• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Shot the GP 100 Saturday morning. No issues.

Cleaned it Sunday afternoon. Now the cylinder/crane will not 'snap' back into place.

I can force it, but it does not lock up as normal. I did, obviously, touch the crane/cylinder/ejector as I was cleaning it.

I think, I've moved a spring or detent. I know this is not hammer time.

Any quick ideas before I take it to a gunsmith?

Thanks.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I think, I've moved a spring or detent. I know this is not hammer time.

I recall removing and replacing a couple of springs in the crane when I took mine apart to check it out (bought it in very good used condition).

I don't remember if they were symmetrical. Any chance one is in the wrong orientation?

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    I recall removing and replacing a couple of springs in the crane when I took mine apart to check it out (bought it in very good used condition).

I don't remember if they were symmetrical. Any chance one is in the wrong orientation?
    I did not take it apart, just cleaned it.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I had a Taurus revolver that did this, turns out the ejector rod was loose and backing out. A couple turns and some loctite never happened again.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    GP-100 doesn’t use a threaded ejector rod. It is slotted to allow operation of the crane lock.

Push the ejector rod back and look for debris, a brush bristle, etc. under the ejector rachet. Look both on cylinder and sticking on the bottom of the ejector ratchet. Look in the space the cylinder locking latch is in. Something may be binding it. Look inside the ejector rod slot. Look inside the ejector rod slot in the barrel.

Also, verify the cylinder release buttom is not stuck down.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    GP-100 doesn’t use a threaded ejector rod. It is slotted to allow operation of the crane lock.

Push the ejector rod back and look for debris, a brush bristle, etc. under the ejector rachet. Look both on cylinder and sticking on the bottom of the ejector ratchet. Look in the space the cylinder locking latch is in. Something may be binding it. Look inside the ejector rod slot. Look inside the ejector rod slot in the barrel.

Also, verify the cylinder release buttom is not stuck down.

I think this is it. The ejector rod and star look good. The cylinder release does not move.
    Remember that I did not disassemble anything.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    I just opened the cylinder on my GP100. The cylinder latch will not move with the cylinder open. Also the release pin in the recoil shield is flush with the face of the shield. Hope this helps.

Troublesbrewin

Handgunner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 17, 2013
    Ellicott City
    If I remember correctly the hammer must be fully down for my Security Six to close properly. My mistake, you can’t move the hammer when the crane is open, on the Security Six. Most of my Rugers are single action.

Last edited:

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I think this is it. The ejector rod and star look good. The cylinder release does not move.
    Remember that I did not disassemble anything.

Can you push the small pin in center of the ejector star in with your fingernail? It should go in easily.

That pin locks the cylinder at the rear, and when you press it, it also retracts the catch that locks the front of the crane.

You should see the metal catch on the front of the crane retract when you push it in, and if you look at the slot in the ejector rod you should be able to see it pushing forward on the tail end of that catch. If there is any debris in that slot it may make it difficult to move.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom