• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have a Rugged Radiant 7.62 that works well, esp. for 300 Black subs. I see that Rugged has a Razor 5.56 with claims of 132 dB at the ear. I don't have test equipment, but the tests I have seen for the Radiant on a 5.56 are like 141 dB at the ear, versus the Razor 5.56 131 dB. Do you guys think Razor 5.56 would be worth it? 141 dB at the ear is still pretty good and maybe good enough versus the cost of another can, IDK. That being said, a difference 10 dB is a lot on a logarithmic scale.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    If you are looking for a dedicated 5.56 can and already are invested in Rugged mounts, then I don’t see why not. Rugged is claiming the 5.56 can is significantly quieter and lower back pressure for 5.56 than any of their other suppressor, but I haven’t seen any independent tests. 131 was with a 16” PWS piston gun I think, which is a really good suppressor host. I’d guess gas gun numbers will be more like 135-139.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    very nice ! Started my son young also. It was H&R single shot break . Change barrels,22 , 223 and 410. Then went to Ruger 10/22 then 556 ( Got him a nice 20g youth mossberg) nice start with shotgun . Great start for your son I’m sure he will enjoy. Pretty impressive

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    very nice ! Started my son young also. It was H&R single shot break . Change barrels,22 , 223 and 410. Then went to Ruger 10/22 then 556 ( Got him a nice 20g youth mossberg) nice start with shotgun . Great start for your son I’m sure he will enjoy. Pretty impressive
    Wrong thread I think lol

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    If you are looking for a dedicated 5.56 can and already are invested in Rugged mounts, then I don’t see why not. Rugged is claiming the 5.56 can is significantly quieter and lower back pressure for 5.56 than any of their other suppressor, but I haven’t seen any independent tests. 131 was with a 16” PWS piston gun I think, which is a really good suppressor host. I’d guess gas gun numbers will be more like 135-139.
    Ahh - I did not realize that test was with a piston AR, good catch! Not sure it's worth it then unless I just want to collect cans.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Ahh - I did not realize that test was with a piston AR, good catch! Not sure it's worth it then unless I just want to collect cans.
    It’s a convenience thing for me. I don’t really swap around cans much more than I swap around optics or other accessories. Can lives on the rifle I bought it for. But I don’t blame anyone who isn’t into that. Without going back in time to the great suppressor fire sale of 2017-2018, I don’t think it’s super affordable. Maybe in a few years when form 4 wait times are down to the stated goal of 30 days and there’s a glut of manufacturers putting product out.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It’s a convenience thing for me. I don’t really swap around cans much more than I swap around optics or other accessories. Can lives on the rifle I bought it for. But I don’t blame anyone who isn’t into that. Without going back in time to the great suppressor fire sale of 2017-2018, I don’t think it’s super affordable. Maybe in a few years when form 4 wait times are down to the stated goal of 30 days and there’s a glut of manufacturers putting product out.
    Honestly some of it too is inflation. As much as it sucks, fixed price things get cheaper over time. A tax stamp in the 1930s was what, the equivalent of $4000 today? In another couple or a few years, that $200 tax stamp today is going to be more like a $150 or $100 in right now today's dollars. Shorter wait times, plus eroding purchase power cost of that tax stamp probably does mean in 3-4 years silencers may well be cheaper with a lot more supply, even if demand has also gone up a lot. Some of that is economies of scale more, not just possibly more manufacturers in the market. I wouldn't expect prices to plummet (again, inflation), but in 3 or 4 years, that $800 silencer today that is $1040 with tax and stamp and a year wait, might be more like $900 something with a sale or deal, but you can have it in 2-3 months AND its really more like you were paying $600 something because of inflation.

I am trying to silver lining this one and hope that proves out. I do know I am DONE buying cans for a couple of years. My Obsidian 45 will hopefully get out of NFA jail in the next 2-3 months (FINALLY! Been 11 months now). That gives me a can to cover all of my needs. If I only have to wait 2-3 months and I can find some good deals, I'll probably pickup some more. Like I kind of want another rimfire can so one can live on my 10/22 and one to live on my buckmark. So I might pickup something "cheap" like a Warlock or a Hydra (I have an Element 2 right now). And I might pickup a dedicated 5.56 can at some point. I am seriously eyeing up that new Harvester EVO (I have an Omega 300). A little lighter, very slightly smaller and it may have slightly better suppression than the Omega 300 (I haven't seen a real head-to-head test) might be a good option to be a dedicated can for my Howa mini 6.5 for deer hunting. Not that my Omega 300 isn't great on it, but if I can shave 2oz, a tiny bit of length AND if it is actually quieter...yes mam.

Though at $700 + tax and trust AND a year wait? No. In a small number of years if it is still $700 and a 3 month wait, or even if I can grab a sale and get it $600 out the door plus a 3 month wait, that would be seriously tempting.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I don't put much stake in the dB numbers, there are a ton of factors that influence how loud the can actually appears to be at the muzzle and ear. The host is a huge variable, AR's gas system is loud, especially with fixed gas block and a heavy buffer to slow it down for a can compared to a bolt action or even piston or tuneable gas. Often times when someone with good test equipment compares cans there is little difference at the ear with an AR15 between long and short cans, 5.56 and 30 cal. Sometimes the shorter cans and larger bore cut backpressure/port pop and reduce dB at the ear, but might be louder at the muzzle. Not that noticeable outdoors, but might be a big difference indoors or under a roof outdoors where the muzzle report can reflect back to the shooter. IMO I place greater importance in backpressure and overall size/ weight than dB numbers. All the top manufacturers are pretty good at turning can volume into suppression, hard to fudge weight or length as anyone can measure them, but easy to fudge dB depending on host and test equipment.

Even "low backpressure" is more advertisement than data in most cans, unless pewscience has tested it hard to really compare the actual success of their backpressure spec. Some of it is also what you shoot, and what you have, might make sense to pick up a dedicated 5.56 can if you want decent suppression and shorter length with rifles that can be tuned for gas, especially with some of the really good and tiny K cans out now. Still, IMO the Razor will probably sound similar to the Radiant in long config, but be sized in-between the K and full radiant configurations. might be cool if you have a lot of 5.56 hosts and would like another can if you take a few rifles shooting, but IMO not worth it if you like the performance of the Radiant.

Last edited:

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Still, IMO the Razor will probably sound similar to the Radiant in long config, but be sized in-between the K and full radiant configurations. might be cool if you have a lot of 5.56 hosts and would like another can if you take a few rifles shooting, but IMO not worth it if you like the performance of the Radiant.

I have, well, several other 5.56 hosts (i.e. that have a Rugged suppressor or brake). Those that don't have an adjustable gas block will be getting a "tuned" gas tube. I got a BRT EZ Tune that is extremely effective. So yeah, maybe. The Razor 5.56 is only $600 and although an ounce heavier it is an inch shorter than the Radiant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom