• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    I finally got my hands on one. Been wanting to see and probably buy one since seeing Hickok45's youtube video on it. So there I was, drooling over another Ruger. It looked great behind the glass. Once in my hands...Something just did not look/feel right. I own several Ruger D/A revolvers, Security Six, SP-101, GP-100. This gun I do not like saying, did not have the quality feeling of my other Rugers. Large gaps between crane and frame when locked up, loosen felt with crane swung out. Parts did not have that tight fit I am use to. Rough machining marks inside the topstrap and face of frame. It is a trim gun for a 6 shot .357, much lighter than my GP, maybe even lighter than my 4" Security Six. My wallet stayed in my pocket on this one. I need to see another to see if this was a fluke or if that is the way they are being produced. Kind of disappointed.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    I finally got my hands on one. Been wanting to see and probably buy one since seeing Hickok45's youtube video on it. So there I was, drooling over another Ruger. It looked great behind the glass. Once in my hands...Something just did not look/feel right. I own several Ruger D/A revolvers, Security Six, SP-101, GP-100. This gun I do not like saying, did not have the quality feeling of my other Rugers. Large gaps between crane and frame when locked up, loosen felt with crane swung out. Parts did not have that tight fit I am use to. Rough machining marks inside the topstrap and face of frame. It is a trim gun for a 6 shot .357, much lighter than my GP, maybe even lighter than my 4" Security Six. My wallet stayed in my pocket on this one. I need to see another to see if this was a fluke or if that is the way they are being produced. Kind of disappointed.

Not sure where you live but, there's one of these at Hendershots in Hagerstown if you're interested. I fingered it but didn't look at it seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    I really need to make a visit to Hendershots. One of my coworkers continously brags about the place. Long drive but might be worth it.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Good looking gun though. They have one at A&D that I fondled and although I'm not a "revolver guy", it felt different.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I hate hearing this. I hope it is just one that snuck past QC.

Their quality is spotty judging by ones I've eyeballed, as if they are rushed out the door. The grip is not comfortable to me and the grip's fit to the frame tends to be terrible. GP100 is noticeably better in every way. The Match trigger also seems worse to me than the average GP100 trigger. And the front sight is dovetailed into place, so replacements are far fewer and a royal pain to swap out compared to 4" through 6" GP100.

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    Anyone else have any more experience with one of these?

Is there a way to improve the trigger? I understand there is some sort of "shim replacement" that improves the trigger.

Is there a LGS carrying these at a reasonable price?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Anyone else have any more experience with one of these?

Is there a way to improve the trigger? I understand there is some sort of "shim replacement" that improves the trigger.

Is there a LGS carrying these at a reasonable price?

Why bother with it over a standard GP100? For the money saved on the standard model, you can have a gunsmith give it an action job that will be a lot nicer than the stock Match Champion trigger. Also don't underestimate how nice it is to swap front sights in seconds with the standard model.

I've made two changes to my 4" GP100. I changed over to Meprolight night sights (front and rear) and replaced the Hogue grip with Ruger's new GP100 compact grip. I love how the compact grip looks and handles compared to stock.

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    My buddy's gp100 NM is very crisp. But he paid close to retail amount for it. With revolvers, from what I read on other forums, you have to examine it yourself for proper fitment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom