• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oswaldo87

Feb 1, 2020
    Frederick County
    I bought a new S&W 686+ Pro (357 w/ 5” barrel). I’ve been shooting close to 2 decades and not new to proper technique etc. It was shooting near 6-8” to the left at 10-15 yards. I started to adjust the rear sight a few clicks at a time and never got it to hit center. I’ve used 38, 357, cast, coated, copper, plated, gas checked, 125gr, 158gr, 170gr, and 180gr. None got me to center with the sight pegged to the right. Closest I got was 170gr cast Keith style 38’s. Still 1-2”to the left. This was done using a rest in single action. The barrel appears to be clocked properly and sights are secured.
    I’ve never had accuracy problems with a Smith after a couple clicks adjustment. Is there a simple fix to this? Justifiable claim to S&W warranty department?
    Kind of disappointed on a $1000 revolver.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I bought a new S&W 686+ Pro (357 w/ 5” barrel). I’ve been shooting close to 2 decades and not new to proper technique etc. It was shooting near 6-8” to the left at 10-15 yards. I started to adjust the rear sight a few clicks at a time and never got it to hit center. I’ve used 38, 357, cast, coated, copper, plated, gas checked, 125gr, 158gr, 170gr, and 180gr. None got me to center with the sight pegged to the right. Closest I got was 170gr cast Keith style 38’s. Still 1-2”to the left. This was done using a rest in single action. The barrel appears to be clocked properly and sights are secured.
    I’ve never had accuracy problems with a Smith after a couple clicks adjustment. Is there a simple fix to this? Justifiable claim to S&W warranty department?
    Kind of disappointed on a $1000 revolver.
    Something is screwy. It ain't you. I know you can shoot.

I'd call Smith first.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Call now so you start the process of getting it back.

I bought a new 642 within the last year that had a defect in the frame that I didn’t notice until cleaning after it’s first range trip.

Sent pics to S&W customer service and they said send it in. Gave me a case# and prepaid FedEx label.

Before I emailed the pics, I called and the guy was like, send it in but I decided to send pics to see if it was only cosmetic.

They took all the good parts and put them on a new frame. They did not replace it. At least that’s what they told me and it was too new to have marks I could identify.

They took care of it but it took about 6 weeks. Since they replaced the frame, I had to do the 7 day dance again.

The repaired firearm looks and shoot fine.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    My two first thoughts were bent bbl ( easy to check) , or the bbl threads in the frame off square .
    I got a S&W M63 when they first came out, The barrel was cross-threaded.IIRC I had to send it back a second time because they didn't address the issue at first.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I got a new 686+ with a 6 inch barrel. The first shot went right in the X ring. So something must be really wrong. Send it back to Smith for warranty repair.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Im gonna go with above that bbl is not threaded flat … OP, you may even be able to see the front sight is either / or \ with your naked eye … I know I could on the lemon 586 6” I got decades ago (S&W customer service was the pits during that time period also; hopefully better now)

I’m not sure precisely when but, within the last half decade, S&W revolver QC has gone quite to sh*t … particularly snubbies …

I am surprised this is the first, recent MDS thread (I’m aware of) as other boards have sometimes multiple threads going about serious issues with later model S&W’s …

This happened once before (I wanna say the mid-80’s to early 90’s; I know because I got a 586 6” that turned out to be a real lemon)

It’s bad enough 2023 that renowned trainers are regrettably publishing they can not at present recommend S&W revolvers …

To wit, G. Ellifritz, on August 18, 2023:

I really like the 43C…so long as your particular model works. The last three new J-frames I’ve purchased have come broken from the factory and had to go back after firing the first cylinder. As much as I love Smith and Wessons, I can’t recommend their new revolvers anymore. I think most shooters are better off with a Ruger LCR.

when he posted up a copy of this July, ‘23 review article: https://www.guns.com/news/review/3067108-2

Last edited:

Oswaldo87

Feb 1, 2020
    Frederick County
    I called and have a FedEx label in my email. No questions asked curiously. Barrel doesn’t seem to visibly off or sight leaning. Not my first time doing a little gunsmithing and this has my head scratching. Might slap a straight edge to the frame and see what the barrel has to say when I get home today.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Late 90’s had to send my new 629 DX back to Smith for a rebarrel. The pistol would throw a shot out of a very nice group when shooting lead bullets. The barrel showed the broach cocked during rifling. Service was excellent and pistol shot excellent after that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom