• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Browning Fan

Feb 21, 2024
    Baltimore
    This mount has an arrow that is supposed to point towards the muzzle per instruction sheet and Umerex instructional video; both can be found right next to each other in a Google search. Ok, sooo.. mine is completely opposite!! In instructions AND video, with the arrow pointing towards the breech, mounting plate and Allen head cap screws are on the LEFT, mine are in the RIGHT. Pictures that I find on line of that gun, plate and screws are on left.
    6243B8DE-E431-4362-8CFE-27465AFB9C01.jpeg

BigTinBoat

Jan 12, 2016
    Eastern Baltimore County
    The direction the arrow points is the lower end of the mount. This is there to compensate for barrel "droop". Some barrels droop such that you cannot lower the elevation on the scope to get zeroed, or it puts the elevation at it's very extreme. If it works on your gun as is that should be just fine as long as your scope it not maxed out in it's adjustment. It's better for the erector mechanism to be closer to center as opposed to at either extreme.

Browning Fan

Feb 21, 2024
    Baltimore
    The direction the arrow points is the lower end of the mount. This is there to compensate for barrel "droop". Some barrels droop such that you cannot lower the elevation on the scope to get zeroed, or it puts the elevation at it's very extreme. If it works on your gun as is that should be just fine as long as your scope it not maxed out in it's adjustment. It's better for the erector mechanism to be closer to center as opposed to at either extreme.
    I understand why the arrow is there. I am saying that my mount has the arrow in the opposite direction so it makes it backwards.

BigTinBoat

Jan 12, 2016
    Eastern Baltimore County
    I understand why the arrow is there. I am saying that my mount has the arrow in the opposite direction so it makes it backwards.
    Not sure why you think it is "backwards". As long as the front is lower with the arrow pointing forward it is correct. When I do a search I find images with the clamping bar on the left and also on the right when arrow is pointing "forward"

Front the UMarex site -
    1710690857700.jpeg

From the Airgundepot site -
    1710690872901.jpeg

Browning Fan

Feb 21, 2024
    Baltimore
    Not sure why you think it is "backwards". As long as the front is lower with the arrow pointing forward it is correct. When I do a search I find images with the clamping bar on the left and also on the right when arrow is pointing "forward"

Front the UMarex site -
    View attachment 460707
    From the Airgundepot site -
    View attachment 460708
    I think that because mine is the opposite as pictured in RWS instructions and in the Umerex video produced by them, on mounting a scope using RWS Lock Down Mount on a RWS 350 magnum.
    I’m sure that you have indeed seen them both ways. Since YouTube came out, I have people bringing me diesel trucks that started out just sick but after somebody saw something on YouTube, they have it wrong.

Browning Fan

Feb 21, 2024
    Baltimore
    I put a laser bore siter in it. I put the dot on a wall about 25yds away. Dot was quite a bit above the crosshairs. I was able to lign up the hairs with dot and hit a soup can but I had to run the dial in a good bit. No measuring, no paper, blah blah. Only had a few free minutes before it started to get dark. I’m going to call Umerex tomorrow and ask about this arrow being different than paper instructions and video. I didn’t get a chance to measure with a caliper the height of each scope tube cradle.
    Need to start weight lifting. That gun is ridiculously heavy. I think that it is heavier than my Remington R15 ( really a Bushmaster) with a bi-pod and Nikon scope attached.

BigTinBoat

Jan 12, 2016
    Eastern Baltimore County
    Not sure what in the world you are referencing Youtube for, but if your bore site dot is ABOVE the crosshairs when you have the scope erector centered you do NOT have barrel droop, and likely do NOT need this compensating mount and would likely benefit from a standard mount or rings.

Browning Fan

Feb 21, 2024
    Baltimore
    I put the gun back in the gun vise. I got the block that the barrel is welded or pressed into level. I move level to receiver and scope. I found that they also were level. That told me that the RWS Lock Down Mount is just .025 of even elevation. I move level to barrel. It indicated that the barrel is canted upward. I slip feeler gauges under low end of level until it became level. That barrel cants .028 upward.
    I call Umarex. Kid asks me if the gun is a left or right handed model. Took silent deep breath. He eventually said that he wanted to talk to the gunsmith. I asked if he had a strong understanding of my findings. He said that he did not. I politely asked, If you do not understand, you won’t be able to convey what is going on. Won’t it be better if I speak with him. He said, yes it would be. I speak with him. He said, I do not know if it is just that way or not. I’m creating a warranty service case. I’m am sending you a shipping label so you can send it to us. Our “ metallurgy “ department will have to determine if that is normal.
    Do any of you men own a 350 magnum? I have read that some guns are deigned with the barrel canting upward.

Browning Fan

Feb 21, 2024
    Baltimore
    I also just found 2 threads on this topic, on the GTA forum. Two separate thread, two separate people stating that RWS factory stated that they “ adjust “ ( less startling word for bending. Somebody was given a script to read), for POI to be in the middle of iron site adjustment.
    So if that is in fact the case and I am inclined it to be, as one of those two guys wrote the name of the guy at RWS, it’s a totally hinky fix to an engineering or production issue.
    Totally reminds me of the old Ford Econoline van with the twin I beam set up, with front end alignment problem. You could get it right on the rack but as soon as cargo weighed down the van, it was out of whack. Only solution was to have the van loaded and then bend the beams.

BigTinBoat

Jan 12, 2016
    Eastern Baltimore County
    I'm guessing you are just getting into airguns. It is common among "Airsmiths" to bend (break) barrels to compensate for droop.

On a different note, have you shot the gun yet? If not don't get frustrated with it. You will likely have to experiment a bunch with your hold. (Search artillery hold if you haven't)They are very hold sensitive guns. Once you find a hold the gun likes (grip pressure, forehand placement, etc), stick with it. I've also heard they are also pretty loud as far as break barrels go.

Browning Fan

Feb 21, 2024
    Baltimore
    It’s ridiculous for a brand new gun to have to have a barrel bent upward or any direction for that matter do that the iron sites line up mid adjustment point BEFORE the gun is sold.
    Let’s see, $500 for a German gun that has a birch stock and a bent barrel.
    I do not have a printer so Umarex is mailing a shipping label. I’m sending it back.

Browning Fan

Feb 21, 2024
    Baltimore
    Big Tin Boat,
    I understand that you were being optimistic and trying to be helpful and that was kind of you.
    I just do not accept things that are not acceptable.
    I’ll give Umarex the chance to make things right. If they are unwilling, I’ll take the gun back, build a jig, take the barrel off, straighten it in my hydraulic press, take a loss selling it and find a different gun.
    Bent barrel and birch stock. That is what Ide expect from a $75 Chinese Crossman from Walmart not a $500 German gun.

BigTinBoat

Jan 12, 2016
    Eastern Baltimore County
    I'm not trying to be optimistic, just helpful. I'm relaying what I have learned over about the past 12 years in airguns.
    I mean what did you think when you got a mount made specifically to address a known issue with the manufacture? Sounds like not enough research prior to purchase.
    Honestly I think you will be much happier sending it back, and getting something else in it's place. First thing to ask is what you want from an airgun? What are you doing with it? Plinking? Target? Hunting? Field Target? IMHO the RWS 350 is not really a standout in any f these categories.
    BTW- stock is beech, not birch,

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom