• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I was reloading some once-fired Winchester 22-250 brass and the rim of the neck rolled on one of the cartridges. Is this safe to shoot or should I dispose of it?

3egy7yhy.jpg

7anetaru.jpg

u7y2y4ap.jpg

ju6uzuta.jpg

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    That should remove the roll, otherwise, it won't even likely chamber in your firearm, so pull it and salvage what you can.. lol

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    It won't chamber as-is. Either toss it or take it apart and fix it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Pull the bullet and powder.

IMO, that case is toast. The brass is crimped, so it will be a weak/hard spot.

I would not chance it.

And DEFINITELY do not try to fire this round. Even if you can chamber it, it can spike the pressure.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    The powder makes great, but expensive lawn fertilizer. Just put it on a dust pan and spread it wide.

I put trouble cases in a firearm and pull the trigger to fire the primer.

An alternative is to put it in oil. It is said to deactivate the primer.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    This is one I reloaded. I used a Lee Loader kit and a mallet. I'm not sure how this happened. I resized, cleaned off the case lube, chamfered and deburred inside and outside the neck. I made sixty rounds this morning and this was the only one that came out like this. I think it was number 4/60.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    This is one I reloaded. I used a Lee Loader kit and a mallet. I'm not sure how this happened. I resized, cleaned off the case lube, chamfered and deburred inside and outside the neck. I made sixty rounds this morning and this was the only one that came out like this. I think it was number 4/60.

I'm not familiar with the Lee loader kits, but you would think the pin would have brought that out when it came out of the case.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Yeah, I don't know how it happened. I pour the powder into a funnel and then into the case and I would have noticed a nick or dent in the neck. Plus I would have noticed when deburring by hand. Only one turned out like this.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I'd put it in some water for awhile.
    Did you reload that cartridge? If so you might want to check your sizing die.

Killing primers is one of the things WD-40 is good for. Or without bullet or powder you could chamber it and shoot it. Without the bullet it won't get stuck.
    If you run it through the sizing decapping die, it will go off DAMHIK

I've had the case mouth get dented if a flat base bullet was canted. This was in a 223 with turned neck cases. Stuff happens.

DocSavage

The Man of Bronze
    May 30, 2012
    Crofton
    I've had the case mouth get dented if a flat base bullet was canted. .

This exact thing has happened to me in resizing my .223 cases. If I get to far ahead f myself, this will happen on my Hornady LnL press. The decapping pin catches an edge. Rolls it up EXACTLY as your picture shows. When it happens, goes right into the 300BLK bin for processing.

Cheers,

Doc Savage

Karl

Mar 7, 2013
    Never had a live primer go off when depriming.
    They just plop out and most of them has been reusable.

Donald1818

Aug 22, 2013
    Baltimore
    I am new to reloading and just finishing -tooling up my work area.
    I have had a few crushed cases because i was learning how to adjust things, anyway i just ran the MT case back through the de-primer and salvaged my primers, so far, non have discharged.?

Perhaps that is not practicing safety? if i need to be corrected please notify me, otherwise why waste a primer.

Oh yeah, just cut the neck off and turn it into a 300BO or put it in a box or bag and trade it out to someone who reloads 300Bo, why waste the brass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom