• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheWhiteBuffalo

Not Impressed
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hughesville, MD
    I'm turning to the pros on this one for some history or thoughts on this .38 Special. Originally, I thought it was a Smith & Wesson, but I finally took a closer look and saw it was stamped "FN". I know it must be older then dirt, and it's really beat, but I still find these type of weapons to be interesting.

It appears like the cylinder catch is worn, as the cylinder just free spins. I wonder if finding parts would be near impossible? I would love to get it functioning and maybe looking at doing something with the finish.

Thanks for any insight or thoughts.

Attachments

• PXL_20230114_202028404.MP.jpg
      PXL_20230114_202028404.MP.jpg
      386.3 KB · Views: 86
    • PXL_20230114_202021633.MP.jpg
      PXL_20230114_202021633.MP.jpg
      443.3 KB · Views: 95
    • PXL_20230115_140627868.MP.jpg
      PXL_20230115_140627868.MP.jpg
      273.4 KB · Views: 89
    Jul 1, 2012
    Those are Spanish proofs below the "FN". The "FN" looks like it was added, not a manufacturer mark. My guess is it's a Spanish copy like a Moxely, from the 1920's (the "hope" proof (circled) and lack of a date proof points that way). The shield is the Eibar proof-house mark IIRC.
    PXL_20230115_140627868.MP.jpg

TheWhiteBuffalo

Not Impressed
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hughesville, MD
    Those are Spanish proofs below the "FN". The "FN" looks like it was added, not a manufacturer mark. My guess is it's a Spanish copy like a Moxely, from the 1920's (the "hope" proof (circled) and lack of a date proof points that way). The shield is the Eibar proof-house mark IIRC.
    View attachment 396523
    That is great information, thank you for taking the time to help out! I really appreciate it!

Jul 1, 2012
    Here's the proofs from a 1920's Star Model A. They started implementing a date code in 1927 with "A". I forget what the "P.V." means here.
    4 - Copy.JPG

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The Basques cranked out a lot of simplified versions of popular handguns back in the day. Generally they didn't have a great reputation for quality.

Parts were often made on the "cottage system," then hand fitted. Thus interchangeability is not something to count on.

If you're thinking of buying it, don't expect to shoot it or restore it to operating condition. Buy it as a historic example of the Eibar gun industry, perhaps, and don't pay much for it.

I'd say buy it for $50 and sell it at the next "buy back" for a cool profit.

If you want a shooter, lightly used Model 10s are cheap and plentiful.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not as cheap or plentiful as a cpl years ago .

GLR Enterprises currently has an early '50s " Pre Model Number " in VG condition with box , for $700 , and yes , that is a good price .

The few .38 Spl former duty guns directly trickling into the market from foreign PDs , Corrections depts , and Security forces are mainly M64 , and $400 - ish .

But yes , the OP's gun is an Ebir knockoff . Quality varied from serviceable to suitable for fish weight .

A better one still in serviceable order might make a shooter , but if it needs parts , it's a wallhanger , or a test mule for home refinishing .

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    If you want a shooter, lightly used Model 10s are cheap and plentiful.
    Like the man said, not any more.

A couple years ago you couldn't swing a cat without hitting a M10 for 300 bucks. Today on GB they're going for 2x that figure, and there's a delusional dingbat trying to get a grand for his.

That said, they're fine revolvers; great trigger, nice and solid. I like the heavy barrel ones, personally.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I hate the 2020s.
    It's Trump's fault.

If he hadn't been elected, no 2020 peaceful rioting, no huge push for citizens to arm themselves . . . for that matter, President Hillary would have finished gutting the Bill of Rights by this time.

I'm surprised you don't already have sufficient Model 10s. If you outlive me, you can have mine.

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    I'm turning to the pros on this one for some history or thoughts on this .38 Special. Originally, I thought it was a Smith & Wesson, but I finally took a closer look and saw it was stamped "FN". I know it must be older then dirt, and it's really beat, but I still find these type of weapons to be interesting.

It appears like the cylinder catch is worn, as the cylinder just free spins. I wonder if finding parts would be near impossible? I would love to get it functioning and maybe looking at doing something with the finish.

Thanks for any insight or thoughts.

Definitely one of the many Eibar guns...the butt of the gun where the serial is may bear small initials...and that is your maker. I've owned a few, and my last one was an Eibar M1924 Victory or Hand Ejector clone in .38 Largo (Colt)...can't recall which.

Athelney878

Jan 9, 2021
    Montgomery County
    A couple years ago you couldn't swing a cat without hitting a M10 for 300 bucks. Today on GB they're going for 2x that figure, and there's a delusional dingbat trying to get a grand for his.
    You can still find them for around $300 if you’re patient and observant. I picked up a pre-Model 10 in good shape for about $325 last year. The seller didn’t know it was C&R until I pointed it out. A 10-5 in excellent condition sold for $300 in an auction (not at gunbroker) I was watching earlier this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom