• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies

Who has one in .38 or 9mm that can comment on how they are to shoot given their extremely light weight? I need to find a range with one to rent so she could try it.

Proceed with deliberation - as already mentioned, UNLESS she “likes” recoil (“spider web palms”) due to their incredibly light mass, all the LCR’s but the 22 recoil, um, significantly.

Basing that on the 4 we own, shoot and wifey carries …

(I have zero experience with any 327 other than a neighbor who has one and always has difficulty finding ammo for it)

I can think of over a dozen women who would swear to never pick another gun up, were they to fire even 148 wadcutter target loads out of an lcr as their first shots …

As mentioned upthread, BEST CASE SCENARIO would be to get any loved one a centerfire LCR for carry (and very infrequent live fire) and a rimfire LCR for proficiency, etc.

All the forgoing notwithstanding, I happened to notice last night that CDNN has several iterations in stock …

Ruger LCR’s 22, 38 and 9 (think I already cautioned we are NOT impressed at all with our 9mm lcr): https://www.cdnnsports.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=lcr

Ruger LCRx 357: https://www.cdnnsports.com/rugerr-lcrxtm-357mag.html

Best o’ success in your venture!

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I think a lot of her issue was the snub nose I had access to had those original highly polish S&W wood grips. Little checkering. I'm going to try to convince her to try it again with a rubber grip on it.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I think a lot of her issue was the snub nose I had access to had those original highly polish S&W wood grips. Little checkering. I'm going to try to convince her to try it again with a rubber grip on it.
    The rubber grip, Pachmyer, I have on my JFrame 38 changes its chatacter significantly in the positive direction. But it does add bulk and the heavy recoiling nature is still there.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    LOW STOCK WARNING : There is only 1 available as of 9/28/2022 5:40:16 AM MST.

Ruger LCR Revolver .22 Mag, 1.875", Hogue Grip​

Attachments

• E252371D-59D7-42A7-AC34-05CD94309E68.jpeg
      E252371D-59D7-42A7-AC34-05CD94309E68.jpeg
      47.6 KB · Views: 51

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Any updates? Is she planning to carry on her body or in a purse or something.

After three holsters, I've kinda given up on carrying my LCR any way other than how we started out together...naked shoved in a pocket (the LCR being naked...obviously. Not me, because I don't open carry). I just can't seem to get it to ride IWB nicely, and even the pocket holster I have is inconvenient at best. It is hard to justify trying more holsters when my P365 does ride so nicely with a holster I already have...also 12+1 vs. 5.

Ranger Tom

Jan 28, 2013
    Woodsboro MD
    Frankly, it's probably too light. My wife has one and does not like it. She has the .357 model but only shoots .38 out of it. The thought was that the extra weight of the heavier .357 model would help with the recoil, but it isn't enough. Probably should have gone with an SP101 or equivalent S&W.

I bought some reduced recoil .38 for lightweight revolvers for her to try, but she hasn't been to the range since I bought that.
    My wife has one, shoots +Ps, and loves it. Frame is a bit small for my hands.

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    Carry mine every day and have no complaints...and that's with a simple and cheap Houston clip-on IWB in basketball shorts or sweatpants.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County

Depending on what S&W you are talking about, Hogue has a specific model for the Centennial frame like the 442/642 that covers the backstrap, has a gel insert and goes up higher on the frame. It’s a little longer than the standard Hogue rubber boot grip. I have a couple Airweights and got this grip to try soon.

https://www.hogueinc.com/grips/grips-for-smith-wesson/j-frame-revolvers/round-butt/centennial

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    Being a Ruger Fan Boy and already a SP101 owner I gave the LCR a good look.

But I picked up a SW BodyGuard 38 Special.

Hogue grips on the way. I'll report back after range day.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Since we are on the topic of snub nose revolver, how often do you shoot it at the range? Once in a while I take it to the range and shoot about 10 rounds just to reinforce my muscle memory. The problem with snub nose is that you don't need to practice a lot due to it being "up close and personal", unlike pistol where you want to push your skill up to 25 yards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom