• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • b00sh

Feb 7, 2013
    I have a receiver I bought back in 2013 and has just been stored in an ammo can. I recently took it out and it has a decent amount of surface rust, and on the middle support. A quick google has shown that people were putting them in boiling water to flush out whatever salt is leftover from the quenching or whatever, then applying something for rust prevention. Is the boiling water step necessary or can I just toss it in some evaporust and then coat it in wd40 until I'm ready to build? I recently finally bought all the pieces to finish it and was disappointed to see it was rusted, and want to do this "correctly" to prevent it rusting further in the future.

Oswaldo87

Feb 1, 2020
    Frederick County
    If it’s in the white, I’d go at it with a wire wheel or coarse steel wool. Clean it with acetone and coat it in oil until it’s time to bend, blue or paint.

b00sh

Feb 7, 2013
    If it’s in the white, I’d go at it with a wire wheel or coarse steel wool. Clean it with acetone and coat it in oil until it’s time to bend, blue or paint.
    It's already bent but not finished. Raw steel. You don't think I should soak it to get the salt out of the center support?

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Never had this quandary personally as all got sandblasted and then parkerized.

I'd definitely boil it if you plan to keep storing it. If you are putting it back in the ammo can after cleanup, just cover it with oil. The can won't care.
    It's already bent but not finished. Raw steel. You don't think I should soak it to get the salt out of the center support?

b00sh

Feb 7, 2013
    Never had this quandary personally as all got sandblasted and then parkerized.

I'd definitely boil it if you plan to keep storing it. If you are putting it back in the ammo can after cleanup, just cover it with oil. The can won't care.
    I was going to clean up the rust then get it coated. I'm planning on getting it built as soon as I can.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Roger that. Thanks for the info.
    The receiver will pinch slightly where the rivets are. This will mar any coating. The rivets should also be coated or they will rust. Both of these issues (and the normal build process) pretty much preclude applying a finish before assembly.

Longhorse

MSI Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2021
    From everything I have seen regarding the Nodak receivers that have this issue, you really do need to boil it to neutralize the salts. Even if you scrub off the surface rust and coat it, if you don't boil the salts out, rust will continue to seep from the center support. It's worth it to boil the receiver prior to building, rather than build the AK, coat the receiver, and then continue to have issues with rust from the center support.

b00sh

Feb 7, 2013
    From everything I have seen regarding the Nodak receivers that have this issue, you really do need to boil it to neutralize the salts. Even if you scrub off the surface rust and coat it, if you don't boil the salts out, rust will continue to seep from the center support. It's worth it to boil the receiver prior to building, rather than build the AK, coat the receiver, and then continue to have issues with rust from the center support.
    I will boil it. Do you think that removing the center support and redoing it is a good idea? The parts kit I bought actually has a center support and rivets included.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I will boil it. Do you think that removing the center support and redoing it is a good idea? The parts kit I bought actually has a center support and rivets included.
    Never been an issue that I have seen. I've been involved in the build of a LOT of akm pattern stuff with an 07/SOT friend and all his posties are built on NDS receivers as far as I know. As previously mentioned, all were blasted and parkerized though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom