• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I had my eye on the Ruger Mark iv until I saw the FN502. Now I am not sure. I also really like the S&W Victory Performance center but at about $1000 I have to pass. The Ruger feels the best in my hand. Feels like a 1911. The FN502 has a very aggressive textured grip. Maybe to aggressive.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    So again you're lumping the P322 with other irrelevant guns (Mosquito, conversion kits).
    I agree with you completely. The P322 and TX-22 are in a class of their own. They're not perfect, but they are leaps and bounds better than what came before them in terms of "tactical 22s", with maybe an exception for the Beretta 71. I really look forward to seeing what Sig can do with the P322 platform in the future; what Taurus did with the TX-22 was pretty fantastic.

That said, do let me give a shout-out to 1911 conversion kits. If you're willing to throw a bunch of money at a GSG conversion, you can probably make it run acceptably if there are no averse 1911 frame interactions. Glock conversions on the other hand... never seen one run to the point I'd need it to. Ironically, those 1911 conversions would probably work a lot better on 9mm 1911 frames if they were compatible, because you could drop the hammer spring down to 15lbs without sacrificing much reliability.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Funny to read how great they are. Next sentence is once you replace the trigger it's as good as a Buckmark.

Out of the box the Buckmark is a better pistol. It really just needs a Volquartsen extractor. You can put money into a ruger and make it better. You can keep throwing money at both of them for that matter.

The new mkiv is easier to take apart and is quiter supressed,, also more aftermarket parts. But Any barrel upgrade requires an FFL. That drove me nuts.

The other negative of course is that Browning is one of the dumbest companies ever.

The only mk iv I want is a Black Mamba.

The mk iv is a great pistol and you will enjoy it. I think that it is kind of like an AR or 10/22. It is easy to modify with aftermarket parts.. That definitely adds to it's appeal

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    The only problem I have with my Mark IV is that I can't get it out of my wife's hands when we go to the range. That and supplying her with ammo, she will go though 3-400 rounds every trip. I tried to get her to take a liking to my LCP 22 , but she would have no part of it.
    I need to start going to the range myself or buy another one.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    To throw other considerations in the discussion. There is the MkIV 22/45 and the MkIV standard grip. Of course, the 22/45 is patterned with the 1911 grip in mind. It is close but just enough different. The mags of both are the same, only the floor plate is different. I had a 22/45 MkIV a couple years back, put the Volquartson big kit in it. It was worth the extra $125. Good gun. Still wasn’t quite the 1911 it tried to emulate. It all comes down to which grip style works best for you.

End result, sold it, stuck with my Ceiner 1911 conversion. Used the proceeds of the MkIV to buy a Marvel 1911 conversion, a sight set and 5 mags.

FWIW, don’t let capacity be too big a factor. I have had my MKII Ruger since 1982. Bought it new. I can’t guess how many rounds are through that pistol. Still shoots lights out.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I don't understand how someone here would not own a Ruger .22 pistol.

There are probably 100 Ruger's out there one of for any other models. They're the most reliable rimfire guns, extremely modifiable, and they're pretty cheap, too.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD

There are probably 100 Ruger's out there one of for any other models. They're the most reliable rimfire guns, extremely modifiable, and they're pretty cheap, too.
    Edit. I have a 41 year old Ruger mark I, and a mark IV 22/45. The older one might have 75,000 rounds threw it, and is as good as the day it was made.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I agree with you completely. The P322 and TX-22 are in a class of their own. They're not perfect, but they are leaps and bounds better than what came before them in terms of "tactical 22s", with maybe an exception for the Beretta 71. I really look forward to seeing what Sig can do with the P322 platform in the future; what Taurus did with the TX-22 was pretty fantastic.

That said, do let me give a shout-out to 1911 conversion kits. If you're willing to throw a bunch of money at a GSG conversion, you can probably make it run acceptably if there are no averse 1911 frame interactions. Glock conversions on the other hand... never seen one run to the point I'd need it to. Ironically, those 1911 conversions would probably work a lot better on 9mm 1911 frames if they were compatible, because you could drop the hammer spring down to 15lbs without sacrificing much reliability.

I never tried the Glock conversion uppers, since they're pricey and use magazines that are unique and might be hard to find.

I did pick up the Glock 44 after it had been out awhile. It's been very reliable. Of course, being a stock Glock, the trigger could use some polishing.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    For target shooting and fun, you can't beat the Ruger or Buckmarks, etc...

However, if you are looking to train your defensive handgun on the cheap, you can't beat the Taurus, Sig, or Glock 22's for compatibility. The classic .22 pistols can't do that.
    You need both :)

Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    I can’t think of a better weapon to survive the coming zombie apocalypse with then a suppressed Ruger Mark IV or 10/22.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

They are not that cheap any more. My MK4 lite was $400 when it came out 2 or 3 years ago, now, you can't get the bare basic model for that, and being in short supply most MK4s are at MSRP. On shelves the Lite is regularly $600. I had a MK2 target and didn't like it, sold it off, was accurate, but hate the standard grip frame and field stripping was stupid. Have some other 22 handguns that do one thing or another well, but IMO for shooting targets or rimfire competition, especially suppressed the MK4 lite is my favorite.

Attachments

• 20230210_132654.jpg
      20230210_132654.jpg
      375.6 KB · Views: 69

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Absolutely, they are not cheap. You only need one and spend the rest on 9 mm pistols.

SavedbytheGraceofGod

MDS Supporter
    Nov 10, 2022
    Central Maryland
    View attachment 401036
    Love my MkIV. To me, the SS Target is the best way to go.
    Just purchased this same model, did a quick clean/lube and off to the range, but it kept stovepiping (FTE). Did you have this issue? I've spent hours researching and it looks like I need to "tune" my mags.

People can say what they want about Glocks, but I've never had any trouble out of my 3 Glocks!

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Just purchased this same model, did a quick clean/lube and off to the range, but it kept stovepiping (FTE). Did you have this issue? I've spent hours researching and it looks like I need to "tune" my mags.

People can say what they want about Glocks, but I've never had any trouble out of my 3 Glocks!
    Likely ammo related. You shouldn't be having that problem.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville

I have had a couple, but who hasn't with a 22lr. That said, I threw in an upgraded extractor (https://volquartsen.com/inventory_configurations/811) and firing pin (https://volquartsen.com/inventory_configurations/766). I also primarily run CCI high velocity.

9/10 times your issues are going to be ammo related. It's a semi auto 22, so ammo choice matters a lot. I've got literal buckets of Remington Thunderbolt which is constantly malfunctioning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom