• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oddway Otts

Mar 17, 2008
    Harford County
    Thanks for all of the information and experiences. At the time, I wasn't aware of Ruger's warranty that several have mentioned. Too late now. So, It looks like I'm gonna be cruising the local Maryland & Pa shows. I think I'll pass on 10/22s..it seems like their best when upgraded. As a fumble finger, I'd rather pay a bit more and have something that doesn't need upgrades, except maybe sights. :rolleyes:

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    They have been…ok. The lightweight stock is kinda flimsy (torques the barrel with a sling, sometimes breaks at the built in studs), the aperture sights are no better than the TCR, and Ruger mag compatibility isn’t as good as TCR either. I don’t have one, but I don’t think I will buy one either.
    I guess we are back at "you get what you pay for". While the 10/22's seem to me to still be a solid rifle, they have (as I mentioned previously) gone up in price faster than the rate of inflation. Maybe that's more of a function of the lack of good semi-auto 22LR's out there.

Last edited:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    10/22s are like Jeeps. Stock they can be Meh, but dress them up and people see them like their child.

I have one, son has one. Son put a light trigger group and scope on. Accuracy was ok. Mine I put a threaded target barrel on it and its tight as a tick. But you know, the Savage bolt with bull barrel was just as accurate and cheaper. But the 10/22 is semi auto. I plan to return it to its original state this winter for the next year.

I have a Remlin 795 set up with tech sights and its really good for what it is and what it cost. It like the XT22 had canted front sights. Fixed by scope or tech sights.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Almost went with a 10/22 but elected to grab a Marlin 795 a few years back. Very happy with the decision. Did a little work to the trigger to smooth it out, resulting in 1/2" groups @ 50 yards.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    BX15s and 25s are pretty much all I run in mine, no issues. I have had to smooth the edge of the chamber on a couple, a sharp edge can catch the bullet and jam up. My most recent 10/22 an 8" charger with side folder ran 100% out of the box, but does choke a little faster from lack of lube than my older 10/22s, a couple drops of oil, rack the bolt to break up the dirt, and back up and running. Probably just because it's kinda new and probably within it's first couple bricks of ammo.
    My guess it is fun specific, not about the magazines themselves. I mean, I suspect it IS also about the design of the magazines, but it relates more to a specific 10/22 either will or will not run BX15 and 25. My friend's 10/22 runs all of the 15s and 25s just fine and just as reliably as his 10s. I have another friend who swears all of them are junk because his 10/22 never ran the couple of 25s he has reliably.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    My guess it is fun specific, not about the magazines themselves. I mean, I suspect it IS also about the design of the magazines, but it relates more to a specific 10/22 either will or will not run BX15 and 25. My friend's 10/22 runs all of the 15s and 25s just fine and just as reliably as his 10s. I have another friend who swears all of them are junk because his 10/22 never ran the couple of 25s he has reliably.
    Mine have run well out of the box. When I added the keystone threaded barrel to my carbine, I had to just break the edge of the chamber and polish it a bit to run 100%. Can't recall the charger (stock with polished BX trigger) ever jamming at all. Out of all the 10/22s I've owned, built or fixed 90% of them had 1 of 3 problems, crappy ammo, no oil or a sharp edge around the chamber. Fix them and unless something like a pin or extractor is worn or broken, it will run. I run just about all of my 22s suppressed, so they get dirty fast, and for me if they stop running, just a couple drops of oil, and they are up again.

There is another option, probably second only to the 10/22 for the ability to customize it, CMMG pattern AR22s. With decent mags they run reliably, and there are a few choices in barrels, with CMMG and Right to bear being the primary sources. You can build an upper and use with any AR15 lower, or build a complete rifle. My 2 started out as spare parts from past builds, and a poly 80 lower, bought the barrel/BCG/,mag combo from RTB, and built them up. They don't need a buffer, so you can use pretty much any folding adapter or a 1913 end plate and run a Sig style stock/brace. My little 4.5" folder is probably my favorite 22 to date, with a 5" long can it tucks under the skinny 7" handguard, AR15 controls and stupid fun. There are a couple inherent issues, but easily solvable. First is like a LOT of 22s, the chamber can have a sharp edge that cuts into bullets and jams, there is a little gap between the feed ramp collar and chamber that makes this worse, but deburring and polishing fixes that. Being the bolt moves, and there is no need for a gas tube, brass can get jammed up in the spot under the charging handle, they make charging handles with a filler piece that prevents it, but just adding most anything to fill a charging handle channel solves it too.
    20220920_113937.jpg

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I've spent plenty of time working on and with BX-25s, and it's absolutely the magazine. I'm not sure if it's the tolerances, the follower/bushing design, or bullet profile, but the magazine will sometimes feed the bullets too low, where they jam against the front of the feed lip assembly and then don't feed. My gut feeling is that the follower doesn't have a high enough angle to guarantee the right feed angle, and that this is compounded by the way the spring and bushing interact. I'm skeptical that it's anything to do with the rifle; I'm using Kidd trigger packs with the upgraded/stronger magazine retention.

I've never seen an AR conversion work well enough for match use, and, again, I've personally owned a few of them. My definition of "good enough" is 99-100% reliable function. 10/22s can easily do that, but not with BX-25s in my experience.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I've spent plenty of time working on and with BX-25s, and it's absolutely the magazine. I'm not sure if it's the tolerances, the follower/bushing design, or bullet profile, but the magazine will sometimes feed the bullets too low, where they jam against the front of the feed lip assembly and then don't feed. My gut feeling is that the follower doesn't have a high enough angle to guarantee the right feed angle, and that this is compounded by the way the spring and bushing interact. I'm skeptical that it's anything to do with the rifle; I'm using Kidd trigger packs with the upgraded/stronger magazine retention.

I've never seen an AR conversion work well enough for match use, and, again, I've personally owned a few of them. My definition of "good enough" is 99-100% reliable function. 10/22s can easily do that, but not with BX-25s in my experience.
    I'll chalk myself up as lucky then. The few hundred rounds I've put through my 3, I think I had one stove pipe, and that wasn't related to the magazine at all. So 100% in maybe 400-600 rounds in regard to magazine reliability.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The only high-cap rifles that seem to "reliably function reliably" are the M&P 15-22 and the Tippmann Arms guns. YMMV, etc.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Couldn't pay me to own a 10/22, Remington, or Marlin equivalent.

I prefer the S&W 15-22. It's easier to change parts and maintain. Hicaps run very reliably too.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

The BX mags are not reliable in my experience either.

group shooter

Nov 14, 2021
    Glen Burnie
    I have a Kidd super grade it shoots everything well but loves the Eley Benchrest semi auto . I have taken stock rifles and installed Kidd barrels and trigger groups they function and shoot so much better. Kidd makes a lot of upgraded parts for the 10/22 .The platform has a lot of potential a few upgrades makes it so much better

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Best Products in RV sold rifles? hahaha. My parents live in Twinbrook and I grew up there. I used to hit that store, W Bell where Guitar Center is now and down by White Flint at Evans Jewelers. Near Lionell Kiddy City.

Sad.... And GD Graffittis, Mothers Pizza, sigh. Thanks brother, now I am depressed. :P and chesapeake bay seafood house all you can eat. Yes I cooked at that Rustler Steak House in Twinbrook.
    My first gun I ever bought was from Best in Towson. My Remington BDL Speed Master. This gun is as beautiful as it has been reliable. Fleur De Lis checkered stock, beautiful lines, just like the BDL bolt action 700's.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    After two bad ones in a row ( older used & then new ) , IF I eventuallydecide to revisit the 10/22 platform , I'll just for already completely built , by KIDD or equivalent .

More realistically in semi- forseeable future , if I get another .22lr semi , I'm curious about the Win Wildcat .

Jul 20, 2022
    Hereford, MD
    Yes! It is an excellent stock.

I love my Ruger 10/22! Put in some Kidd upgraded parts and it is a dream to shoot. Eats everything and never a fail. Been debating on a barrel upgrade and new stock. Ruger makes a nice bull barrel and I really like the Magpul X22 hunter stock. Should I go fo

I love my Ruger 10/22! Put in some Kidd upgraded parts and it is a dream to shoot. Eats everything and never a fail. Been debating on a barrel upgrade and new stock. Ruger makes a nice bull barrel and I really like the Magpul X22 hunter stock. Should I go for it?

jskello

Oct 23, 2016
    Bowie MD
    Most of my adult live, I thought I needed a 10/22. Everybody had them! I got one on a nice deal. I took it to the range and thought 'Meh'. "Oh, but they are so customizable!' they said. Now why in the hell would I-should I dump hundreds of dollars into customizing a much ballyhooed gun? A .22, no less. I sold it and moved on.
    I feel you on that. I just wanted it as a staple in my collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom