• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    That's nice ... I never got the M1A Socom that I wanted before they were banned. This might make a fine weapon in that style.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    That's nice ... I never got the M1A Socom that I wanted before they were banned. This might make a fine weapon in that style.
    I've debated back and forth on getting a POF 308 just because they are so lightweight. Reports of poor accuracy and reliability issues have held me back. Ruger typically builds a a pretty solid firearm and they stand behind them so I'd love to give one a try. The 16" model would make a handy little deer or hog rifle.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I just had to weigh my hog gun to see if it’d be worth it. Maybe a pound and a half could be saved but I have hundreds of 6.5 rounds so until they offer that option I’m definitely out and even then not sure the juice is worth the squeeze. Now for someone buying their first AR 10 it’d be hard to pass on.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Will they be available in MD? Processed like a hunting rifle?
    Its a 308 so shouldn't be a problem. Price on gunbroker is $1k-1300 depending on dealer from what I've seen. Have yet to see one in person but that puts it priced below most of the market. If it's typical Ruger quality that's a hell of a deal.

Last edited:

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Its a 308 so shouldn't be a problem. Price on gunbroker is $1k-1300 depending on dealer from what I've seen. Have yet to see one in person but that puts it priced below most of the market. If it's typical Ruger quality that's a hell of a deal.
    It’s a well built gun and legitimately fun to shoot. If I didn’t live in CT, I would buy one of the 16” guns. Suppressed only makes it better. They’ve been shipping since before the public announcement, so they’re out there, but availability should get better in the near term.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    It’s a well built gun and legitimately fun to shoot. If I didn’t live in CT, I would buy one of the 16” guns. Suppressed only makes it better. They’ve been shipping since before the public announcement, so they’re out there, but availability should get better in the near term.
    Nate! You still check in here?

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    I always wish Ruger well; and / but, I scratched the 308 AR itch w the DPMS G-II MOE … schuhweeeeeet!

oh yeah, and chrome-lined!

Attachments

• 44321D6B-4140-4117-ACD5-B8905EAD87AF.png
      44321D6B-4140-4117-ACD5-B8905EAD87AF.png
      4.7 KB · Views: 67

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I think the SFAR is really cool, and from the videos I saw on Youtube, it's fairly accurate using decent ammo, PPU M80 7.62x51 in the video. I like the lighter platform, but I would think it would amp up the recoil, and since the BCG and boltface appear to be standard AR size, I am curious to their durability shooting .308. I want one, but maybe after they've been out a while, and proven.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Much to my surprise hafers in WV had one sitting on the rack today. Balances really well feels just like an ar15. Factory trigger feels similar to a geiselle ssa not quite as crisp or light as a ssae. That may improve with use. I have topped it with a Bushnell nitro 2.5-10x ffp I had laying around for now. As soon as this weather clears out I will put some rounds through it and get some initial accuracy testing done.

Attachments

• 20221001_132714.jpg
      20221001_132714.jpg
      164.9 KB · Views: 80

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Much to my surprise hafers in WV had one sitting on the rack today. Balances really well feels just like an ar15. Factory trigger feels similar to a geiselle ssa not quite as crisp or light as a ssae. That may improve with use. I have topped it with a Bushnell nitro 2.5-10x ffp I had laying around for now. As soon as this weather clears out I will put some rounds through it and get some initial accuracy testing done.
    You bought it? If so, keep us informed on how you like it. How does the recoil compare in the smaller frame? Accuracy, etc. Do they have others there? Thx

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    You bought it? If so, keep us informed on how you like it. How does the recoil compare in the smaller frame? Accuracy, etc. Do they have others there? Thx

Yes sorry didn't include foot pics. It's pouring here or I'd be out back shooting it. This was the only one there but the salesman said they sold one last week so would seem ruger is getting them out.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    We got a very brief stoppage in the rain just enough for me to run a mag through it off the deck @ 50yds. Ruger recommends leaving the gas setting on 3 for break in and it seemed a bit overgassed with 168gr bthp handloads on that setting. Spent rounds were ejected into a nice little pile at the 4 o'clock position roughly 12 ft away. Recoil impulse was not bad at all kinda reminded me of a 6.8spc or 6.5 Grendel. Certainly didn't feel like my other ar10s probably due to the shorter and lighter bcg and the muzzle brake. I plan to put a few hundred rnds through it tomorrow if the weather clears out with a variety of handloads and will update on how it does.

Sirex