• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    With the steel mag release, been running them for over a year, thousand rounds down range without any issues.

Accidentally purchased two of the Gen-2 kits (2 mags & steel release) put in classified forum transfer in Va, it was immediately removed.

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I can tell you, I've experienced a few problems. At first blush, I experienced quite a few stoppages in my 48. I shortened the OAL of my reloads and that seemed to work, for the most part. After about 600 rounds, I experienced very few(some days none) stoppages right up until my W&C qual, where I had 2 feeding jams. Not good. Since that day, I haven't had anymore problems. Since viewing this video, I was moved to take a second look at things.

I found two inherent problems. Though I noticed my gun was not picking up first round just as was shown in the video, I disagree on the cause.

1) By its own nature, the Glock mag actually positions the bullet further forward in the mag, allowing the 'grabber' on the side to grab the bullet reliably, wherein the Shield mag lacks that extra polymer outer shell resulting in the bullet position sitting more rearward in the mag resulting in the hang-up.

2) The feed lips on the Glock mags are a good bit longer and proved bullet alignment and stability, both of which are important factors in guaranteeing reliable feeding. This is important because the ejector tends to inflict a tilt in the cartridge, nose up and rim down, again causing the grabber to miss the round occasionally on the slide's forward travel.

I've made a couple adjustments, one to the gun and one to the mag. I bent the rear top corners of the feed lips slightly inward to try and move the cartridge forward. Secondly, I took a very minute bit of material from the underside of the ejector to reduce its tilting influence on the cartridge, keeping it closer to the same angle of approach as is on the Glock factory mags. Both of these changes are very slight. It is also worth mentioning, making sure you positively seat your mag upon insertion will help circumvent most problems in this regard.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Are the mags plastic? Then you can.
    Metal and plastic don't mix.
    No, they're metal. No personal experience with these but they state in thier description that they work with the stock mag release.
    I am going to get one of these to play with, but will probably stick to Glock for carry.
    Also, I carried yesterday for the first time. So I really don't know shit.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Thanks for posting RD. Definitely an interesting video. AFMOE--Never had a problem w/Glock mags and FTF on the 43X platform. Changed the mag release when I started using Shield mags. Never have had a problem w/FTF on gen 1 or gen 2 mags. Follow manufactures notice---who knew? YMMV... As always-- if you're going to carry make sure the gun runs properly no matter how it's configured-- almost like your life (or loved ones lives) depended on it .

I can tell you, I've experienced a few problems. At first blush, I experienced quite a few stoppages in my 48. I shortened the OAL of my reloads and that seemed to work, for the most part. After about 600 rounds, I experienced very few(some days none) stoppages right up until my W&C qual, where I had 2 feeding jams. Not good. Since that day, I haven't had anymore problems. Since viewing this video, I was moved to take a second look at things.

I found two inherent problems. Though I noticed my gun was not picking up first round just as was shown in the video, I disagree on the cause.

1) By its own nature, the Glock mag actually positions the bullet further forward in the mag, allowing the 'grabber' on the side to grab the bullet reliably, wherein the Shield mag lacks that extra polymer outer shell resulting in the bullet position sitting more rearward in the mag resulting in the hang-up.

2) The feed lips on the Glock mags are a good bit longer and proved bullet alignment and stability, both of which are important factors in guaranteeing reliable feeding. This is important because the ejector tends to inflict a tilt in the cartridge, nose up and rim down, again causing the grabber to miss the round occasionally on the slide's forward travel.

I've made a couple adjustments, one to the gun and one to the mag. I bent the rear top corners of the feed lips slightly inward to try and move the cartridge forward. Secondly, I took a very minute bit of material from the underside of the ejector to reduce its tilting influence on the cartridge, keeping it closer to the same angle of approach as is on the Glock factory mags. Both of these changes are very slight. It is also worth mentioning, making sure you positively seat your mag upon insertion will help circumvent most problems in this regard.
    Thank you both for your response. My intention in posting the video… was to cause folks to explore the information provided and take a closer look into their own experience. Thereby, being able to find greater confidence in what they are carrying to defend themselves, should the need arise.

Maybe some perceived a slight against the product or their choice in buying/using it. But that is not the case at all.
    :beer:
    Carry on, safely and responsibly.

ETA outrider,
    As to your point #1… I’m wondering if simply putting a slight dimple inward on the top rear of the S15 mag body, would move, and hold that first round far enough forward, that it would be in the proper alignment with the stock tab on the slide… and thereby correct the problem where the first round is too far to the rear to be picked up?

Last edited:

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Watch the rest of the video. Then let us know what you think. The information in the video is very well explained. But not in the first few seconds with his disclaimer for those with modified pistols.
    The concerns are not without merit. I took my stock G19 and G43X(altered). He is right the wiggle room in the magazine after seating is more, well like double. In this test I will admit I did get one misfeed. Cant lie. Anything here is an anecdote in my private area. Yes, I can shoot weapons in my backyard.
    Him fixing variables? He should have used more than one weapon. That is that primary other factor other than the magazine.

My general thoughts on the 43x. Carry. I might need to look at the magazine closer. There is a difference of the mag release. once I replaced the release with metal? The polymer 10 round would not drop reliably. I am ok with this, but you should practice with the magazine to see it is reliable as there is play.

I need practice. no comments. :)

~!G
    g43xands15.jpg

target2.jpg
    target1.jpg

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    The concerns are not without merit. I took my stock G19 and G43X(altered). He is right the wiggle room in the magazine after seating is more, well like double. In this test I will admit I did get one misfeed. Cant lie. Anything here is an anecdote in my private area. Yes, I can shoot weapons in my backyard.
    Him fixing variables? He should have used more than one weapon. That is that primary other factor other than the magazine.

My general thoughts on the 43x. Carry. I might need to look at the magazine closer. There is a difference of the mag release. once I replaced the release with metal? The polymer 10 round would not drop reliably. I am ok with this, but you should practice with the magazine to see it is reliable as there is play.

I need practice. no comments. :)

~!G
    View attachment 379055

View attachment 379057 View attachment 379058

The fact that you checked, makes the thread worth the effort.
    It’s good that your misfeed was experienced in practice/testing, and not when you needed that round to save your life.

There are a couple ways to mitigate the slop/play at the top of the S15 in the mag well. At most it appears to need only about 1/16” to 3/32” of adjustment.
    1) dimple the back of the mag at the top to set the first round forward enough that it will always feed reliably.
    2) use a small 1/4”x1/2” thin piece of polymer, attached with 3M auto trim tape about 1/2” from the top, on the back of the mag, to set the mag forward in the top of the mag well.

Either way would hold the first round far enough forward that it would be picked up by the slide as it travels forward to take the rind from the mag and into the chamber.

The first one would likely be the preferred method.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I really wish Magguts would release an aftermarket spring and follower for the 43x/48 to allow, say, 12 in the standard 10 rd magazine. I'd trust that a lot more than the SA mags and would be able to stick with the Glock mag catch.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    20220905_170937.jpg

Thinking of making the switch over to the steel mag catch & shield arms mags. It looks like his concerns are a non-issue if you use the recommended mag catch and if you rack the slide instead of using the slide catch as a release. Worst case, you could likely just add a dab of epoxy on the upper/rear of the mag or something to move everything forward into position.

I've seen enough examples of flawless performance from the shield arms stuff to take the jump over without much concern.

I won't try the promag. I've had their mags before and they've always sucked in any platform. Reviews seem to indicate that they're junk.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I have experienced many problems with the Gen 1 and 2 S15 Magazines.

The video RD posted is on point. He does not candy coat it.

S.A. also will charge you a restocking fee for mags that won't work.

Some Glocks have no issues with the S15 mags and others do. Some have unknown issues and the owners don't know enough about the weapon to identify the problems.

If they make a Gen3 I'll try them. I refuse to use Gen 1 & 2 in any of my family's Glocks and the ones I work on professionally.

Yes, I have used them metal shield arms magazine catches as instructed. Problems are usually not resolved by it.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I have experienced many problems with the Gen 1 and 2 S15 Magazines.

The video RD posted is on point. He does not candy coat it.

S.A. also will charge you a restocking fee for mags that won't work.

Some Glocks have no issues with the S15 mags and others do. Some have unknown issues and the owners don't know enough about the weapon to identify the problems.

If they make a Gen3 I'll try them. I refuse to use Gen 1 & 2 in any of my family's Glocks and the ones I work on professionally.

Yes, I have used them metal shield arms magazine catches as instructed. Problems are usually not resolved by it.
    Have you tried tossing either a bead of weld on the upper rear of the mag, or some other method of bumping the top of the mag slightly forward? It seems like the ridge on the front makes up for not having polymer wrapped around up there, but there's nothing protruding from the back to make up for not having polymer there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom