• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    My daughter is looking for a job for the summer. She had a 3.7 GPA, is on the women's wrestling team, winner of a ROTC scholarship and has reliable transportation. She is a very pleasant and a quick learner. In no way is she an entitled snowflake. She has an incredible work ethic.
    Looking in the Towson, hunt valley general area.
    She would like something other than waiting tables or retail.
    Let me know what you have or might know of.

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    My daughter is looking for a job for the summer. She had a 3.7 GPA, is on the women's wrestling team, winner of a ROTC scholarship and has reliable transportation. She is a very pleasant and a quick learner. In no easy is she an entitled snowflake. She has an incredible work ethic.
    Looking in the Towson, hunt valley general area.
    She would like something other than waiting tables or retail.
    Let me know what you have or might know of.
    I would expect no less from your bloodline. She sounds like someone who would prefer using her hands and her brains. Best of luck to her.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    If over 18 and as advertised, look at some of the jobs/internships available with the trades. National association of women in construction is another potential resource.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If over 18 and as advertised, look at some of the jobs/internships available with the trades. National association of women in construction is another potential resource.
    Not a bad idea. If I was staying in the trade, I would offer a summer job here. It is a bit of a haul, but my carpet crew comes down here(Rockville) from White Marsh every day.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    I’d be huntin’ internships in earnest. Does she have any idea what field she’d eventually like to work in?

The last coed I assisted was sure she wanted to pursue a career in forensics and with some digging got an internship at a Medical Examiners Office (filing papers and answering phones quickly turned into a LOT more interesting assistance, also to her credit and due to her work ethic, etc.)

Thing is, one does not want to procrastinate - there are some positively mind blowing internship opportunities out there and the best of them can require applying a year in advance.

Believe it or not but, a lot of local elected officials are aware of internship opportunities.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Thanks guys. We didn't think about internships. Its a bit late for this year for an internship. Will def look into that for next summer.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i started a pet sitting business way back when i was in junior high. just put up a bunch of flyers all over (way pre internet...). rode my bicycle all over reston va for that. some people had me come by 3x/day when away on vacation, or just at lunch for those at work.

maybe too late, maybe not, for an internship. can't hurt to check around. lots of govt ones. i forget the agency, but my first was geo tagging satellite maps with actual road data, precursor to gps. they liked me so much it extended to part time when college was in session. 2nd (last two years of college) was with the navy accounting and finance center in crystal city. we basically researched and fixed everything that fell out of the system, mismatched and the like. of course, they let us run amok at the pentagon from time to time... met my current wife there!

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    The ROTC would lean me to calling defense contractors in the area, like Textron or other. Northrup is near BWI and many more around. They like to work with military and recruit from the same. It is quite possible as a graduate she could have a job working with the same contractors or good work experience to be assigned to that.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Thanks guys. We didn't think about internships. Its a bit late for this year for an internship. Will def look into that for next summer.
    Sundazes, How is she as far as Computer skills? Writing, organized etc?

The reason I ask is both my fiancee and her 2 daughters and even her son work for colleges. Daughter number 2 is at UMBC, Daughter Number 1 and Fiancee is at UMGC formerly UMUC, and son is at College Park in Geography dept.

I can run her search by them and see if their schools have opportunities. As best I know, they all have some measure of working from home as well as some on campus work. None are full time On Campus ATMoment,

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    The ROTC would lean me to calling defense contractors in the area, like Textron or other. Northrup is near BWI and many more around. They like to work with military and recruit from the same. It is quite possible as a graduate she could have a job working with the same contractors or good work experience to be assigned to that.
    Good post there Archeryrob

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Sundazes, How is she as far as Computer skills? Writing, organized etc?

The reason I ask is both my fiancee and her 2 daughters and even her son work for colleges. Daughter number 2 is at UMBC, Daughter Number 1 and Fiancee is at UMGC formerly UMUC, and son is at College Park in Geography dept.

I can run her search by them and see if their schools have opportunities. As best I know, they all have some measure of working from home as well as some on campus work. None are full time On Campus ATMoment,
    WFH would be ideal she is in training year round. Her computer skills are good. Phone skills even better :innocent0. She is a business major and minor in sports medicine.the search would be appreciated.

Good idea. She will contract if all works out this fall. But she goes to OCU
    and will have to go back in mid Aug, so I am not sure how that plays onto things.

Also, some restaurants actually yield huge tips. Daughter number 2 worked at one in Ellicott City and sometimes made $600+ a night regularly if I recall.
    Yea, I told her she could make bank. But due to her training, she needs a morning/brunch gig. She trains with several clubs in the evenings. She would have to work our a schedule to work nights.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Gotcha, this info helps.

How mechanical is she?
    Any chance she would do manual labor like yard work, carpenters helper, tile, plumbing, electrical, go fer type work?
    She would need training, but it not opposed to it. Her first question was how much does it pay. It would also be a good for her cardio.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    She would need training, but it not opposed to it. Her first question was how much does it pay. It would also be a good for her cardio.
    She has wrestled and trained on a national level. She was ranked as high as 12th in the nation in HS. My point is she is not afraid of hard work and takes direction well. She has a wrestling scholarship (among others), so she understands commitment.
    The level of coaches that she has trained with would not give her the time of day until she proved herself in the room. Now they call her to help. She didn't start wrestling until her freshman year in high school. She ended her HS career as a 2 time state champ. That in itself shows her level of work ethic and commitment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom