country and challenged in any state that has managed to pass them, and here will be no different. The precedent and standard was made with the Bruen decision, and that is what should be followed less you tie us up in more prolonged and expensive legal battles, wasting even more tax dollars just to lose.
    I highly recommend that you oppose ANY bill aimed at restricting our rights and where we can and can't carry, and encourage your colleagues to do so as well. If not at least admen’s the section “where alcohol is served” to read while consuming alcohol. As this will have made criminals of many law abiding good citizens via unintended consequences that I believe that you do not intend to cause.

Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• text.txt
      1.6 KB · Views: 56

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    Here is a copy of what I sent please feel free to cut and paste for your own response:

Dear Lawmakers,

As a constituent I am emailing you today to strongly suggest that you OPPOSE the proposed state bills SB 1 being proposed as they are grossly unconstitutional and I’m afraid will make more law abiding citizens criminals via unintended consequences.
    Yet again peaceable individuals are being scapegoated and punished for the actions of others. Yet again, the state is incapable of doing anything besides reaching for tired, old, and failed policies that abuse the natural rights of their constituents.
    As the state has become increasingly weaponized against peaceable people, faith in the institutions of this state has also increasingly diminished. Actions such as this, pushing to totally ban firearms across almost all public and private property, will only increase social and political disillusion.
    These laws have been struck down repeatedly across the country and challenged in any state that has managed to pass them, and here will be no different. The precedent and standard was made with the Bruen decision, and that is what should be followed less you tie us up in more prolonged and expensive legal battles, wasting even more tax dollars just to lose.
    I highly recommend that you oppose ANY bill aimed at restricting our rights and where we can and can't carry, and encourage your colleagues to do so as well. If not at least admen’s the section “where alcohol is served” to read while consuming alcohol. As this will have made criminals of many law abiding good citizens via unintended consequences that I believe that you do not intend to cause.

Thank you for your time.
    Strong work! Thank you!

EXIT WOUND

Sep 22, 2011

Dear Lawmakers,

Thank you for your time.
    well said. I certainly will do my part.

JollyPedro

Aug 15, 2022
    St Mary's County
    Im all about opposing this bill, but dont you think saying "will become a practical impossibility for many law-abiding people to legally carry a firearm for self-defense outside the home" is a little over the top??
    While it still stinks, the current amendments aren't nearly as bad as it originally was. Im still going to write in opposition, just curious if im missing something?

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    Im all about opposing this bill, but dont you think saying "will become a practical impossibility for many law-abiding people to legally carry a firearm for self-defense outside the home" is a little over the top??
    While it still stinks, the current amendments aren't nearly as bad as it originally was. Im still going to write in opposition, just curious if im missing something?
    Fair question. I don't think it's over the top to say "will become a practical impossibility for many law-abiding people to legally carry a firearm for self-defense outside the home". Here's a few reasons and scenarios why I think this:

Domestic Violence Victims: If one is a domestic violence victim he/she may have a stalker or violent domestic partner/spouse that could strike anywhere at any time. Assuming the domestic abuse survivor is a female, it will be a practical impossibility for her to carry as she takes her children to/from school, during medical appointments, after-school activities with her children, dining out, appointments with social workers in state-owned facilities, and more. I wrote extensively about this particular class of people at this post.

People reliant upon public transportation: I also don't think it's over the top for someone that lives in a city and depends upon public transportation to navigate. A person like this has no place that he/she can store a legally carried weapon if he/she needs to visit a doctor, take children to/from school, visit school counselors, attend appointments in state facilities, or other places.

Multiple-site workers: For people that work out of vans or trucks, they may have to perform work on specific sites that are included in the extensive lists of locations where carry is not allowed. There are other posts on MDS that discuss how frequently work trucks are robbed. Some people that should be allowed to carry in locations that will become illegal in October will certainly have their weapons stolen as they work in such facilities while their vehicles are in the parking lot.

Anyone with a wear & carry permit: What if someone is invited to dinner at a pre-determined restaurant for a family dinner after work, but that person didn't choose the restaurant? Or they get some free tickets for a show during work but they carried to work? What if someone has a medical emergency while carrying? What if they are called to pick up their child from school? There are innumerable scenarios where this law will make it a practical impossibility for people to exercise the right to self-defense outside the home.

That's how I read this legislation. By design it makes the list of locations where carry is prohibited, and the timing of carry permissibility (meaning life is unplanned, and sometimes one must visit a doctor, or have an opportunity to meet friends and family in some prevented locations, etc.) to make it a practical impossibility for many people to exercise the right to armed self-defense outside the home.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Bikenman I copied your e mail and sent to all the delegates listed above.

My experience talking to people and friends is a lot never even were made aware that now they can get carry permit.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I emailed every single member above using Biknman's form letter with a subject line of Oppose SB-1 and my name, address, and phone number as the close of the message. Every single member of MD Shooters needs to do the same.

garywent

Jul 30, 2022
    Baltimore
    I emailed them all, hope they listen for a change. For what its worth, here is a copy of what I sent them all.

Please do not pass SB-1, law abiding citizens are not committing crimes and the need to protect our families is very real in this day and age. I will not support anyone who votes to restrict my abilities to do this and since almost all assults except for home invasions happen in a public area this bill is ridiculous. The recent Bruen decision did not make obtaining a permit easier, it simply made it possible, and there is already sufficent restrictions on where concealed carry is permitted. I strongly urge you to support the good people of this state and not the anti-gun extremists. Please vote no. Thank You.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Feel free to discuss, pick-apart and outright criticize.

Note: In about, maybe, maybe not, 2012-ish there was a trend to be a DINO and the movement caught me up...I am a Democrat In Name Only. It brings me great joy to be non-progressive to the Progressive knuckleheads.

Note 2: Talk about joy, oh boy it was a pleasure to vote against Marylin Mosby.

Honorable Delegates,

I am grateful for the Supreme Court for finally recognizing my Right to carry equal fire power to the many out of control criminals on the streets of Maryland and the comfort it brings me to be able to protect myself and my family.

SB1 will strip me of that Right and I'm torn between being bitter for it passing, which will be both unconstitutional, and that it will incur a lawsuit that the State of Maryland would fight with my tax money.

With your duty to honor the Constitution I know this bill could not pass. Thank you and...

VOTE NO TO SB1.

Sincerely,

Douglas Bikebreath ;)
    Democrat

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Used the Op's template, shortened and personalized slightly- feel free to use if anyone wishes.

I've emailed to all of them. There should be no shortage of people to email with the numbers of permit holders, members on MDS, and those who oppose this outside of those groups. Takes only a few minutes to add our voices.

Delegates,
    I am emailing you today as a current and long time Maryland HGP (Wear and Carry Permit) bearer to strongly suggest that you OPPOSE the proposed state bill SB 1 (Gun Safety Act of 2023) being proposed as the changes to current state law it provides are grossly unconstitutional and I’m afraid will make more law abiding citizens criminals via unintended consequences.

Maryland state statutes in place regarding restrictions on carry by permit holders have been more than satisfactory to maintain the safety of the citizens of this state for many years as well as allow the right to self defense for HGP holders such as myself who have long complied with all requirements of the law regarding training, restricted locations, and costs associated with obtaining this permit.

The Bruen decision has not relaxed any of the already strict requirements for obtaining the Maryland HGP other than removing the subjective nature of denials of the past where otherwise qualified individuals who were willing and able to invest in time, training, and demonstrate personal responsible behavior were denied unfairly.

Criminals will certainly not abide by any of these proposed measures any more than they do the current law, this will simply make lawful citizens more easy to target for their activity.

I highly recommend that you oppose ANY bill aimed at further restricting the rights of lawful HGP holders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom