• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ziondogg

Feb 1, 2012
    SOMD
    Can someone with more knowledge than me on these give me a rough estimate on what it's worth please.

Attachments

• 503249.jpg
      503249.jpg
      241.6 KB · Views: 89

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Seriously, we need more than one picture and a little more info like was it a PD issue. Provenance can help any gun's value

Got some wear at the muzzle but hard to judge the other spots due to the angle and lighting.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Can someone with more knowledge than me on these give me a rough estimate on what it's worth please.
    $50 gift card at a 'buy back' program in PG County.

Up to $5,000 from someone who has every other S&W model but the 13-1.

I saw a 13-3 for sale for $499, not long ago.
    ------------------

13-1 (1974-1977) introduced for the NYSP with model # stamping. The Model 13 was requested by the New York State Police in order to have a .357 Magnum revolver to replace their Model 10 .38 Special.

The Model 13 was the last revolver issued by the FBI. It was an unqualified success with Special Agents. The round-butt K-frame with 3” barrel in .357 Magnum proved to be an ideal sidearm for an investigative agency. [3] According to Hickock45, the Model 13 was an FBI standard-issue between 1981 and 1991.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    That looks like it's in really nice shape. I was going to say more like $650 (at least) but I am not an expert; just from looking at a bunch of Smiths for sale.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    Dash one variations of S&W revolvers are like catnip to collectors because they were only made for a short period of time. Detailed photos are necessary, and a mechanical inspection needs to be done. If there is any provenance, that could contribute to the value. To get an idea of the market check out the completed sales on gunbroker.com.

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    Great gun…carried the 13-3 for about five years as a duty weapon…put Pachmyers on it…loved it…had to turn it in because the agency was returning all to S&W…otherwise, I would have bought it…ultimately, bought one on GB about five years ago…solid. Simple. Thousands upon thousands of rounds fired without the slight hiccup. Usually used +P rather than full 357 Mag.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I bought a S&W 13 in the late 70s and wish I'd kept it, but I swapped it for a Ruger Security-Six. Back then I was new to handguns and there was a gun writer out in Utah by the name of Clair Reese, who had reviewed the Security-Six, then decided to sell it. He also had been sent a pair of Hewlett wood grips (which I still have). Anyone who's fired an old-styled Security-Six with skinny grips and full magnum ammo knows those guns really need grips. So do S&W 13s.

So I got the Security-Six with the grips and let the S&W 13 go. And looking back, I should have kept the 13 (because I already had a 6-inch Ruger). But for me, stainless steel was the way to go. And even back then, people were shooting stunning amounts of full throttle magnum rounds through the Ruger without so much of a burp, and the Ruger had adjustable sights, and the 13 didn't. That said, I've bought many knives I've never carried or used, and the 13 was a beautiful gun. And if I'd kept it, I most likely wouldn't have shot it, as I'm a collector at heart. Also, it's just become horribly expensive to shoot, and I doubt the Montgomery County Police Department would be amused were I to target practice in my back yard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom