Fingers off triggers and barrel down range
    All guns are loaded even unloaded ones

Lots of other things

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    I see you are from Chicago OP. Besides the four golden rules, leave Chicongo. That's the best safety advice I have to give.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Print out, laminate & give him this.

The 12 Golden rules for Safe Gun Handling

1. Always treat the gun as loaded.
    2. Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
    3. Always keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
    4. Always keep the gun unloaded until you are ready to use it.
    5. Never point the gun at anything you don't intend to destroy.
    6. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
    7. Learn the mechanical and handling characteristics of the gun you are using.
    8. Always use proper Ammunition.
    9. Be sure the barrel is clear of obstructions before loading and shooting.
    10. If your gun fails to fire when the trigger is pulled, hold your shooting position for several seconds; then with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, carefully unload the gun.
    11. Don't rely on the gun's safety to keep it from firing.
    12. Be aware of your surroundings when handling guns so you don't trip or lose your balance and accidentally point and/or fire the gun at anyone or anything.

msinc

Mar 12, 2010
    Chronically hammer the number one point of gun safety....keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction!!!!! No one ever got hurt by a gun that went off when it was pointed in a safe direction.

Roksfr

Ardent Safety Training
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 14, 2020
    Southern AA
    Have him memorize and repeat the 4 primary rules, say them while you are driving to the range
    Find a local club, or instructor and pay for some basic training. Even as an experienced shooter there are things that a professional instructors can point out . Just like anything else, golf, baseball---- the fundamentals are critical. And bad habits are hard to break

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Chronically hammer the number one point of gun safety....keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction!!!!! No one ever got hurt by a gun that went off when it was pointed in a safe direction.
    This.
    One of my biggest fears when taking new shooters to the range is that they'll turn around with the pistol and sweep everything. I tell them that they need to think there's a deadly laser coming out of the barrel ALL the time. Giving new shooters a long list of don'ts can be overwhelming and they're likely to forget some of them. Keep a very close eye on them during the entire shooting session, stand directly behind them and be prepared to reach around them and grab wrists if they start to pivot around to say something or ask a question. Tell them if they're confused or concerned about something to simply put the pistol on the bench with the barrel pointing downrange. For the first shooting session, tell them not to worry about necessarily hitting the bullseye, safe handling of the pistol and familiarization of the shooting process is a good enough objective. One step at a time, go slow, BE SAFE.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    This.
    One of my biggest fears when taking new shooters to the range is that they'll turn around with the pistol and sweep everything. I tell them that they need to think there's a deadly laser coming out of the barrel ALL the time. Giving new shooters a long list of don'ts can be overwhelming and they're likely to forget some of them. Keep a very close eye on them during the entire shooting session, stand directly behind them and be prepared to reach around them and grab wrists if they start to pivot around to say something or ask a question. Tell them if they're confused or concerned about something to simply put the pistol on the bench with the barrel pointing downrange. For the first shooting session, tell them not to worry about necessarily hitting the bullseye, safe handling of the pistol and familiarization of the shooting process is a good enough objective. One step at a time, go slow, BE SAFE.
    1707494031125.jpeg

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    One thing I ALWAYS bring up in youth shoots on top of the standard safety briefing is about spent brass.
    Make damn sure he knows NOT to take spent brass to school. Check your pockets, etc before leaving the range. If he reaches in his pocket at school and happens to find a shell and it is seen by someone, life will SUCK. I kicked a scout off the range and barred him for pocketing some brass. Not good. Especially when his father had to drive 75 miles one way to pick him up.
    I also demonstrate holding a fake gun and someone calls my name. I turn to answer and now the firearm is pointing where it should not be.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    Read my signature on the four rules of gun safety and then find out how they came into being. They will go a long way in helping you understand gun safety.

Last edited:

Gun Commander

Industry Partner
    Jan 13, 2023
    Arnold, MD
    I’d be happy to work with him. I have a fundamentals class that covers safety. Can also tailor some private lessons to suit your needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    The boys safety training begins with you, Dad

He's been watching you his whole life and he wants to be just like you.

Doesn't matter if he needs to learn Safety with Guns, Knives, Power and Hand Tools, Cars, Bikes or Women.

You are his primary Role Model and Trainer. Your attitudes and practices will become his own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom