• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Hi all,

Picking up my first rifle today. Looking for suggestions on ammunition. .223 or 5.56, what grain? Brands?
    That will shoot essentially anything in .223/5.56.

Since you're in completely newbie mode, it really won't matter. Maybe stay away from the really cheap steel case stuff, and avoid buying "green tip" or other ammo that has a steel core, as many ranges won't let you use it. You definitely don't need to spend "match grade" kind of money when you're just getting started and learning the rifle. What you DO need, though, is to make sure you've done a very quick field strip/clean and lubed things up well before you get started.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    IMPORTANT: Check the stamp on your barrel, and your owner’s manual for what round is safe to shoot in your rifle. IIRC, .223 Rem is safe for a gun stamped 5.56, but 5.56 isn’t safe to shoot from a .223 Rem stamped barrel. If you’re stamped “.223 Wylde” you should be good to go with either/or. But once again, consult your owners manual, very important.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    IMPORTANT: Check the stamp on your barrel, and your owner’s manual for what round is safe to shoot in your rifle. IIRC, .223 Rem is safe for a gun stamped 5.56, but 5.56 isn’t safe to shoot from a .223 Rem stamped barrel. If you’re stamped “.223 Wylde” you should be good to go with either/or. But once again, consult your owners manual, very important.

Unless the gun is chambered in 350 Legend, 300 Blackout, or 450 Bushmaster, his gun can shoot 5.56 and 223 Rem.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I just looked and my Ruger AR556 is stamped “5.56 NATO”, assuming yours is as well, you can shoot either .223 Rem or 5.56 NATO. I shoot both in mine, but just to be safe check YOUR manual, mine is about 6-7 years old, things may have changed.

For punching paper, range steel, and drills, 55 grain FMJ should be all you need, and I second Occam’s response above.

Good luck with your Ruger, I like mine plenty.

TwinTurbskis

professional amateur
    Jun 9, 2020
    Derwood, MD
    For range plinking, can't go wrong with 55gr PMC. PMC bronze for 223, or the PMC xtac for a 5.56 loading. Like others said, don't buy M855 green tip unless you know your range will allow it.

I've also had good results with Prvi Partisan rangemaster 5.56 for plinking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom