Savage Receiver Scope Mount 8-40 Thread Variablity?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    A guy I know from work wanted me to help him mount a scope on his Savage 110 in 30-06. He got a Leupold rail from Bass Pro that stated it had 8-40 screws. Savage advertises these rifles has having 8-40 (I looked up the exact model). I get the rail out and the torque wrench ready and when I go the start the screws, they just drop right into the holes.

My question is; is this due to the variability of the threads, or did someone swap out his 8-40 screws for 6-48 screws in his scope base at Bass Pro? The packaging is a simple clam shell that anyone can just open.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I went through something similar in October. The screw size was changed very recently and most available kits didn’t work. Wish I could remember the exact sizing but I did end up calling savage. GL
    I’m thinking you may be correct about a in store change out. You can dial caliper the screw to make sure

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    A guy I know from work wanted me to help him mount a scope on his Savage 110 in 30-06. He got a Leupold rail from Bass Pro that stated it had 8-40 screws. Savage advertises these rifles has having 8-40 (I looked up the exact model). I get the rail out and the torque wrench ready and when I go the start the screws, they just drop right into the holes.

My question is; is this due to the variability of the threads, or did someone swap out his 8-40 screws for 6-48 screws in his scope base at Bass Pro? The packaging is a simple clam shell that anyone can just open.

Screw diameters listed here, along with selecting bases for the different
    110's generally.
    https://savagearms.com/blog?p=how-to-find-the-right-bases-for-a-savage-centerfire-rifle

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I went through something similar in October. The screw size was changed very recently and most available kits didn’t work. Wish I could remember the exact sizing but I did end up calling savage. GL
    I’m thinking you may be correct about a in store change out. You can dial caliper the screw to make sure

Unfortunately I did not think to look up what the screw diameter should have been and measure with calipers. The guy left with his rifle and hardware. Looks like the 8-40 screws should be 0.16" in diameter if my Internet search is correct.

[EDIT] Actually, according to the link Uncle Duke provided: #6-48 screws will measure approximately 0.138”. #8-40 screws will measure approximately 0.164”.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom