• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PKendall10

Oct 29, 2012
    Laurel/College Park
    I'm in the market for one of these simply for plinking, and the quality of the hardwood stocks have been really disappointing.

If any owners could weigh in, that'd be great as I hope my bad experience is an anomaly.

Thanks

Demoneyes86

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2011
    Baltimore
    Great gun. To bad you didnt get one this past weekend dicks had them for $179. My stock is perfectly fine. I am worling on a spare one trying out my hand at staining.

PKendall10

Oct 29, 2012
    Laurel/College Park
    Its funny you say that because the one I mentioned above was the one with the faulty stock. That is what stopped me from "pulling the trigger" on that deal.

(Because I'm sure that I'm the first person on this forum to use the "pulling the trigger" pun)

settleitinthering

1/4 in 22.2
    Jul 1, 2012
    Woodbine
    I'm in the market for one of these simply for plinking, and the quality of the hardwood stocks have been really disappointing.

If any owners could weigh in, that'd be great as I hope my bad experience is an anomaly.

Thanks

What's wrong with the quality of the hardwood stock? A friend purchased one over the weekend and the stock seemed just fine to me.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I love 10/22's. I have two. One is a carbine and one is a takedown. I just bought one for my mother in law. The stock was fine on it. I am going to get another one for me and put some kind of kit on it. If you do not like the stock, get a stainless steel one. They come with the synthetic stock. Unless you are using it for hunting be sure to go out of state to get some BX25 mags.

PKendall10

Oct 29, 2012
    Laurel/College Park
    I only meant to see if anyone else experienced a similar problem with the quality of the hardwood stocks. I'm sorry for not specifying my intentions in the OP.

The stock had damage in the very front where it had multiple gouges on both side, this was at a Dicks Sporting goods in Glen Burnie.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I only meant to see if anyone else experienced a similar problem with the quality of the hardwood stocks. I'm sorry for not specifying my intentions in the OP.

That being said, I am very well aware the many models of 10/22's as well as the vast aftermarket for them.

I recommend the Hogue stock if you don't want wood. It's very comfortable and durable.

settleitinthering

1/4 in 22.2
    Jul 1, 2012
    Woodbine

The stock had damage in the very front where it had multiple gouges on both side, this was at a Dicks Sporting goods in Glen Burnie.

Got ya. Dick's in GB is where my friend bought his. I always have them (any gun dealer, especially a Big Box store) take the EXACT one I am going to purchase out of the box so I can inspect it prior to purchase. Of course, I always ask nicely first and have never had anyone say "no." One time, a rifle I was going to pick up had major "scratches" and "door dings" on it, but they went back to the stock room and grabbed me another one that wasn't all boogered up. Ask nicely and be friendly...that's the kicker.

Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    I'm with you on the 10/22 stock. The ones I've held are not up to my standards.

Eventually I'll probably get past the idea of a $200 .22 rifle that I'm immediately going to replace the stock on, but I haven't yet... probably because the rumor is that they aren't all that accurate out of the box either.

The used Marlin 60 anniversary edition I picked up on here is just the opposite in both areas however.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I assume the OP either means characterless wood or less than perfect woodwork around the lower receiver near the magazine slot. Both are relatively normal, in my experience. I wouldn't have passed up a $179 deal because of either. It's a low-cost rifle made to shoot and enjoy, not to be a museum piece. Through normal use, you're bound to add more than a few character marks to the stock yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom