• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • donliv

Oct 25, 2008
    Bel Air
    Any feedback on these rifles? An IP has 2 on consignment that caught my eye: a Ranch version in 300blk and a 22" barrel version w/ scope in .308 for $350. I've been looking into a .308 rifle to mess around with on the 200 and 300 range at SLCFSA now that they hung steel gongs. Not a hunter, not really planning on getting into any accuracy contests....just looking for something reasonably accurate and fun to shoot.

Any comments?

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    the older Ruger American 308 had feed issues with magazines. They are decent and light for 308
    You can get conversions to standard mags. Mine feeds fine.

OP, my rifle in .308 shoots about 1.5 moa, and would fit your criteria just fine. It's plenty fun.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I have one in 243 and one in 308.
    I load for both rifles. I havent found one load I wouldnt hunt with.
    The 243 has killed a bunch of deer. I like it so much the 308 stays home

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Bought the Ruger American Predator in 6mm Creedmore. Wanted to mess around with the cartridge a while before sinking big $$ into a more capable long range precision rig. This shot decently, but the stock is absolute garbage, way too flexible and unstable. I swapped it out for a Boyd’s AT One thumbhole laminated stock in green zombie style with zombie skull inlaid graphics on the cheekrest and forearm (ok, dorky I get it). I now really like shooting this rifle, I plan to play around with it more this summer to get it ready for fall hunting.

The Ruger Americans have this same reputation, affordable, decent to good accuracy, and as someone mentioned above some feeding problems when using the factory magazines. I haven’t had any feed issues yet, but I did put together a bunch of different ammo types and loads to test out this summer, so I may end up with issues after all.

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    i have the 300 blackout. i got it as another rifle to shoot suppressed. the action is not the smoothest, but its fun to shoot subs. plus it uses stanag mags. $350 is a deceit price. i have no experience with the 308. i say buy both

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have a RAR Predator in 6.5 Grendel and a Ranch in 7.62x39. I would say get the Ranch in 300 Black and put either a 2-7X scope or a 3X prism scope on it. The Ranch has a heavier profile threaded barrel on it. Also, I strongly suggest a Timney trigger; they are about $150 and well worth it.

Depending on the scope, the 308 may be worth it. I guess it depends on what you want. Maybe buy both.
    [EDIT] Just saw the 308 in the IP's thread. That's a good deal with a Vortex scope but the barrel is not threaded, which would be a NO GO for me.

Last edited:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Thanks for the input, guys. Looks like I made need to make time for a trip to Rockville.
    Make sure you call the IP to see if its still there. IF its the Ruger American 308 I had up at United on consignment, I think its gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom