• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghenshaw

Jun 16, 2012
    So I inherited several of my dad's guns, including a lovely Winchester model 1892 .25-20 that I haven't dated yet but is probably going on 70. Unfortunately, though, it's been neglected - stored in the basement. It appears to be in generally ok condition but has quite a bit of light rust and light pitting. What's the best way to take care of it? A good cleaning? A trip to the gunsmith? Something more drastic?

ghenshaw

Jun 16, 2012
    OK. Will the local gunsmith do, or do some of them specialize in old guns? I live in Calvert, would welcome a recommendation.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Definitely find one who specializes in old guns. You want restoration, not refinishing.

This. Old parts are not easy to come by. Companies like Jack First Gun Shop try to stock real old gun parts, and if those aren't available they stock some reproductions which will make the gun functional but don't always look right and usually require fitting/finishing. As a gunsmith I can say I love working with old guns (when they work), but when they're missing parts that are impossible to find it turns from an exciting project to a nightmare in a hurry.

Guns from around the turn of the 20th century and older tend to have flat springs or coil springs that did not hold up well over time. Nothing wrong with their initial quality, but advances in materials science and metallurgy have made those old springs obsolete. If one is broken, and needs to be replaced or fabricated, you need someone who has experience doing this. I've made a FEW flat springs and tried reproducting some complicated music wire springs. Unless you know a lot about the materials and how to properly heat treat springs it can be VERY difficult. Trial and error is not the way to do it. :thumbsup:

ghenshaw

Jun 16, 2012
    Don't worry, I have seen far too much equipment ruined by WD40 in my life already. I don't even own a can. ;)

Do I need to pay any special attention to the wood? Will oil damage the finish?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I believe wood preservative or water sealer may help the stock. HOWEVER I am NOT a gunsmith. So do some research on it but I think you'll be alright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom